Got my first deer last weekend!!!

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by sp3worker, Oct 31, 2005.

1. sp3worker

sp3worker chief wahoo

After hunting for 3 years here in Indiana for deer, I finally got one. I was hunting in Southern Indiana, near Paoli on my lease. It was early Saturday morning, about 7:00 AM. I had just got settled in in my stand maybe 15 to 20 minutes before he showed up. It was still kind of dark so I couldn't see him or his head gear very well. He came in from my right and crossed a dried up creek that was running parrellel to me. As he came up there were a couple trees that blocked him from seeing me, so I stood up and drew back my bow. He waited behind these trees for a minute, and finally steped out about 10 yds in front of me to my left. He gave me a perfect broadside shot, so I yelled to him to get him to stop. When he did I let my arrow fly. I saw him buck up and spin 180, he then ran down the hill in front of me. I heard some crashing through the woods down on the bottom of the hill to my right over on the neighbors property.

I waited about a half hour, then got down to look for my arrow and blood. I found my arrow but no blood anywhere on the ground. I looked at my arrow for blood, there was only a little bit on the fletching and shaft along with little bits of flesh and hair. This had me worried, I knew I hit him but not well. I decided the best thing to do was get back up in my stand and sit for a couple more hours, so he wouldn't run as far. When I went back up to the house I told my buddy and the owner that I think I shot a buck early in the morning, but could find no blood. Just my buddy and I went to look for blood at first, we searched for about an hour finding none anywhere. I was starting to really worry at this point, I didn't think we would find it. Then the owner showed up with his dogs. Now, these weren't hounds, they were great pyrinese, but they can track deer with the best of them. They found blood about 5 minutes after they got down there and it took them about another 10 to pick up and start following the blood trail. We followed the dogs for almost a half mile onto the neighbors property. The blood was starting to get pretty heavy. Then we seen the dogs laying down and my buddy said that he bets the deer is withing 100 yds to the owner. We didn't even notice that they were laying right next to it.

As I said earlier, it was kind of dark yet when I shot so I couldn't really see how big the antlers were. Well I told the guys up at the house that I thought it was a small eight pointer. I hadn't yet looked at it and I had my back turned and the owner said, "Now before you turn around, how big was it again?" I thought to myself, maybe I shot a smaller buck than I thought. But much to my suprise when I turned around I seen a nice set of antlers wedged around a log on the ground where it had fallen. When we got up to it I looked on the body for holes where the arrow went through and didn't see any. I found a hole through his neck instead. The arrow went through his wind pipe perfectly, not exactly the shot I thought I took, but a fatal one anyway. I don't know what happened to make my shot come out like that, but was happy that I was able to find the deer.

I then had a nice long drag up hill through the thorns, rocks and trees. We loaded it up on the four wheeler when we got it to a clearing in the woods at the top of the hill. Then brought it up to the barn to clean it and let it cool overnight. When I checked it in, I weighed it at about 190 lbs dressed. The next morning the owner and I got to work skinning and quartering the deer while my buddy hunted. He only seen a doe, but next week we are going down to hunt for 9 days. So, I'm sure I'll shoot a couple does to fill my freezer extra full. One of the dogs that helped track it down is in the pic below, the other wouldn't cooperate for the picture.

[​IMG]

2. Catbird

Catbird loves guns!

Not that this has anything to do with anything, but...

Today, I was out mowing on my John Deere and was just finishing up when I spotted a fullsize doe (I think) meandering/grazing in my back yard about 30 yards away. It acted like it couldn't care less about me or what I was doing. I see many deer in my yard, but none so uninhibited as this one today.

3. Hunterjbb

Hunterjbb

Deer, and in the dawn like that who know's what you did or if the deer jumped your string or was moving a little when you shot, glad you found him though would be a shame to loose such a nice one.

I have fond memories of Great Pyrenees named Duke.. Duke was a big dog, even for Pyrenees and i'll never forget the day we drove up to his farm house and my brother said isn't that Duke in the field? What the heck is he carrying?.. i couldn't tell.. we met him at the barn, he was carrying the rear Leg of a deer.. looked like it was pretty fresh, of course he was NONE to happy with us surveying HIS leg.. so we got his owner.. he decided the better part of valor was to leave well enough alone till Duke lost interest.. Don't know where he got it although we did look, and Duke was a very freindly dog, in all other circumstances.. lol.. He was killed by a car about two weeks later..

Jeff..

4. Walter45Auto

Walter45Auto

5. sp3worker

sp3worker chief wahoo

The three dogs he has, all great pyrenese, had a deer carcass and other assorted deer parts for dinner a couple weekends in a row. My buddy shot a doe last weekend, he wouldn't have found it if we didn't have the dogs.
    [​IMG]