Got my first deer!

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Newbie 9mm, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Newbie 9mm

Newbie 9mm

Well, I have been out this weds and thurs without even seeing a deer. I went out again this morning, and shot a 137 lb dressed, 7 or 8 point (depending if you count the little nub at the base of one antler) buck. Did my first gutting job with my uncle helping me out, and will be butchering it next week! I tagged it with a heart lung shot straight thru with a 165 grain .308 Sierra Game King loaded by Federal. Not much left of the heart, just some chunks. I shot at it and it started running, so I got it again when it was running broadside to me, and it folded up and rolled and then dropped about 15 feet from where it was hit. I know the second shot hit it, but I may have hit it with my first shot, there is an exit wound, but I didn't see any blood where the first shot was and we havent seen the second entrance wound. We will find out when we finish dressing out and processing it. The bullet may have split and had 2 exit wounds, who knows! All in all, a great and exciting morning! No pics yet cuz my camera phone sucks :(

2. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

if you can hang a ring on it, it counts;V

congrats on your deer and good story...i havent seen anything the past 3 consecutive evenings including this morning. i did see a bobcat though and that was pretty cool. those game kings are really nice bullets, good report

3. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Your description of the wounds is a little confusing.

You may have hit with your first shot, and missed with the second. Deer could have taken time to drop.

Seems unlikely you would miss the standing shot, then hit the running shot.

4. Newbie 9mm

Newbie 9mm

Sorry, been up since 4am when i wrote that! I took the first shot, and I either missed or hit him farther back, like about 12" behind the shoulder. He took off then, and I tagged him again and saw him do the tuck and roll. There was lots of blood and heart/lung tissue right where I took the shot which was clean thru, and that was the second shot. I didn't see any sign by the place where the first shot went, and that one would have been a pass thru because there was a hole on the far side of the deer. Would have thought there would be some stuff there, but i couldn't find any. Where the second shot taged him, there was the bright pink, frothy blood and bits of organ.

I'm much better at trap and skeet than rifle in field positions, plus I can't see my shaking thru the scope as much! :) I was shaking pretty bad after the first shot, got mad that I missed, so I shot again. Definelty a fun time, and I will post when we butcher it to see if it was hit twice by me, or if I missed it.

5. Newbie 9mm

Newbie 9mm

Well, we skinned and butchered the deer today! It turns out I did hit him twice. One shot was thru the lungs and heart, as I suspected, and the other shot hit just rear of the rib cage and went thru at a forward angle and came out the other side of the rib cage, a few inches from the rear edge. It looks like the bullet may have nicked the stomach or something as it went forward. I got the ribs marinating now for the night, and a nice tenderloin for tomorrow's breakfast with some scrambled eggs :) I got around 24 packets of steaks, and 4 packets of stew meat, and the rib racks. Also, I got some neck to make mincemeat from, and we haven't ground up the other stuff yet for the burgers, chili and jerky :) Each packet is around 1 to 1.5 lbs, some are more!

Still waiting on better pics, and I will be mounting the antlers as soon as my mounting kit comes from Cabelas!

6. Hunterjbb

Hunterjbb

my first buck.. was scared to death.. guess what.. I don't think they have gotten much easier over the last 30 years or so..still shake when a nice one comes into view.. Only difference is now i'm a lot more picky about what i shoot.. :) it just keeps getting harder to drag them buggers.. lol..

Congratulations !.. enjoy the good eating.

Jeff.

7. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

So... Where's the pics?

8. Newbie 9mm

Newbie 9mm

Got better pics now!

9. Sharker

Sharker

10. Newbie 9mm

Newbie 9mm

11. Newbie 9mm

Newbie 9mm

12. Newbie 9mm

Newbie 9mm

Well, the ribs came out great, still got a lot of meat from them left. I am refridgerating some meat for jerky now, I will do that up tomorrow am.