close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Got my Canon 20D! Anyone else here have one?

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by scowan007, Oct 4, 2004.

1. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

So far, I really like this camera. I got the kit with the lens that is essentially the same as the one that ships with the Dig. Rebel. The kit lens ain't nuttin to write home about. Images are noticeably sharper with my ancient (non - USM) 70-210 f/4. Am really looking forward to getting the new IS 17-85 (and maybe the non-IS 70-200 f/2.8L).

First bummer - my nice Quantaray flash that I got for my EOS 10s doesn't work at all with the 20D, but it does have a slave mode, so I can still use it some.

There are a lot of features and options, and I am fumbling around a bit, but for the most part, the controls seem logical.

2. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

How is the shutter lag? What about focusing speed? Does it feel as "instant" (relative term) as with the film EOS1?

3. SanduneCC

SanduneCC Senior Member

There's a widespread "camera lock up" problem going on. Canon just issued a firmware upgrade today. I've had mine for 2 weeks and so far no problem yet. The mirror is loud though.

4. SanduneCC

SanduneCC Senior Member

Shutter lag? What shutter lag? Focusing speed is instant! The body feels a little light and plasticy - but what do you expect for $1500? Next steps up are the 1DMII for $4500 or 1DsMII for $8000.

5. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

Shutter -I haven't tried the EOS1, but its as fast as my EOS 10s.

Focus - Very fast. But I don't have any good USM lenses, just my 10 year old EF lenses and the kit lens. I can't wait to try with a recent gen USM lens.

I guess experienced digital SLR types may find this camera loud, but to me its quieter than a film camera because it doesn't have the film motor drive.

The magnesium body doesn't feel cheap to me at all. Hey, it ain't a block of iron like a Nikon F4, but it is nice and solid. The grip section has a tactile rubber surfacing on it, which some may feel is "plasticy."

I'm holding off on the firmware upgrade. I already almost screwed up once. Did a sensor clean just for the heck of it and the battery dies in the middle. The manual said that "if there was enough battery power left" it would let you do a sensor clean. Well the manual warns permanent damage may occur if you shut the camera off while cleaning, so I was freaking out the whole time the battery was recharging

6. SanduneCC

SanduneCC Senior Member

Someone posted this over at the Canon EOS board. Said this was the menu after the firmware upgrade. ;f ;f ;f
    [​IMG]

7. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

That's good news. That was my primary concern. Oly3040 is a nice enough camera (it's paid itself many times over in the pleasure it brought me), but the shutter lag is terrible, and the focusing speed is subpar.

8. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Speaking of which, is the sensor totally exposed when changing lenses? Perhaps buying two bodies would be better, but the added weight does matter when hiking.

9. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

The mirror is exposed, just like a film SLR. I'm just getting back into this, but if i remember right, the mirror is down until shutter release. protecting the sensor/film/shutter curtain.

Experts, please feel free to correct me if i'm remembering this wrong.

10. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

That would be the right way to do it. To be precise, I was curious if there was a seal around the mirror (assuming it stays down during the lens change) to protect the sensor from elements.

11. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

Just took this shot off the patio. ISO 100 - 210mm - f/6 (I think), 4 seconds. exposure corrected to minus 2. Still a bit overexposed, adjusted brightness in PS elements (which I have NO IDEA how to use!). Did "save for web" to make reasonable size.

12. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

me not smart enough to answer hard question.:) me go play with shiny thing.

Good question. Now I'm nervous. Do I need to change lenses in a changing bag? THanks for the worries!!!;P ;f

13. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

;a

I've searched through discussion forums at http://www.dpreview.com/, and it appears that only 1D is properly weather sealed. That's one of the differentiators between the "pro" and the "prosumer" grade.

I guess that means that one has at least to point the camera down during the lens change and try to avoid overly dusty places. On the good side, 20D appears to have a mirror lockup which should make serious sensor cleaning procedure that much easier.

14. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Nice view!

15. hile

hile

Nice shot!

And I would love to have the money for that camera.

16. JennYe

JennYe

You noted the latest update?

EOS 20D Firmware Update Version 1.0.5

(The one without the hangup.)

17. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

yup. heard about the probs with 1.0.4, so I waited. 1.0.5 seems to be working fine. Shot about 300 pictures this weekend (and 2 good ones;)) without any problems.