close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

got a safe and says not for guns.. why?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by 17RTF2, Apr 6, 2010.

1. 17RTF2

17RTF2

I got a nice safe with a keypad lock from sentry safe company and it locks really well. inside is a sticker that says not for firearm storage but I was wondering why it would say that? seems the same as the ones I have looked at in my local gun shop.

2. drew4691

drew4691

i have one too, i keep my pistols in it.. but i haven't noticed the sticker.

3. Jake Starr

Jake Starr

Liability issues. This way if anything happens to your guns, safe company is protecting themself. CYA.

4. 17RTF2

17RTF2

yeah its not a fireproof safe so I am thinking that may be the reason. at least I didn't see anything saying it was a fireproof safe.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  5. KDawg0007

KDawg0007

I wouldn't sweat it. If it locks and keeps kids or badguys from getting to the guns who cares what it says on it.

6. MarioG

MarioG

They make non fireproof gun safes, just a liability issue.
    Just like they put no tresspassing signs everywhere in Hawaii, but it is custom to ignore them. They are not enforced, just don't sue if you get hurt!
    You will walk on a nice trail there, and walk with everyone else past the no tresspassing signs.

7. 17RTF2

17RTF2

yeah thats kinda what i was thinking. the thing is really heavy and locks really well and I don't see anyone getting into it without the combo. Just wondering if there was something else I wasn't seeing.

8. Psychman

Psychman NRA Patriot Life Member

Gun safes come with various extra protection devices, such as teargas, electrically charged exteriors, barbed wire, moats, and very tiny claymore mines to protect the exterior. Yours probably didnt come with those extras, thus the warning.

9. 17RTF2

17RTF2

LOL!! Imagine if they had some device that if you entered the wrong combo it shot you in the eye with pepper spray haha

10. CBennett

CBennett

thats my guess...not fore proof...I didnt get a safe to fireproof anything I dont have any guns worth and great sum of $$..I got a safe to keep the gun away from kids...as long as thats accomplished im ok.

11. Atomic Punk

Atomic Punk

thay actually used to have tear gas cartridges in some safes. the owner of a locksmith/safe company i used to work for accidentally set one off opening a safe once. cleared out the building.

12. Spike32

Spike32

Because their "gun" (read: specialty) safes cost twice as much, and they want to sell you one. :supergrin:

13. vafish

vafish

They may also have another reason.

Some states (such as California) have mandatory gun storage laws. You must store your gun in an "approved" storage device. If the manufacture hasn't submitted that model for testing it isn't an approved storage device.

14. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

Having a guarantee that the safe is rated to protect your documents and other valuables for say 2 hours in a fire is kind of thrown out the window if your ammo cooks off. :whistling:

15. andyo5

andyo5

Do they also make a model that is "Not for jewelry"?
    What B.S.!
    If it locks up and prevents theft of valuable items, it is for guns. But if it is not a firesafe, it is not the best for storing ammunition. If your guns are burned, it is no worse than if your wife's diamond jewelry got burned.

16. .45Super-Man

.45Super-Man

Mines been a great bedside pistol safe. I cut out egg crate foam and glued it to the top and bottom for extra padding.

17. 17RTF2

17RTF2

what was nice about this one is it already had the same kinda padding thats in the stock glock case.

18. Markasaurus

Markasaurus

You can also just use a trigger lock and still be legal (i would hope it would not go to court though). There's no doubt in my mind if little johnny the thief and vandal, wants to get to your guns, he will. If the cops find a destroyed safe or a cut cable that takes some, if not all the liability off you.

19. buckslayer

buckslayer 3 x Combat Vet

Could it also be because that safe doesn't breath well and if there is moisture inside it could cause your guns to rust??? just a thought...

20. .45Super-Man

.45Super-Man

That's why I keep a desiccant pack in mine, no big deal.