GlockTalk Forum banner

301 - 310 of 310 Posts

·
MWAG
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #301
Sounds like you handled it in the best way possible. Enjoy the game.
Thanks. I did the best I could. Some people just aren't open to listening to reason. They have their minds made up and that's that. I learned a lot through all of this. Thank you all for your help and insight.

·
Premium Member
28,686 Posts
Thanks. I did the best I could. Some people just aren't open to listening to reason. They have their minds made up and that's that. I learned a lot through all of this. Thank you all for your help and insight.
But but but but but...but..but, she has a rationale for not wanting a gun in her house! :faint:

:rofl: Just as I suspected - no rational, logical, pramatic thought process on their part.

Larry, all it takes is ONE TIME for someone to get into their personal space (robbery in house, car on street) to cause the scales on their eyes to fall off.

Ya did good.

'Drew

·
Banned
440 Posts
How is carrying a gun any different from being, say, a 5th degree black belt? Pick your discipline, just don't inflict your opinions on the rest of us.

That person is always armed, always dangerous, always capable of killing.

How about a plain old army grunt who has seen actual combat? Always armed, always dangerous, always capable of killing.

I will always be armed because I carry weapons (plural) and I will always be dangerous because I have made the decision ahead of time that I will kill before allowing myself or my loved ones to be killed. I'm not sure if I am actually capable of killing in those circumstances, but if not, I would view that as a horrendous defect in my soul.

Your home, your castle? No sir. My body, MY castle. My family, MY castle.

I will lie to you all day long, with a peaceful soul. I will do exactly whatever I damned well please to protect myself and my loved ones. And, despite your dumb ass wishes, I will have a full and wonderful life, that may sometimes involve your idiot self. Possibly at your home.

Better you not ask. I certainly won't tell. And if you ask, I will lie straight to your face, and you won't have the slightest ****ing clue.

Attempt to search me in your home, I will leave. Only God will help you if you continue down this path while I attempt to leave, or after I am outside your home.

What?! You think you friends always tell you the truth? You're ugly and you have horrible breath ... buddy. As far as I can tell, it's a wonder *anyone* EVER ****ed you more than once, including your wife ... buddy. I don't tell you that every time I visit your home, and I'm sure not about to tell you I'm armed ... buddy.

I do not surrender my ability to defend myself and my family at your doorstep ... buddy.

WTF do you guys think "friendship" means? Complete surrender of self?

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Don't sugar coat it, buddy. Tell 'em how you really feel. ;)

You make good points.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
You did well man. I say this because you at least took the time to try and have a rational discussion with your friends and work it out.

Larry, all it takes is ONE TIME for someone to get into their personal space (robbery in house, car on street) to cause the scales on their eyes to fall off.

'Drew
Too right you are Drew.

·
Banned
4,424 Posts
I'm sure that in your circle there are others that are fun to be with, can cook real well, and carry. The search is on.

·
Banned
440 Posts
Don't sugar coat it, buddy. Tell 'em how you really feel. ;)

You make good points.
Well, I don't want to appear to be more of a ***** than I really am (don't even say it :supergrin:), but I have personally know a 3rd degree black belt, with legs the size of a tree trunk (really, almost the circumference of my pelvis), classically trained in China, who had toughened his fingers and hands the old fashionded way.

His weapons travelled with him. He was a weapon. Several, I would say.

There was no question in my mind but that he could extinguish me, and then everyone around me, in seconds.

Either I trusted him, or I didn't. Because of his abilities, his relative youth, his training, and his extreme strength, I trusted him with my life. And the lives of my family.

I feel honored that he told me who he was. But he certainly didn't walk into every room and announce his abilities, his training, and certainly not his history.

Why on earth would you think that I, with my humble handgun, would do anything differently?

Call me a bad friend, call me a sociopath, go ahead, hurt my feelings.

I'm still not telling you a damned thing.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Back story: Not very many of my friends own firearms. I didn't start getting into guns until about 3 years ago. None of us came up around them and it just wasn't something that we were exposed to. None of these friends are rabid anti's either; they're part of the segment of our society that doesn't own guns and doesn't really have much of an opinion either way. I have a couple of friends in particular (husband and wife) that I met a few years ago through my best friend and his wife. We'll call them Couple A and Couple B, respectively. Couple A are a little younger; she's 28 and he's 25. Couple A has a birthday party coming up at their house for their little girl (she's turning 3).

Yesterday, I'm hanging out with my best friend and he tells me that Couple A have requested that in the future I not carry in their home. This came as a surprise to me. Couple A has recently indicated an interest in going to the range and they have never given any indication of being anti-gun in any capacity. As I was telling my best friend, I do my best to educate people whenever possible and above all, to be a positive example of legal firearm ownership. FTR, he agrees with me in the sense that it's a request being made with some sort of irrational foundation, and he is just the messenger. They turned to him because they know he can speak frankly with me and I won't get mad at him.

Here's the dilemma. It is their home. I have no choice but to respect their wishes if I want to be in their home. Their neighborhood doesn't happen to be the greatest. It is a prime example of a Florida neighborhood that got built up in the bubble and moved into by people who borrowed more than they could afford. Many of the houses are vacant. Some were bought by people at a fire sale discount when the bubble popped and rented out. A lot of less than desirable people find themselves in this neighborhood loitering. Long story longer, it's not the type of neighborhood where I'd feel comfortable leaving a pistol in my car, even if it is in a car safe or in the glove box (which locks with the key to the car).

My initial inclination is that concealed means concealed. Then again, I don't like the idea of lying to my best friend. So I turn to you fine folks. Especially those who have had a similar experience. What did you do? What would you do? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
two things:
1) respect their home, go without the gun
2) don't go to the party

What would I do? you mentioned the neighborhood is not the best, I would stay home. if they ask why I didnt go, I didnt feel safe going to your house without my piece.

·
MWAG
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #310
But but but but but...but..but, she has a rationale for not wanting a gun in her house! :faint:

:rofl: Just as I suspected - no rational, logical, pramatic thought process on their part.

Ya did good.

'Drew
I agree. Thanks for all of your support on this one. As someone who looks up to you as what a role model for our cause and how a decent human being ought carry themselves, I greatly appreciate it.

301 - 310 of 310 Posts