GlockTalk Forum banner

41 - 60 of 310 Posts

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
I would carry concealed. If they ask, tell 'em you're not carrying. If they try to pat you down ... tell 'em you're insulted and leave. You got yourself into this predicament, albeit innocently, but it's a demonstration to us all what can happen if we talk to the wrong people. What if they asked you not to wear a religious symbol?

·
Game Master
1,098 Posts
boycotting your m.i.l. would take balls, especially if you have kids. essentially an act of war. the o.p.'s are friends of only three years, & it's a three years old's party?!

·
Taco Hack
1,650 Posts
I carry everywhere I go, if someone asks me not to carry around them/in their home I simply respect their wishes and stay away from them/their home.

Everybody wins!
This is what I have done in the past. I respectfully tell them I wont be coming and why.

In the end the people that wanted to stay friends listened to reason. If my friendship is not "good" enugh then I stay away. A win win situation.

I do my best to stay nice and non-condescending when doing so

·
Registered
153 Posts
So you need to choose.

Do you respect your friends so you can enjoy their company?

OR

Do you disrespect your friends and ignore their request (which would be a serious violation of their castle as well.)?

OR

Do you not go to their home ever again?
This is what I agree with the most here, and I think it's spot on. I think it's foolish for some of us to sit around and say "well never go to their house again" or "make them remove every dangerous object in the house" just to be a jerk about things. Just as they should respect that you carry in your own home, it's my opinion that you should respect that they don't want you to carry in theirs. Carrying in their home would be the same as them asking you to disarm yourself if they came over to your house...completely irrational.

Talking with couple A's husband isn't a bad idea at all. The truth is that some people aren't comfortable with guns, and never will be. Do you purposefully be a jerk to them so they have a bad taste for any and all gun owners, as some have suggested here? Up to you.

My girlfriends parents are the same way. They do NOT like guns whatsoever, and they think that carry permits are hogwash. Sure, someday I'll have a conversation with them, and sure, sometimes I carry into their house (MTAC+G32+4 o'clock=concealed) if we stop over on our way home from something, but I don't carry into their house if we're going over for dinner or anything. Eventually we'll have the conversation about it, and they may never be OK with it. Frankly, I don't care either way. I will keep myself and their daughter safe (she doesn't care that I carry, she used to be staunchly against it though) because I choose to do so.

If you skipped down here then all I have is this: respect is mutual, and so is disrespect.

·
Just Wanna Fly
1,321 Posts
I had a friend that would OC into my house. I am not anti-OC by any means, but I asked him not to bring his gun past the fridge when he came into my home. It was a personal call that I believed he was not responsible enough to have a firearm on his person around me or my child. If he would have lied to me and carried it anyway, not only would he not be allowed in my home any longer, I would have terminated our friendship.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Dont ask, dont tell!
Zip the lip on people you think you can trust about your ccw!
It's your priveledge, not couple A's.:faint:

·
Annoying Member
2,199 Posts
I doubt that any of them are. This isn't a group that came up around guns. I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain that of all of us, my wife and I are the only ones that own guns.
That is the question that I'd ask the couple and I would point out that there is no way to know for certain unless they search them.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Just sprint from the car to the house and when the party is over reverse it.

·
Rope Czar
3,006 Posts
Just sneak it in and hide it in the cat's water dish. They'll be non the wiser and if they do find it, blame the cat.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have a similar situation with some friedns of mine. They actually HAVE a loaded gun in their house and have asked me not to carry. When I asked why they said they werent comfortable with me around the kids with a loaded gun.....but they HAVE a gun in the house....24/7....and have VERY little training on how to use it. I have had training, and shoot quite often however this doesnt make me accident proof. I brought this point up to them, about the training aspect...and they still dont want me to carry in their house. Its kinda a shame considering the above, so what I normally do is take off my glock....I go into the house they ask if im carrying...I lift my shirt and show them my empty holster. they are happy....and I am happy....because I have my lil kel tec P3at in my pocket holster.

THATS what I call a win win situation! :tongueout:

·
Game Master
1,098 Posts
after reading this thread l.o.l.

the "showing up with a huge sword on your belt" suggestion is the winner, especially imagining him holding a 3 y.o.'s b-day gift while wearing it.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts

IT'S ON CUZ!!!!!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Where I live, Alaska, when I go into someone elses residence, I must have their permission to carry concealed. Goes without saying they must also be okay with me carrying openly as well. If I do not obtain their permission, I am guilty of committing misconduct involving weapons.

I expect guests in my home to respect my wishes, whatever they may be; therefore, I should expect to respect the wishes of those whom I am a guest of.

I've had my own brother ask that I do not carry when around him or his family. Had no problem at all seperating myself from him, didnt hold a grudge, or ill will. Its his choice.

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
If I only felt safe going into that neighborhood while armed, I think that I'd skip that neighborhood altogether...
Agreed.
The first part of self defense is avoid places and situations where you suspect you will have a high probability of needing to defend yourself.

I really doubt the neighborhood is all that bad, but rather the OP is likely seeing the neighborhood less objectively right now so he can rationally justify why he should "stick to his guns" in this matter; and why he is even considering violating the unambiguous request made by his friends regarding the rules of their home.

From all accounts, it sounds like their house is the get together spot for that circle of friends. If people's cars were getting broken into or vandalized, it probably wouldn't be such a popular hangout. If I lived in a neighborhood that I thought was so bad that I couldn't leave a $500 item locked in my car and out of sight for a few hours; I doubt I would be able to get people to come over with any frequency unless they were all clueless or indifferent to being in such a dangerous, crime ridden craphole.

Their home, their rules.
If I specifically told a "friend" not to do something in my home, and they did it anyway, I would have a big problem with it and one less friend after that.

Lots of people are uncomfortable with the idea of regular folks carrying loaded sidearms around in society, even people that own guns and hunt or shoot. We often surround ourselves with people of a similar opinion, so GT'ers have a different expectation about the rationality of CCW. Heck, maybe they are just fine with guns, but they don't trust you enough to feel comfortable. :tongueout: Are you a close friend, or more of a "friend-of-a-friend" to them?

·
Glock talker
948 Posts
I don't understand... the options seem clear enough:

1) Carry & don't go there (carrying is more important that going there)
2) Go there & don't carry (respect their wishes, going there is more important than carrying)
3) Go there & carry (disrespect their wishes)

My rules for my home are, if you are carrying, I expect you to tell me when you walk in. Otherwise, I don't care. It's my home, and that's one of my rules. If their rules are different, I'll follow them if I want to be there, or if I don't want to follow them, I'll go somewhere else.

If it's that important to you, you can talk it out & see if they'll see your position. I am renting out my old house in a Florida neighborhood which could be the exact one you're talking about, fits your description, and I still have friends there, one family in particular that could easily be Couple A. The husband spent 18 months in Iraq. I don't know if his wife would accept me carrying in their house, and she definitely wears the pants, so if that comes up, I'll address it then--because I'll follow my house rules and let them know when I enter, until I'm told what their rules are. Maybe it's OC only in Couple A's home?? :supergrin:

Point is, either you respect them enough to respect their home and/or talk it out, or you don't.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
You've answered your own question.
It's their home and their rules.

With that 2nd amendment right also comes responsibility.
Something a lot of CC people don't understand.
Or don't care?
I agree with JBnTX and you should lock it in the vehicle so you still have it while in the neighborhood and in route back home after the party. At some time I would acknowledge their request as no big deal that way you seem open for a discussion and they might explain their reasoning. Who knows, with a calm discussion they might see your point to always having your gun with you. My wife thinks I go overboard sometimes too, but she also feels very safe around me.

41 - 60 of 310 Posts