close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Got me a dot, now for some questions!!

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by DaleGribble, Oct 19, 2004.

1. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

I picked up a used Carver Hunter mount and a C-more, both black ;f, for the G17 and now I'll be swimming in the deep end, but I got a couple of questions first.

First, what dot size is best for GSSF? It's currently set up with a 6 moa dot so I know I'll be fine for the 25 yard target, but should I get something bigger for the plates? Second, if I use the six on the M and five to Glock can I switch to say a 10 moa dot for the plates and still be zeroed in?

Next, at what distance do you guys zero your dot? This gun is primarily going to be used for Steel Challenge matches where some of the steel will be out to 35 yards, so do I need to zero it at 35 yards and just remember to put the dot a little lower on the closer targets, or is there some middle ground where I zero at say 20 yards?

2. Rikki

Rikki Pathetic Loser

I shoot Bullseye with a dot-n-Glock, I find my g-19 shoots poa at both 25 and 50yds, and I suspect your '17' will too.
    As for dot size, I like the smallest dot size on the dimmest but visible setting for slow fire target work...running plates is different (for me)- I like 6moa fairly bright.. I DON'T like changing dot sizes-mine will hold 'zero' but I find it more helpful to have the same sight picture every time...

3. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

The 6MOA is a good all-around size.;)

4. Clem

Clem

Good morning, Dale. As Danny said, 6 moa is a good all-around dot size. I don't recommend changing the dot module during a match. Just keep the 6 moa module & vary the intensity with your switch according to distance/light conditions. I sight mine in for 10-15 yards (where the majority of shots in a GSSF match are), and then hold 1-2" LOW at 20-25 yards. With mine sighted in close, they shoot high at the longer distances (angle of barrel in relation to line of sight of the optics, at least with factory ammo :) :)). Give it a try - you should find the same results. BTW, it was a pleasure to meet you & visit briefly in Conyers. Welcome to the DEEP END!! Have fun & watch the dot!! Take care. Tony.

5. jjayh

jjayh

The variation in point of aim will vary more with your Hunter model mount since it sets a little higher off the slide. I personally like to sight in at 20 yards (using the Hunter), the 5 yarder on 5 to glock will hit a bit low, but the rest are "close enough" for GSSF.

Jerry

6. GJM89

GJM89

Tony. I still have the special, you can't miss, ammo I made for you for Conyer's, it must have slipped your mind. ;Q ;Q ;Q

7. TrooperDan

TrooperDan

Glenn, was that ammo you made for Tony your special two-bullets-in-one-case ammo? I recommend it highly!!:) :) Remington ahs nothing on you!

Dan & Nan

PS Bring more canoles! :)

8. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Tony, if you used reloads they would hit dead on at 25.... slower is better.... ;f

9. BCarver

BCarver CLM Millennium Member

DaleGribble,
    Congratulations on your decision to purchase one of our mounts and a CMore. Like Clem and Danny have said, the 6 MOA is all around the best. We have tested many sizes and found that the 6MOA is the best. Why?
    Because:
    1. When shooting a GSSF target at 25 yards, the dot is small enough that when you hold it in the center of the X, you can see the ring around it. This helps in centering the dot.

2. It's large enough that it will allow you to center it easily in the center of the plates.

3. A dot any smaller will wash out in bright sunlight when you are shooting white steel.

I sight my Glocks in at 25 yards and hold center on all of the targets. This asset will allow you to focus upon the center of each target and not have to worry about holding high or low.

Let me remind you, "our mounts have a lifetime warranty".

Thanks,
    Bobby Carver
    B&B Enterprise
    "Home of the CARVER Mount"

10. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Tony, it was nice meeting and watching you shoot!

I still haven't been able to get to the range to sight the C-more in yet. I'll try sighting it in at 15, 20 and 25 and see which one works best.

Bobby, the mount seems like a really solid design, so far I like it! Mounting was a breeze to, I didn't even need the directions! ;f

With the hunter sitting so high will I be able to to get the dot where POA and POI are the same?

11. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Dale, I'm following this with interest and hope to hear your full impressions. I got a chance to meet Bobby at Hallsville and briefly get my hands on his gun with that mount. I sorta like the slightly lower feel (dp177 lets me handle his stuff, what a guy) but the versatility of the Hunter mount intrigues me. You'll have to let us know if it's as much ridiculous fun as it looks. ;f

12. BCarver

BCarver CLM Millennium Member

Dale,
    Yes, you will be able to get your dot to be at your POA. Just sight your Glock in and then shoot at a spot on a target with your dot, then aim at the same spot with your iron sights. You'll hit the same spot.

Have fun!!!
    Bobby

13. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

Thanks Bobby.

I finally got to the range to try out the C-more and Hunter mount and I'm impressed. Sighted it in and sure enough at 25 yards it hits to point of aim! I didn't have one single ejection problem either, the brass was clearing the mount without a problem! The Hunter mount gets two thumbs up from me! ^c ^c

I do have one problem though, it seemed like I went through my ammo a lot quicker! ;f I can't wait to shoot in Unlimited at the next match!

WIG, if you're thinking about getting one, do it man, you'll love it. It's totally different than shooting iron sights. It took me about 200 rounds to really get used to it, but once I did the plates started falling faster than usual.
    I'm already thinking about buying another Glock to build strictly as an unlimited gun!