GlockTalk Forum banner

101 - 120 of 310 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Respect their wishes and dont carry a GUN. Go buy yourself a nice taser or Fox 5.3 and DONT TELL ANYONE!!!! That way, ethically your in the clear and still protected.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
The fact they had to ask you not to carry via a third party makes me think they don't know you that well, or that their opinion of you is that of someone who gets angry and confrontational. Probably not the case, but it's messed up...and guns are an emotional trigger for some people. I would definitely want to talk to them, from the perspective of becoming better educated yourself about the opinions and feelings of those people who are uncomfortable around guns. I wouldn't approach it as trying to convince them or offer tit-for-tat counterpoints...just listen to them and see where the attitude comes from. It might not be related to anything rational...maybe just a story on the news, or the experience of someone else. Remember this is bigger than just you carrying in their house (which I would respect, especially if they are friends and you want to keep them, rational opinions or not)...this is about an entire segment of the population's perception of firearms. You could learn a lot and help to change their minds with good listening, understanding, rational conversation and being a good example. Being an evangelical gun owner at this point might be counterproductive.

·
Registered
600 Posts
How do these people know you carry? Why discuss your security arrangements with people who have no clue? A bad move, who can tell when they might turn on you, and once they know your carrying, you've lost the element of suprise.

Parties and events can become attractors to all kinds of lowlifes. Do you want to be the only one, besides your hosts who are armed with a cake knife?Are they paying your medical bills in case you get robbed or injured while visiting their neighbors.

They have every right to be sheeple, you just don't have to play.

Another reason for deep cover firearms, not the old vest or fannie pack.

·
Banned
3,969 Posts
Hah, you should have seen her when I was growing up. You think it's bad now....oooohhh man. :shocked::wow: She had a NASTY temper. But I guess being a former alcoholic and coke addict raising two kids alone while her husband worked full time was quite a burden...

Anyways...back on track. I do not allow alcohol or drugs in my apartment. Period. Nobody also comes over without calling me first. Period. It is, therefore, only reasonable that such should be the same with others, in regards to my respect for their rules. I don't like it, but that's the way it is.

Most of the time, my parents don't even pay attention to the issue. But once in a while, if they ask if I'm carrying :steamed:, then I have to take it off. Again...I don't like it, and I don't agree that it makes anyone safer. But that's the way it is.
Again, I'm very sorry your mother is psychologically broken. I pity you for growing up in such a dreadfully scary household.

My advice (the worst vice) still stands.

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
I carry everywhere I go, if someone asks me not to carry around them/in their home I simply respect their wishes and stay away from them/their home.

Everybody wins!
Damn, first reply and it's a dead ringer. :cool:

Here's what you tell your friend:

My gun stays on me, therefore no gun = no me. I'll be somewhere other than your house the day of your daughter's birthday, however I will send a gift and tell her I wish her a happy birthday.

·
Part Time
4,756 Posts
My mother asked me not to carry in her home. I said "yeah right. Now go fix me some lunch." We've never discusssed it since. :supergrin:

I'm a bad mofo...

·
Anti-Federalist
1,997 Posts
So, if I were a good friend of yours and asked you not to pack heat in my house, yet you did anyway and simply not told me about it, it's not lying?

Okay, perhaps not lying but what about disrespect? You obviously held no respect for my wishes in my own home then. What kind of friend are you that would disrespect my wishes in my own home?
I would not carry in someones house if they asked me not to. Is that what you want to hear?

I can count on 2 hands the number of people that know I carry, and I have known those people for at least 15 years.

You will not find out I carry unless I am positive you won't have a problem with it.

If you do have a problem with it you will not be a good friend. I am very selective with whom I share that information with. If someone doesn't trust me with a gun, I don't wish to be their friend.

I have never been asked by an acquaintence, co-worker or friends if I am carrying a gun. It just doesn't come up. I do not discuss my gun ownership with every Tom, Dick & Harry I meet.

·
Anti-Federalist
1,997 Posts
I'm not concerned with being identified on the net.

I look nothing like John Goodman. :supergrin:

·
Banned
842 Posts
This thread is an example of why running your mouth can get you into problems.

Concealed means concealed. I don't inform anyone I am carrying, ever. I don't discuss it with my friends, I don't ask permission from my boss. The only person who knows I carry everyday is my wife.... and that's only because we keep our weapons in the same spot.

·
Registered
311 Posts
In general, carrying in someone's house is like smoking. Ask before you do it if you're going to talk about carrying and/or are sloppy about it. If you're not sloppy about it they would never know you carry. That's their space. Now that they've told you, directly or indirectly, not to carry in their house there should be no dilema. Don't do it. That's their castle. They weren't asking for a debate about the rules in their house, nor is there room for discussion when a person has lays down rules for their home. Get with the program or leave and don't come back until you can follow the rules. What on Earth happened to respecting someone's home for crying out loud?

·
Private side
11,390 Posts
Without reading all of the posts, and at risk of duplicating someone's advice, I say talk to them and tell them you won't carry but that you would really like to know why they feel uneasy about you carrying?
Did you give some indication you might let the kids play with the gun, or leave it unattended, or just go psycho? If they are your friends, maybe they won't mind talking to you.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Pretty simple in my eyes.

Their house, their rules, my life, my safety.

Bottom line for me = my Kel-Tec P3AT in a pocket holster, smile when I'm greeted at the door, and have a good time at the party.

Tim

·
Registered
443 Posts
I had a similar situation. I have some good friends who asked me a few years ago not to carry (I'm a LEO) when I'm at their house. No big deal, I don't carry in their home. It's their house, their rules. I leave it in the car. They don't live in a bad neighborhood and I feel like I can handle myself okay without a gun. Now, if they come to my house and I have one on then it stays on. It's my house, my rules. If they don't like my rules they can either get over it or not come to my house. Some goes for me and their rules. However, our friendship is more important than getting into a peeing contest over me disrespecting the rules of their house or vice versa. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I had a similar situation. I have some good friends who asked me a few years ago not to carry (I'm a LEO) when I'm at their house. No big deal, I don't carry in their home. It's their house, their rules. I leave it in the car. They don't live in a bad neighborhood and I feel like I can handle myself okay without a gun. Now, if they come to my house and I have one on then it stays on. It's my house, my rules. If they don't like my rules they can either get over it or not come to my house. Some goes for me and their rules. However, our friendship is more important than getting into a peeing contest over me disrespecting the rules of their house or vice versa. Just my two cents.
My thoughts exactly. Well said sir.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I send my wife and kids to kids parties. It's like a day off for me.

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
I carry everywhere I go, if someone asks me not to carry around them/in their home I simply respect their wishes and stay away from them/their home.
Yes.

Originally Posted by 2glock40s
Bull. Many departments require LEOs to carry 24/7...if they were truly friends they would respect your situation as much as you have tried to respect theirs...for one it is a matter of their comfort for you it is a matter of your vocation.

Peeing contest? That is up to you. You choose the time and place when you choose to sit or stand when peeing.

·
Registered
961 Posts
LCP in a nemesis and keep yer yap shut about it. :supergrin:

This suits me well through every family event my girlfriend drags me to.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Yes.

Bull. Many departments require LEOs to carry 24/7 And many departments don't require this. Many cops can carry off duty if they want, but it is NOT required. In 15 years on the force my lil bro hasn't carried when off duty that I've ever seen. ...if they were truly friends they would respect your situation as much as you have tried to respect theirs...for one it is a matter of their comfort for you it is a matter of your vocation. I love how you can tell another man what his vocation is. Dramatic much?

Peeing contest? That is up to you. You choose the time and place when you choose to sit or stand when peeing. I bet you have alot of friends, hell, you're probably the life of the party. :upeyes:
This whole post is full of "tough guy" FAIL.

101 - 120 of 310 Posts