Got another gun today......totally different than what I went to get....

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Airborne Infantryman, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Airborne Infantryman

Airborne Infantryman Nuclear Trunk Monkey

I went to get another gun today...had my sights set on a Beretta PX4 Storm in .40.......good price too. BUT the asshat working at the store obviously didn't want my business, and told me to come back tomorrow if I wanted to buy a gun....yea, **** you, guy! I'll take my business elsewhere; I could understand if you were close to closing, but 3 hours before closing? He never gave me a reason as to why he didn't want to sell me the gun today; oh well....:upeyes:

Either way; I've made my decision to not buy from these people ever again, as the way I see it, if they're doing SO WELL that they don't want to sell someone a gun that day, they don't need MY business. With that said, I went down the street to another gun shop and did some window shopping- what do I see being taken from its box, and put into the case? A Para Ordnance G.I. Expert in Stainless Steel. I was curious, and asked to look at it; upon inspection, I was amazed at the fit and finish, and the slide to frame fit. VERY NICE!

Polished feed ramp, and fully throated barrel, barely any machining marks inside the slide; just wonderful! I asked the price, and was told I could have it for $600 OTD (which I think is a little high...), but decided to take it. I lost all thoughts of the Beretta PX4 after handling the Para G.I. Expert. The sights are easy to see, the safety clicks with a positive engagement and disengagement, the slide feels smooth and slick, and I like the mix of "old-school" and "new-school". The trigger feels great and light than my RIA, although I did notice a TINY bit of take up in the trigger. The mags that came with the gun didn't thrill me, as they were the stainless Para Ord mags, and the weld marks were very apparent. I use Wilson 47Ds anyway. As for the whole cast vs. forged thing- I'm not really a 1911 snob (yet), and don't really care- I just see this gun as a nice addition to the start of a 1911 collection.

Either way, I suppose the saying is true- 1911s are an addiction....they're right, because I plan on getting a Springfield Armory TRP when I get back from my upcoming deployment to Afghanistan.

I took it home, cleaned it, and as always, took the obligatory pictures; sorry they're so crappy....lighting in my bedroom sucks. I also wanna add that it comes with a polymer bushing wrench, a lock, two stainless steel mags, a NICE, detailed manual and of course, the huge green Para Ordnance box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also noticed that it says "PARA USA, INC. PINEVILLE, NC"

I thought Para Ord's were made in Canada? :dunno:

FWIW, I think it makes a great companion to my RIA Two Tone Tactical-

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  2. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Congrats, very nice looking. :supergrin: I have to say with all the guns you have bought lately, I didnt know you made that type of money in the army.

3. skanless

skanless IPA ISLAND

First off congrats on the new gun. :wavey:
    Second : F that ass hat that doesn't want someones business.

Third: I hate you!!!

Why: You buy so many guns and i am on a budget right now. :crying:

4. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

Para moved headquarters to NC back at the end of 2008. First guns out of there were the Experts like you got. I've heard a lot of favorable stuff about the Expert pistols, too.

Nice catch.

5. crash09

crash09

Nice find! Congrats! Para moved to Charlotte, NC (Pineville is a suburb) in 2009 I believe.

ETA: Eyescream beat me to it.

Didn't know they were making the Expert in SS yet. I may have to go shopping.

6. Airborne Infantryman

Eh, the Army pays decently well. I also had a lot left over from my last deployment. Then again, I'm ahead of the game, because I don't have a car payment, either- my 2007 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT was paid off last deployment (THANK GOODNESS!). Deployments offer a lot of financial gain, but you just gotta be willing to take the risks over there. I found out today where we're going in Afghanistan; my mind is NOT at ease....we're going to a BAD, BAD place.......:faint:

7. gearjammer351

gearjammer351 EnemyOfTheState

Congrats on the new gun, and good luck on your upcoming deployment. I hope you come back with everything you leave with. :wavey:

Sometimes I miss Army life- usually I don't.

<--was an 11C - in the last century !:supergrin:

8. gearjammer351

gearjammer351 EnemyOfTheState

When are we getting a range report?

9. skanless

skanless IPA ISLAND

Stay safe over their buddy. :patriot:

10. raven11

raven11

have fun with the 1911! looks great. i'm trying to get into the 1911 platform but every time i got to the range to rent one i just can't get use to the platform i've tried the Loaded, Trophy Match, and G.I. it might be Springfields or just rentals:dunno:

good luck on your deployment, you know the old saying, they wouldn't pay you Hazardous duty pay if they didn't make you earn it, we will have a toast for you at the Enlisted club:cheers:

11. eXistenZ

eXistenZ Play it.

Here, I'll post for bac: "Congrats on the Para. :)"

:tongueout: Am I psychic or what?! :rofl:

12. bambikilr

bambikilr

congrats...be safe & prayers are thigh you

13. bac1023

bac1023

:rofl:

Actually, I was going to comment on its nationality. I didn't think the GI Expert was being made in the states yet.

Doesn't it say "made in Canada" on the bottom of the dust cover?

BTW, congrats on the Para! ;) I've got a GI Expert myself.

14. Reb 56

Reb 56

Congrats on the new Para looks nice. Thanks for your service and stay safe.

15. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

Congrats Airborne it looks nice.

16. Airborne Infantryman

Thanks for all the kind comments guys! :wavey:

bac, as for the Made In Canada, it doesn't say it anywhere on the bottom of the dustcover. The dealer just got this gun in today from Davidson's, so I assume the gun is probably no more than 1-2 weeks fresh from the factory. Good ole' made in the U.S.A. :supergrin:

17. bac1023

bac1023

Cool.

Congrats on a nice Para.

I'm actually not a huge Para fan, but I like my GI Expert.

In fact, I like it more than my 1911 Limited that was over twice the price.

[​IMG]

18. hoffy

hoffy

And you should tell the manager about the asshat clerk . I worked in a gun shop years ago,(mid '80s-mid '90s) we were the best stocked in a large city and did not sell a gun every day. I have stayed an hour or more over outfitting a guy going on a hunt, and that is where the profit margins are, the little stuff. I hate clerks like the one you dealt with and usually mess with them. Para has come a long way, I remember when they just offered frames and mags, the customer had to supply the slide and most internals, well para supplied trigger and some pins too. The very first ones were a little sketchy, but not as bad as an Essex. Now they are really nice. I started on revolvers in the '70s and my first auto was a '79 Colt Combat Commander 45acp and still have it ~40k rounds later. 1911s are nice, but if you go for a match grade gun, you will loose a little in reliability, as if you dunk it in mud. My bone stock Colt would hit an 8 inch square steel plate at 50 yards one handed 10 rounds or 500. Thank you for serving our country:wavey:

19. rfd339

rfd339 Silver Member

Congrats on the para ABI , looks good. The clerk was probably holding the px4 for someone or for himself . A pawn clerk did me the same way over a Makarov.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  20. Facejackets

Facejackets

Wow. You suck!!!!! j/k!

I have been to about 15 gun stores in my area this week, and not ONE has a Para GI Expert ESP in stock. A matter of fact, there is only 2 Para's for sale in Las Vegas it seems.