close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Got a Scotts Damper Today!

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by USMCsilver, Aug 31, 2006.

1. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

On the way to a bud's to install it, I tried to feel everything in the road on the way over. It was a short ride; all of about five miles.

Well, we got the thing on in about 1/2 hour and one beer. I shortly left to return home via the same route.

All I can say is "DAMN!" It is amazing what that thing does for a bike. Any jolt I had felt before is virtually eliminated. I gotta play with it during the day, of course, but my initial impression is that this is a MUST for any bike in the future. Seems like manufacturers woulda figured this out a long time ago and offered these things from the factory; I see why they are "stock" on many newer bikes. Simply said -- it seems to make the bike much more safe and stable.

Again, A+ for Scotts. Anyone thinking about taking the plunge, by all means, jump!

2. Compy

Compy CompensateWhat?

I'm going to put a Hyperpro on one of these days.

How was low-speed maneuvering with the Scotts?

3. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Well, I had it about three clicks back from its firmest and I turned into my driveway with a small surprise -- a sense of tightness I've not felt before.

I expected it though, since I did set it up for this before the turn. I just wanted to see the extreme in case I were to forget to set it on the street. So, no biggie. However, being prepared would help.

With the "adjust on the fly" ability, I feel like I'll never have any problems. I'm doing a trackday next month, and can't wait to test this thing out. That along with my new Alpinestars TZ-1 jacket, track pants, and SMX Plus boots. Should be awesome!

:motorcycle:

4. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

The Scotts & GPR damper types sure got the adjust-on-the-fly part down pat. I like Ohlins and all but if I were ever to install an aftermarket damper, it'll have to be either the Scotts or GPR unit.

5. davew83

davew83 hhhhhhhhmmmmmmm

hey fnf, you do realize Ohlins owns Scotts, just FYI my Scotts has Ohlins on the front of it :)

6. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

I believe that was a more "recent" purchase.

7. Twisted10

Twisted10

I have a scotts on my 10r, I wont ride a bike w/o a damper especially on the track.

8. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Then perhaps Ohlins will put out a damper like Scotts? That would be nice.:hearts:

9. adamgh81

adamgh81

USMC...what bike did you put it on? I'll get one for my RC51 this winter hopefully.

10. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

'03 CBR954RR.

I'm lovin' it! Got it dialed in where it needs to be. Gonna be riding Deal's Gap in two weeks and there, it'll be put to the ultimate test.

11. davew83

davew83 hhhhhhhhmmmmmmm

nah deals gap is too tight and not fast enough, to really test the dampener you need to go to the track, especially one with alot of elevation changes such as Road Atlanta, or Barbar.

12. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

I may be riding at CMP (Carolina Motorsports Park) in Kershaw at the end of the month; I'm kinda supposed to, but it looks like I may be doing about a week in Cancun in November so I may just redirect the funds. Who knows?

13. Alex

Alex

where is the best place to buy one at? I just about sealed the deal on my new 600rr so ill be getting a dampner soon

14. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

Dampers are expensive no matter where you go. You just gotta suck it up, and jump in.

I've found that they do make a huge difference. They'll also "make-up" for non-ideal suspension set-up. The better your suspension is dialed in, the less you need the damper.

But even with custom badass progressive forks, I still like my damper when I catch a big square-edge rock at 60mph... I use a Scotts.

[​IMG]

15. philford

philford Willwork4guns

I'm a new to motrsports so excuse the question, but what does the damper do. Out the box with a new bike should i get it install before i hit the road from the shop or ride it out a couple thousand miles before adding it?

16. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

The damper provides resistance to abrupt handlebar movements. On dirtbikes, it's handy for when you clip a big rock at high speed. It keeps your face from mating with the dirt, since your bars don't get wacked sideways instantly.

On a streetbike, it likely helps with headshake. Maybe also when you're deep in a corner, pushing to countersteer, and you catch some pavement anomaly with the front tire. The damper may keep you from inadvertently pushing the handlebars to the steering lock when road contact with the front tire is interrupted.

17. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

On a sport bike, the chassis is short and the steering angle is extreme so that the bike can be flicked easily from side to side. Plus the weight distribution is a lot more even (the manufacturers try very hard to obtain 50/50 distribution). So the end result is that there isn't a lot of weight on the front tire. When you accelerate hard, the front wheel goes light and that also induces headshake. This is another situation in addition to the one that DaisyCutter had already mentioned where you're leaned over into a corner and your front wheel hits a dip or a bump and upsets the front end.

A headshake could develope into a tank slapper which is a headshake from hell. That's when the handlebar/clip-ons are oscillating from side to side so badly that your knees and wrists are slapping against the tank. Hence the name tank slapper.

What do you do when you experience a headshake or a tank slapper? Don't get panicked and jump off the bike. Ride it out. Roll off your throttle S-L-O-W-LY or hold your throttle at its present location until the bike stabilizes. If you try to stiff-arm the handlebar and try to "manhandle" the bike, it will definitely chuck you off.

Most of the time it happens so fast that all you could do is say Hail Mary and hang on.

So, if you keep your rate of acceleration down and don't ride too aggressively on the street then you don't need a steering damper. If you go balls to the wall on a race track then one will come in quite handy.