GlockTalk Forum banner

81 - 100 of 310 Posts

·
NRA Member
126 Posts
I carry everywhere I go, if someone asks me not to carry around them/in their home I simply respect their wishes and stay away from them/their home.

Everybody wins!

This...

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I would just not show up at the party and afterwards when they ask me why I wasn't there I would tell them.

·
Premium Member
41,987 Posts
I carry everywhere I go, if someone asks me not to carry around them/in their home I simply respect their wishes and stay away from them/their home.

Everybody wins!
This would be my decision,.....or S&W 642 in a SmartCarry:whistling:

·
The Resistance
4,058 Posts
Because they are friends. My friends are aware of my interests, including golf, shooting, baseball, etc. This is the first time any of those interests has become an issue.
Carrying is not an interest. Going to the range with friends and punching paper is an interest. Carrying is a very personal choice to potentially use lethal force to defend one's life and limb and those of his/her loved ones.

My wife knows I carry. My boss, my BIL and a good friend I've known for 22 years know, and they all carry. That's it. Lots of friends know I like to shoot and hunt. Four people know I carry.

·
Cool Cat
12,111 Posts
Lots of folks can be your friends without putting restrictions on your activities, I would part company but that is me.

·
NRA & SAF mbr
2,981 Posts
I recently was asked by a couple not to carry when I come to their home, I asked why and they really had no reasonable answer, but its their home so its their rule. Soon after they told me this, I had a Christmas Party in my home, when I invited them I told the wife of the couple she was welcome to come but she cannot bring her cellphone into my home, my reason is she is a constant texter and is absorbed by her phone to the point she should just stay home. I told her my reason and she went nuts saying I have no right to tell her what she can and can not carry with her, I told her I agreed and that I felt the same way about my firearm. Which I am highly trained and qualified to carry. Myself and my wife chose to end our friendship with this couple as there views on the world are quit different than ours!
:notworthy:

Oh man, that's beautiful!!!

·
Banned
1,242 Posts
Lying to them and not respecting their wishes is not good. I believe the decision is to not carry in their home or not go to their home.
I've got to agree with this also, they've put you in a situation that you either need to talk this out with them beforehand, or just not attend at all if you truly feel that strongly about it. The other factor is the child, how close are you to their child, and is not going to the party due to your desire to carry worth disappointing the child and being remembered by the other adults as the guy who wouldn't come to the party because he couldn't put his gun down for two hours? I'm not suggesting that, I'm all for you carrying, but I wonder if that's how they'll see it. Unfortunately this is often the cost of letting others know you carry. If they hadn't known then this would never have come up. Good luck.

·
Rational
14,230 Posts

Everybody wins!
Yeah...tried that on my mother.

She started crying when I suggested I'd stop visiting if it made them (my parent's) feel uncomfortable. You tell ME how I should handle that pickle...

·
NRA & SAF mbr
2,981 Posts
Unfortunately this is often the cost of letting others know you carry. If they hadn't known then this would never have come up. Good luck.
This. Only a few very select people know I carry.

At this point, knowing MYSELF, I would not consider the host couple close friends. They have said they don't trust me, essentially. I DO respect their autonomy over their own home. That's their prerogative. Accordingly, I'd exercise my own prerogative and not come to the party. For me, it's not about the presence or absence of the gun. It's about trust. I respect their wishes. But, I could not ignore their lack of trust in me. And, I'm totally fine with that. But, I wouldn't come to their house.

All that is really a moot point in my case, as the couple would never have known I carry concealed. So the question would never have come up.

·
Banned
3,969 Posts
Yeah...tried that on my mother.

She started crying when I suggested I'd stop visiting if it made them (my parent's) feel uncomfortable. You tell ME how I should handle that pickle...
I'm very sorry that your Mom is emotionally disabled, I really am.

You should get her the help she desrves.

·
Rational
14,230 Posts
I'm very sorry that your Mom is emotionally disabled, I really am.

You should get her the help she desrves.
Hah, you should have seen her when I was growing up. You think it's bad now....oooohhh man. :shocked::wow: She had a NASTY temper. But I guess being a former alcoholic and coke addict raising two kids alone while her husband worked full time was quite a burden...

Anyways...back on track. I do not allow alcohol or drugs in my apartment. Period. Nobody also comes over without calling me first. Period. It is, therefore, only reasonable that such should be the same with others, in regards to my respect for their rules. I don't like it, but that's the way it is.

Most of the time, my parents don't even pay attention to the issue. But once in a while, if they ask if I'm carrying :steamed:, then I have to take it off. Again...I don't like it, and I don't agree that it makes anyone safer. But that's the way it is.

·
NRA & SAF mbr
2,981 Posts
An old Navy saying just occurred to me: "Loose lips sink ships."

·
Registered
30 Posts

Everybody wins!
+2. If someone asks me not to carry at their house, I will avoid their house as much as possible.

·
Glockman
4,872 Posts
Correct. And that's why I would ignore the request.

If they think I am dangerous, then they shouldn't invite me over.

If they don't want me there, I'll leave (or not go at all, depending on when they tell me).

But I'm not going to wear a certain color underwear for them. And I'm not going to leave my gun home for them. Both requests would be considered none of their business, and thusly ignored.
:wow:

·
Freelancer
9,789 Posts
There ya go, thread settled.
Not hardly! Everyone's got to berate the OP for letting his friends know he carries, first.

·
Glockman
4,872 Posts
Carrying is not an interest. Going to the range with friends and punching paper is an interest. Carrying is a very personal choice to potentially use lethal force to defend one's life and limb and those of his/her loved ones.

My wife knows I carry. My boss, my BIL and a good friend I've known for 22 years know, and they all carry. That's it. Lots of friends know I like to shoot and hunt. Four people know I carry.
not any more ....

81 - 100 of 310 Posts