GlockTalk Forum banner

61 - 80 of 310 Posts

·
Anti-Federalist
1,999 Posts
Knowing that you like guns, and that you shoot or hunt, is different than knowing you are carrying a gun on you.

I have some friends that might not want me carrying in their house. They know I hunt, and know I have handguns, and therefore can deduce that I have a permit to carry.

But they do not know that I carry a gun. I've never told them.

If they out of the blue told me not to carry a gun in their house, what would I do? Hmm, none of their business. I'd carry anyway. They don't need to know.

If while at their house, they ask me if I'm carrying a gun, I'd say it is none of their business. They can either leave it at that, or they can ask me to leave. If they ask me to leave, then ok I'll leave. And friendship over.

None of this, absolutely none of it, would be confrontational. I would simply just choose to ignore anti-gun feelings. I follow the law. I don't have to tell anti-gun people anything.
This.

Don't tell anyone you carry and it won't be an issue.

Trust only those you can, and then only when you must.

·
Banned
65,071 Posts
My house, my rules.

Your house, your rules.

It's that easy.

So, you advocate lying to your friends?

If I were to ask somebody to refrain from something doing that I don't care for in my house and that person did it anyway, I would not be a happy individual. Besides, what sort of person would have the disrespect and discourtesy to lie to his or her friend?

·
Anti-Federalist
1,999 Posts
No. I am advocating keeping your mouth shut.

I have been carrying every day for the past 20 years. No one has ever asked if I was carrying a gun and I have never volunteered that information.

Certain very close friends and family know that I carry, none have an issue with it and they keep their mouths shut as well.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I recently was asked by a couple not to carry when I come to their home, I asked why and they really had no reasonable answer, but its their home so its their rule. Soon after they told me this, I had a Christmas Party in my home, when I invited them I told the wife of the couple she was welcome to come but she cannot bring her cellphone into my home, my reason is she is a constant texter and is absorbed by her phone to the point she should just stay home. I told her my reason and she went nuts saying I have no right to tell her what she can and can not carry with her, I told her I agreed and that I felt the same way about my firearm. Which I am highly trained and qualified to carry. Myself and my wife chose to end our friendship with this couple as there views on the world are quit different than ours!

·
Glockman
4,872 Posts
Then your quandry is one only you can answer: Which is more important to you? You attending events in a home run by irrational people among your friends or carrying a gun in a place you'd rather not be unarmed.

You could lie but, I'd hope you'd have more ethics than that.
so someone that asks you not to carry in their home is "irrational"?

·
Banned
92 Posts
1. They should have never known that you carried. Never.
2. Now that they do, tell them the truth, their neighborhood is not safe and you will not be attending.

Concealed is not just a 'physical' thing, it is mental as well. Don't tell people. Don't show people. what they don't know, won't hurt them.

·
Registered
32,817 Posts
My house, my rules.

Your house, your rules.

It's that easy.

If I were to ask somebody to refrain from something doing that I don't care for in my house and that person did it anyway, I would not be a happy individual. Besides, what sort of person would have the disrespect and discourtesy to lie to his or her friend?
I wouldn't lie, I'd just say it was none of your business. And I'd carry in your house anyway, until you asked me to leave.

·
Registered
32,817 Posts
I recently was asked by a couple not to carry when I come to their home, I asked why and they really had no reasonable answer, but its their home so its their rule. Soon after they told me this, I had a Christmas Party in my home, when I invited them I told the wife of the couple she was welcome to come but she cannot bring her cellphone into my home, my reason is she is a constant texter and is absorbed by her phone to the point she should just stay home. I told her my reason and she went nuts saying I have no right to tell her what she can and can not carry with her, I told her I agreed and that I felt the same way about my firearm. Which I am highly trained and qualified to carry. Myself and my wife chose to end our friendship with this couple as there views on the world are quit different than ours!
funny. Did it really go down that way? What'd she say?
:rofl:

·
Registered
32,817 Posts
so someone that asks you not to carry in their home is "irrational"?
Correct. And that's why I would ignore the request.

If they think I am dangerous, then they shouldn't invite me over.

If they don't want me there, I'll leave (or not go at all, depending on when they tell me).

But I'm not going to wear a certain color underwear for them. And I'm not going to leave my gun home for them. Both requests would be considered none of their business, and thusly ignored.

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
The fact that they know is on you.

Now that they do, they've made their wishes clear. You really have no choice but to not go or not carry.

My thoughts:

1. Go to the party. Either lock it in the car or leave it at home. If you don't have a good knife and know how to fight with it, get one. Short of an active shooter, i'd rather have my blade for a bad-breath distance encounter. People don't see (and don't freak) when you have a clip on your pocket. (or better yet, a clinch pick on your belt, shirt untucked)

2. The real problem is that you don't talk this out and lose a friendship. Put it out on the table, but in the end, it's their house.

·
XD40
465 Posts
I tell nobody about my guns. If I think there might be an issue with someone not wanting me to carry, I switch to an ankle holster and never mention it. Otherwise, I just invite them to my home. I carry everywhere. If they dont like it, I wont come by.

·
Banned
65,071 Posts
No. I am advocating keeping your mouth shut.
So, if I were a good friend of yours and asked you not to pack heat in my house, yet you did anyway and simply not told me about it, it's not lying?

Okay, perhaps not lying but what about disrespect? You obviously held no respect for my wishes in my own home then. What kind of friend are you that would disrespect my wishes in my own home?

·
Registered
18,216 Posts
I would just stay away from their home if it is a bad area. I would not risk losing the weapon if someone breaks into the car. Or if you like them place the unloaded gun in a portable safe when entering their home. Or don't carry and leave it at home.

·
Registered
295 Posts
By their choosing a proxy to deliver their message (and the message itself) I doubt you'll have any luck trying to engage in a rational discussion with them. After all, as Jonathan Swift said, "It is impossible to reason someone out of something that he did not reason himself into in the first place".

Given that, it seems to boil down to a very straightforward question.

Which do you value more- ****s and giggles with your friends, or the ability to protect yourself?

IMHO if you have family there isn't really a choice. Your job is to defend them. Voluntarily removing one of the more important options in their defense is irresponsible at best.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Easier said than done. She loves to cook and have people over, so they have a lot of "events" at their house. I don't want to miss out on getting to see my friends.
There's your answer. Leave your gun at home when you visit them. Their home, their rules. You have no right to lie to them and "conceal" the gun. Totally not cool as friendship goes.

·
Missing AZ
895 Posts
Tom's rules of CCW:

2 people should know you're carrying.

#1 You
#2 The person you just shot

It should be a complete surprise to them.

Tom

61 - 80 of 310 Posts