close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Got Liability Insurance?

Discussion in 'Business Forum' started by Anon1, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Anon1

Anon1

Hello,

Does anyone have professional liability insurance for their small business/sole proprietorship? Any tips, links, needed limits, etc?

Thanks.

2. Str8shootr

Str8shootr

We own commercial real estate. Besides building insurance on each property, we carry a 3 million dollar umbrella, that covers all the partners. I think it costs around $1,000/year, not in the office so I think I am close on that figure.

3. kestrou

kestrou Pin Member #4

Anon1,

:soap: Don't get me started on insurance! ;6

I have professional liability insurance on one of my businesses and actually needed it. Well, at least I could have used it.

We were sued by a client for "services rendered" and my carrier immediately wanted to settle. I said "No, this is a BS lawsuit and I'm not going to just settle - let's fight it!"

Well, since the carrier wanted to settle instead of fight, they paid for none of the defense! :(

Net result is: I paid about $10K out of pocket and won.

So, my experience is: Professional Liability Insurance is something you have to have, but don't count on actually getting any value for your money.

kestrou

4. Bruce H

Bruce H

I cary a million policy on the farm. Since I'm cash grain the premium is small compaired to a livestock operation. Just protection for the idiot that is tresspassing and hurts themselves.

5. Anon1

Anon1

Thanks for the replies.

The insurance is a necessary evil that I need to have in order to get some specific freelance jobs. With more and more "independents" working these days I thought I might get more info than I'm able to find.