close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Got an interesting complaint today.

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by CanIhaveGasCash, Mar 31, 2010.

1. CanIhaveGasCash

CanIhaveGasCash

In the complaint the whiner says that I need training in how to deal with the public and that I "acted like a state trooper". :rofl:

I stopped said whiner for doing 55 in a 35 on wet and icy roads when it was actively snowing and was nice enough to reduce his citation to a lesser speeding charge, saving him 2 points and $70.

Got to love small towns full of people who think the police are just tour guides with a gun.

I was wearing my hat... a baseball hat.

2. Newcop761

Newcop761 CLM

Impersonating a state trooper is serious business...:whistling:

Kinda makes you not want to give a break. You should mail him a corrected citation.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010

3. VHT

VHT

Shame you can't retroactively re-instate the original speed... One good turn deserves another...

4. MarcDW

MarcDW MDW Guns Millennium Member

I don't do that anymore, because then these people come to court and the court officer drops it further not to go to trail!
    Only time I do reduce it is when it is around the 30-35 miles over, since that is criminal speed and the DA really does nothing with it unless it is 35+ miles over.
    Also the fine is higher for 29 over then criminal speeding and no, you don't loose your license for criminal speeding.

5. CanIhaveGasCash

CanIhaveGasCash

I think its worth it since the majority of people deserve a break. Unfortunately some people get breaks that they don't deserve. I just found out that captain whiner is going to contest the citation in court. Easy enough for me. I get 2 hours of OT for 30 minutes work, and it's all on video, including his radar indicated speed.

6. PuroMexicano

PuroMexicano VIVA MEXICO !!!

good luck and f'him up!

7. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Why is that the nicer you are to people and cut them breaks, the more likely they are to file a complaint?

Very few of the ones that I actually dealt with in a normal manner (not rude, but not overly nice) every come back for anything, including a complaint.

8. RocPO

RocPO

Yet more reasons I don't give breaks.

And don't even think of asking for a break. The only break you'll hear then is me breaking open a new package of summonses.

9. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

Here, if they contest it, it causes a big stink on the basis the officer did not cite for the actual violation (ie. falsified) the cite.

Whereas, if I cite they can negotiate with the judge.

10. volsbear

volsbear IWannaBeSedated Lifetime Member

When people complaint, and admin finds it "unfounded," the officer should be able to torture them with a pair of pliers and a blowtorch. Just sayin'.

I get a fair amount of complaints. They sort of ebb and flow. Some months I won't get any. Some months I get more. It varies proportionally with the state of my rage against my fellow man.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  11. Kadetklapp

Kadetklapp Methberry PD

I used to take any kind of "complaint" or threat of complaint very personally, so much so that I would drag it home with me and worry over it. More recently, I've been like "BFD, get in line" whenever someone tosses that out there. Sick of people using threats of complaints to get their way. Ridiculous.

12. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

I'm about the same way. Used to write everything down at least one "bracket", until I realized that every single person that I went to court on for speed violations "only" wanted it knocked down another bracket. You're an A-H if you won't do it, and a ***** if you do. Now, everybody gets the whole thing and if they then want to try to get it knocked down in court, they end up no farther than the break that I would have cut them anyway.

13. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Seems to me that they mistake your kindness for weakness. Hence the reason I'm not really truly kind to anyone that's not a victim, and even then, if they show their a**, they get treated like the butthole they act like.

I ran into our investigator the other day while I was talking to our Chief, and he paid me some "compliment" that I haven't been getting my normal amount of complaints lately, which is good. I just looked at him and said "Aw hell Tom, I'm sorry, I've been off my game lately. I'll step it up so that you don't actually have to DO any work to justify your existence. So, what's the number of complaints I can get per month before I really get in trouble? I think it's important to have goals."

The Chief about peed himself laughing. The investigator just walked away mumbling to himself. :supergrin: