close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Got my CC # stolen...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by 88_gurgel, Jan 31, 2010.

1. 88_gurgel

88_gurgel

I went to do a weekly check of my CC statement and there was a $616 charge from Sears on there. I didn't spend any money at Sears... :crying:

Called the CC company, first call no help, she said call the number on the transaction and figure it out.

second call to CC company, talked to someone with some knowledge and said we can put a hold on that for you.

Great! so I put a two week hold on the account to see if any more weird transactions come through before I start disputing charges. I will gladly pay for the things I purchased so I don't want to dispute until I have all the information. :faint:

Anyone Else get their card stolen?

I am very seriously considering Dave Ramsey's advice to close all CC accounts and pay cash for everything.

Any other advice for me? I have never had this happen before so I am a little lost as to the process.

Thanks

2. viniglock

viniglock

Yeap my got stolen, but it was cancel withing minutes of being stolen! You have to check you accounts every day!

3. megadittos

megadittos

Yes I have had it happen. I disputed all charges and all money was credited back $900, two weeks later the cc company called and asked if I made a charge to some sporting place for 300+ and I said no. They canceled my card sent me a new one.
    Problem is try to rent a hotel or buy a plain ticket without a cc. What a pain in the arse. Just check your online account once a week and report anything you did not charge.

4. 88_gurgel

88_gurgel

Problem being that my card doesn't post immediately. It posts a few days after it occurs and back dates it. It happened on Tuesday last week and the soonest I would have known about it would have been Friday. I am planning on closing this account permanently due to this delay of posting. I don't like not having an instant update of my expenses.

5. viniglock

viniglock

Good move. Some credit cards, have an idea of you spending habits and when something is not normal they will contact you with the suspicious activity.

6. Swiper

Swiper

My wife and I had two of our CC information stolen online. Somebody hacked an online merchant and stole all the credit card information stored in the database. Apparently, the numerous culprits went on a big spending spree all over the country (hotel stays, computer purchases, sex phone calls, etc).

Upon discovery of the theft, we immediately notified the CC company and had them freeze the stolen CCs. We then filed a police report and a report with the Internet Crime Complain Center (IC3). After that we disputed all fraudulent transactions with our credit card company. We got issued new credit cards within a week and did not have to pay any of the fraudulent charges.

I would suggest that you do about the same.

7. Swiper

Swiper

Yes, it has become more common for CC companies to freeze credit cards if they suspect fraudulent activities. My credit company became so overzealous with it that I considering canceling my card with them. We lived in Germany for four years with the military and we got declined numerous times when trying to pay in stores there. Apparently, the CC company got in a habit to identify our purchases at the military commissary as 'suspicious overseas transactions'. Didn't matter how many times we told them that we live overseas and that all of our transactions was overseas transactions.

8. 88_gurgel

88_gurgel

Thanks for the advice.

This is so frustrating and shouldn't be happening in our society.

9. packinaglock

packinaglock John 3:16

A couple of years ago this happened to me and some azz clown charged up over a thousand dollars at the liquor store. :steamed:

10. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

This has happened to me twice now. Both times I was alerted by my CC company before I noticed a thing. They called me up to inquire about some out of town purchases. Something about the charges being made 1,500 miles away while I was making some myself here at home. I was impressed by their attention to the matter.
    I wasn't held accountable either time.

11. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

Crazy question, but is your card through your bank? Or tied in with your account rather? The few times I've had to worry about fraudulent charges and/or stolen card, they've been real quick at issuing me a new card and/or how to go about disputing the charge (before you could do it online).

12. 88_gurgel

88_gurgel

This account is not associated with my bank. I will pause all transactions until the latest ones go through and see what becomes of it. My latest transaction was Saturday night so I have a couple days to wait before everything posts to my account. I don't think they have maxed the account as my credit remaining is still pretty high in relation to my credit availability. That usually posts immediately but the transactions take a few days.... pretty disapointing. I didn't think it was a big deal until this happened. Now I will have to be more aware.

13. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

It happens each and every day to people. I have been the vicim more than once.

14. glocknick

glocknick

i just dealt with this 3 months ago. someboby bought clothes online from kmart and had them shipped somewhere in california. we were first told we probably bought something and maybe it was some sort of reoccuring charge. well the idiot did nothing and the same theif charged the card again. finally we got a hold of some with some idea of what they were doing and froze the account and sent us out new cards and credit our account.

15. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

Renewed an ad for my house listed below, to a UK website. Transaction was declined, and I received two text messages, one email, and a phone call from bank of america within 1 minute inquiring about fraudulent activity. I had to call to have my card reactivated, and then proceed with the transaction.

16. okie

okie GT Mayor

Good luck to ya 88, I hope you can get everything figured out:alex:

17. fmfdocglock

fmfdocglock

It's happened to me twice, both with BoA.

Got resolved pretty quick both times.

I use a credit monitoring service to prevent damage to my credit history.

18. 88_gurgel

88_gurgel

Anyone use lifelock?

19. Swiper

Swiper

20. javi

javi

Twice in less than 30 days... BofA and Capital One, they both notified me within minutes of the charges... they ended up crediting my account back and issuing new cards. When they stole my Capital One card they were able to get me email address also, opened an account with the post office and got a bunch of shipping labels, got all the confirmations sent to my email address... really frustrating!