close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Got a ticket this morning 4:AM 9mph over

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Dalton Wayne, Apr 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

:steamed: My wife is going to kill me first ticket in twenty years, he took my Glock and ran it to make sure it was not stolen gave it back unloaded, I'm guilty, was the only car on the road, $131.00 down the tubes, not going to fight it just man up and pay it, the officer was very professional.
    is there a way to take a class to erase the point, like a speeding class?????:steamed:

2. Psychman

Psychman NRA Patriot Life Member

Rough way to start the week. I would suggest you call the number on the ticket to see if there is a class you can take to get rid of the point. Most places have them now. Most of them you can actually do online. You will come out of the "class" a much better person and won't be hotroding around anymore.

:)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013

3. Ohio Cop

Ohio Cop

Go in beforehand and speak to the prosecutor.

See if it can be amended to a non moving violation.

9 over, sheesh.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

4. dotsun

dotsun Shark Stomper

Bummer, where's the video?

5. skeeter7

skeeter7 Brass Vulture

Damn, beat me to it.

Anyways, DW that sucks buddy.

6. Bruce M

Bruce M

Yes. In most instances.

"(9) Any person who does not hold a commercial driver license and who is cited while driving a noncommercial motor vehicle for an infraction under this section other than a violation of s. 316.183(2), s. 316.187, or s. 316.189 when the driver exceeds the posted limit by 30 miles per hour or more, s. 320.0605, s. 320.07(3)(a) or (b), s. 322.065, s. 322.15(1), s. 322.61, or s. 322.62 may, in lieu of a court appearance, elect to attend in the location of his or her choice within this state a basic driver improvement course approved by the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. In such a case, adjudication must be withheld and points, as provided by s. 322.27, may not be assessed."

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...ing=&URL=0300-0399/0318/Sections/0318.14.html

7. Beretta92guy

Beretta92guy

"he took my Glock and ran it to make sure it was not stolen gave it back unloaded".......

this has always annoyed me when i hear of someone pulled over for a traffic stop....

why do they have to check if your gun is "stolen" when you get pulled over for a traffic violation???

so he runs your tags....your car is not stolen....runs your liscence, you are not a wanted fugitive......so WHY run your gun to see if its stolen???? especially if you have a valid CCW

why not run your cell phone to see if its stolen???.....run the bag of groceries you've got in the back seat to see if you stole them??.....run the boombox you have in the passenger seat to see if its stolen???? you get the idea!!!!

8. Psychman

Psychman NRA Patriot Life Member

I was thinking the same thing, but I am glad you pointed it out. The officer probably doesn't like Mondays any better than the rest of us do.

9. waawaaweenie

waawaaweenie

as times get bad the fudging room the officers give for speeding is bound to get lowered because the cities and states are broke and if there was a highway full of traffic, he probably wouldn't even have looked at you

you can do traffic school on line in some areas which can be done at your own pace and at home.

10. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

Check the video. If he didn't have his hat on, the ticket is invalid.

Right? Right?

11. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Was he wearing his hat?

I got one of those last Thanksgiving when I went to St. Augustine to pick up my daughter. Cop was very nice.

12. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

A buddy of mine is LEO near Daytona,......he always says,
    "Eight, you're great, nine, you're mine!"

Georgia had a class you could take to avoid the points.
    The class was $80 and you still had to pay the fine.

13. JMS

JMS 02

The speed cameras here are set at 12 and over, I'd go to court and based on your driving history have it reduced and points dropped.

14. Highspeedlane

Highspeedlane NRA Life Member

If it was just 9 over I would attend the hearing for the ticket and ask that it be dismissed. State that you're a conscientious citizen who shouldn't be penalized for a moments inattention.

You've got nothing to lose and there's a possibility they will reduce or dismiss, which would save you $$ in hiked up insurance premiums over the next few years.

Thresholds vary by locale but where I travel you normally have to be going above 15 over before you attract LE attention.

15. GVIFlyer

GVIFlyer Senior Member

Bad luck.

Around here, our state troopers will tell you, "9 is fine, 10 you're mine." The city cops can be a different story. In my town, however, we have a great PD and they will only write you if you are constituting a hazard to public safety - like acting stupid in a school zone. They do not engage in speed traps, revenue collection efforts or any other activity that would undermine the excellent community relationship we share with our police.

I meant this post to commiserate with you, but it looks like I've turned it into unsolicited praise for our local PD. Sorry.

You should approach the prosecutor to see if the charge can be reduced through classes; what you don't want is for your insurance rates to go up.

16. IGotIt

IGotIt No Demlibtards

Yes, Florida allows you to take a course either online or in a classroom Just google Florida ticket classes and numerous places will be listed. Be prepared to do 4 full hours for the course. You can stop and restart anytime you want so you don't have to do the entire 4 hours at one sitting.

You need to contact the court on the ticket, pay the fine and tell them you want to take the traffic school class. They give you I think it was 60 days to take the class and give them the certificate of completion.

Make sure the course you take allows you to print the certificate of completion rather than send the money off and have the certification mailed to you. The entire ball of wax should cost about $50 plus you'll still have to pay the fine. Good thing is, no ticket is shown on your record or to the insurance company.

My daughter went through it not too long ago.

BTW, FHP or locals?

17. GSSF17

GSSF17 ...2 of 'em

Sheesh.... thats pretty crappy. Depends on where you are though, I guess. IN FL on the turnpike and Interstates, most allow 12 mph over, or anything under 80 (whichever applies, if speed limit is 65 or 70).

But DW- you were the only car on the road? That sucks... it's not like you were weaving in and out of traffic. :dunno:

18. IGotIt

IGotIt No Demlibtards

I agree. My thing was 15 over, unless there was some other circumstances involved (kids playing, heavy traffic, weather, etc)

19. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

DW - how fast were you actually going? Did the officer 'write it down' to 9mph over? I've had them do that before.

20. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

Some places around here, only 9 over would probably get you ticketed for obstructing traffic. Where I worked as an LEO, there was one jerk State Trooper that would ticket people for as little as 3 over. Even other LEOs. He didn't have very many friends.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.