Got asked to refrain from carrying...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Kosher Larry, Feb 19, 2010.

1. stravis

stravis

Leave the pistol at home.

Carry a large sword attached to your belt instead.

2. Adjuster

Adjuster

Leave it in the car. Enjoy the party. Everyone stays friends. If you feel comfortable enough at the party bring it up for discussion in the most polite and private way possible. Chances of it being stolen are extremely slim especially given there will be several other cars there at the same time.

3. the iceman

the iceman Proud Veteran CLM

What do you have more of an issue with: Not carrying in their home or leaving it locked in your car?

4. Kosher Larry

Kosher Larry MWAG

Because they are friends. My friends are aware of my interests, including golf, shooting, baseball, etc. This is the first time any of those interests has become an issue.

5. farley45

farley45

If then after discussing it with them they are still uncomfortable with you carrying then just continue to go over there and have a good time (without carrying of course).

We all would like to be able to carry everywhere all the time, but the fact of the matter is that we cannot. There are many places I go everyday where I am restricted by law to carry, but life goes on none the less. Just remember that just because you do not have your firearm on you does not mean you are defenseless; situational awareness among other things are your best defenses to begin with.

I would get a nice safe for my vehicle and secure it properly in a hidden area. When I went to my buddy's house I would lock it up and make sure I keep an eye on the vehicle from time to time.

6. MarccraM

MarccraM

I'll give you a thought.. This is how I "beat" an anti (my cousin) just the other day...

(True story)

I said, "If you were in bed one night and you heard somebody in your house, would you WISH you had a gun in your hand"?.. She thought about it for a minute and said "I guess I would".

Then I said, "If you were walking to your car at night and you saw a man following you in an empty mall parking lot, would you WISH you had a gun in your purse"?.. She said "I guess so".

I said, "If you were with your daughter (kids always make impact) in virtually any event and a crazed maniac was coming at you, would you WISH you had a gun in your hand to protect your daughter?" She said, "I guess I would".

So I said.. You and I are virtually the same.. the only difference is, I wont be "wishing". Her response.. A smile and the comment "Good point".

Try it that way with them... When people are met with such blatent obviousness and they are being put into the "position" they tend to understand more clearly.

7. Kosher Larry

Kosher Larry MWAG

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I might try that. Or a baseball bat.

8. wax32

wax32 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If I only felt safe going into that neighborhood while armed, I think that I'd skip that neighborhood altogether...

9. MarccraM

MarccraM

:thumbsup: Well written

10. KevR

KevR Guest

Why not suggest a compromise that you both agree upon in advance? You carry your weapon to his house and "check" it in with him so he can put it in a safe place while you're in his home and he gives it back to you when you leave. It's a win-win because you get to carry to and from his home without worrying about your weapon being stolen and he has the peace of mind that you aren't carrying in his home. It's not perfect, but pretty close.

11. jlh2600

jlh2600 Game Master

no one finds out until you know they carry, or until you KNOW they won't have a problem with carrying in their home. a bit late for concealed means concealed.

i wouldn't go back over there, but then again i think you're inventing some if not all of this l.o.l. just kidding it all sounds about right. classic dillemma. textbook. you even took them to the range first & they 18o'd.

good luck!

12. Critias

Critias Freelancer CLM

You're in a tough spot, and one I hope to never find myself in. On the one hand, they're your friends and -- as a friend -- you want to respect their wishes. On the other, you know more about their neighborhood than we do, and maybe even more about it than they do, and one thing to consider is where your gun will be when you're visiting them. Can you secure it in your car appropriately? Would you be leaving it at home entirely?

I don't really have a quick and dirty "DO THIS" answer, because you know your friends better than us...but I'd suggest sitting down and talking to them. Don't let your buddy keep being the guy in the middle playing messenger, because that puts him in a bad spot and it means no one's getting the straight scoop -- go right to the couple that don't want your gun in their home, and have a talk with them about why. They're your friends. It'll work out one way or another, but I think your best bet is to talk to them about it.

13. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

So you need to choose.

Do you respect your friends so you can enjoy their company?

OR

Do you disrespect your friends and ignore their request (which would be a serious violation of their castle as well.)?

OR

Do you not go to their home ever again?

You have to make the choice, I personally can't say what I would do as I don't know the people and don't know the relationship you have with them. BUT if they went to someone else to act as the messenger then maybe they aren't as good of friends as you think. Just my opinion.

14. bithabus

bithabus

1. They shouldn't know you carry. Tell noone.

2. I wouldn't want to be friends with anyone who didn't trust me to be armed in their home.

15. oly884

oly884

A true friend talks to a person directly.

They need to tell you, no messenger. Had I been in your shoes, then I'd be looking at a break from hanging out with them until they can come to their senses. That's just my opinion, but I'll tell you that it'd get me fairly disappointed with my friends if they felt it necessary to have someone else deliver the message.

It appears that you'd like to know why, and the only way you'll find that out is speaking directly with them. If they have an irrational fear, maybe you can fix it. If you can't fix it, then you've either got to sacrifice going over to their house, or sacrifice carrying your pistol.

16. Kosher Larry

Kosher Larry MWAG

Thanks for the advice folks...I just left couple A's husband a VM to see if he wants to meet for coffee later. We'll see what happens.

17. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

Does the couple in question know for certain that none of the 20 other people are carrying?

Personally I had the same issue with my mother in-law, so the wife and I stopped going to her home ... after a couple of months she changed her mind and let me carry in her home.

18. Kosher Larry

Kosher Larry MWAG

I doubt that any of them are. This isn't a group that came up around guns. I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain that of all of us, my wife and I are the only ones that own guns.

19. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Knowing that you like guns, and that you shoot or hunt, is different than knowing you are carrying a gun on you.

I have some friends that might not want me carrying in their house. They know I hunt, and know I have handguns, and therefore can deduce that I have a permit to carry.

But they do not know that I carry a gun. I've never told them.

If they out of the blue told me not to carry a gun in their house, what would I do? Hmm, none of their business. I'd carry anyway. They don't need to know.

If while at their house, they ask me if I'm carrying a gun, I'd say it is none of their business. They can either leave it at that, or they can ask me to leave. If they ask me to leave, then ok I'll leave. And friendship over.

None of this, absolutely none of it, would be confrontational. I would simply just choose to ignore anti-gun feelings. I follow the law. I don't have to tell anti-gun people anything.

20. Thunderhawk88

Thunderhawk88 NRA MEMBER

Best reply in this thread!!