close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Got Glock for Christmas..newbie, some Q's

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by PADZZ, Dec 27, 2002.

1. PADZZ

PADZZ

I've read most posts on this site, and have some additional questions.
    My wife got me a G22 for Christmas:cool: ..yeah, she's nice:) Anyway, is there any kind of break in suggestions on a new Glock? Went through 50 rds. on Chrismas and like how if feels. I've never claimed to be a great show, but was hitting center body mass from 20 yds...med group no prob. Where I work, we carry a G23 I believe...the slightly smaller .40.
    Anywhere to buy the 17 rd. mags?..New?
    How can I tell what gen mine is? date of manufacture is July I believe. What are the differences?
    I'd like to upgrade to night sights...recommendations?
    Anyway, great site...look forward to wasting many sleepless hours here.

Thanks!

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

You say "where you work"... If you are a Police Officer, you can get LEO 15rd mags directly from Glock I believe.. with Dept. Letterhead. If just a normal civilian, I'd ditch the idea of NEW 15rd mags, for at least a year or so. The .40 does not have 17rd mags, to my knowledge.

As for the break in, only break in it needs, is to keep shooting it.

3. DWMAC

DWMAC

As for what generation you have, if it was made in july '02, you have a 3rd gen pistol. There are better autorities than me on this site that's for sure, but, if I'm not mistaken,

Gen 1 pistols had no accessory rail under the frame and no updated internal parts and slide rails.

Gen 2 pistols had updated "guts" and slide rails, but still no accessory rail. Gen 1 pistols could be sent to glock for the "guts" and slide rail upgrades for free, I think.

Gen 3 pistols have all of the above and the finger grooves you mentioned. I've got a '23, too (gen 2). Congrats on your new shooter. You must've been REEEAAALLY good this year.

4. Gary G23

Gary G23

As far as the night sights are concerned I would recommend Meprolight fixed sights.

5. Screaming .357G

Screaming .357G 598ci big block

The mags are 15 round for a preban.
    You can however get a plus 2 extension for them:)

Oh and did you know that you can get a Glock factory 31 barrel to shoot .357 sig and then you have two guns in one???

Its a direct swap with nothing more than lifting out the barrel and then putting in the other one.

Most of the time the .40 mags work with the .357 sig ammo if not you will need a .357 sig follower in the mag and a new mag spring.

6. Ferdinand

Ferdinand Happy-Go-Glocky

PADZZ,
    Congratulations!!! I've got one of those too, a wife I mean. My wife did the same for me last '01 Christmas. Aren't they fabulous? I mean the wives and of course the "Gs". Maybe because I was a good boy all year or possibly just flat out fear of those Al-Qaida rag-heads. Anyway ended up with a 3rd Gen G22 with Mepros, 4 xtra mags and a fobus paddle holster and dual mag pouch.
    If your build date was '02 then you have a 3rd Gen. exterior characteristics are accessory rail, finger grooves and thumb rest on both sides of the frame. 2nd Gen. exterior differs with a straight front strap with etched grip panels and serrations on both fron and back strap. 1st Gen. frame is just down right ugly. Looks like a toy.
    I put 1,000 rounds of factory-produced ammo of all types and brands, which it gladly ate up flawlessly before carrying it on my person. This Christmas I prayed for a "G23" to compliment my "G22" but she surprised me with a HkUSP-SC .40S&W. I know it's not "G Perfection" but who's going to complain? Can’t return it now, missed Boxing Day. Anyway, sorry for being a bit long winded here. I feel your excitement man! Good Glock with your new "G Perfection".;j

7. Ferdinand

Ferdinand Happy-Go-Glocky

I like that idea! Glockmeister for barrels right?;N

8. Screaming .357G

yep:)
    glockmeister has the g31 barrels:)

I always like to use factory parts when I can.

9. PADZZ

PADZZ

Thanks for the repies!
    Glock 31 barrel? Where can a guy get one of those? If the ammo is cheaper, I don't see why I shouldn't get one.
    I work in the county jail;Q , under the Sheriff (just 12 more years to go). So if I get the Sheriff or Jail Commander to say I work there, I can send it to Glock and I get get HC mags?
    Yes, by the looks of it it's a 3rd gen....here's some gratuitous pics...the other one is a Makarov .380 ACP.

10. Screaming .357G

PADZZ,

The G31 barrel is used to convert the G22 (same size gun in .40) to .357 sig.
    The ammo is not cheaper but about the same and in a few places a bit higher than .40 ammo.

www.Georgia-arms.com has the best deals I have seen on .357 sig ammo in bulk though.

The way you can change the barrels on glocks is really pretty nice and it works like this with only a barrel change with factory barrel.

G31/G22
    G32/G23
    G33/G27

This will interchange both ways from or to .357 sig/.40 S&W