Got a question about cement -- need advice

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Zell, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

A quarter "panel" of my cement driveway has portions of its surface eroding away. Not all of it, just small splotchy areas of that panel where my truck is parked and the snow melt drips onto the driveway from the truck which must seap down below the cement surface and freezes then causes it to crack and flake. In the spring I can sweep away thin layer chunks of the surface area revealing cement and rock below. Underneath these flaked-off areas the cement appears to be solid and holding together well. What's interesting is the other sections of my driveway don't do this so I'm thinking I got a lousy cement job on that portion of my driveway when it was put in 14 years ago.

I'm not in any mood to rip out that panel when most of it is still in good condition -- nor spend the $$ to do it. So, is there something out there, like some kind of cement adhesive sealant, that I could put on that panel to prevent any further erosion? I don't care about fixing the eroded splotches right now, I just want to prevent it from eroding any more.

Thanks.

2. BobbyS

BobbyS Truth always sounds like lies to a sinner

If snow drips off onto this from your vehicle it probably has salt in it from the roads.

3. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

But is there a product out there that I can apply to the driveway surface to seal and protect if from further erosion?

4. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

There are a number of options that I know of. One is a epoxy type product. (never used as rather expensive) many sealants (you will have to clean old cement well/maybe use a mild acid)
    I just had new garage floor poured. I could look at empty sealant cans if you want.

5. glocksicle

glocksicle

Ive been in the concrete business for a long time what you have happening is called spaulding the salt from the roads you drive on in the winter time is eroding the top layer of your drive. A good sealer to use is a mixture of lin seed oil and kerosene i dont know where you live but there is a company here where i live that I get it at or check with your local concrete delivery companies for a sealant that you can put on with a sprayer.

6. Z71bill

Z71bill

I am not a concrete expert -

I had a guy pour a slab for me - while he was at my home he noticed I had a situation with my driveway that is close to what you are describing -

One side looked like new - one side was all pitted -

He said he could rent a machine - he described it as sort of like a floor buffer for concrete - he called it a grinder -

He claimed he could use this grinder to buff the driveway and make both sides look like new again.

I passed - so I don't know if it would work.

7. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

FYI, your driveway is made out of "concrete" and not "cement".

Cement is the powder that goes into the mix that in turns becomes concrete.

With that out of the way, you probably did get a lousy concrete job. All concrete will crack sooner or later. Well placed concrete crack a lot later than sooner. Chances are your concrete guy either a) didn't use the correct mix design, and/or b) did not properly cure it. It's immaterial now.

I'd suggest to wait until next spring or summer and then have somebody patch it over.

And yes, like Glocksicle said, seal that mutha. But don't do it now because it's all screwed up. Patch the concrete over next year and then seal it to help prevent moisture penetration.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  8. civileng

civileng

Glocksicle I believe is correct. It sounds like the concrete is spalling. Not an uncommon thing for any traffic bearing concrete surface. Typically on bridge decks when we have locations as you are describing we "clean" the damaged area by sand-blasting. Be sure to remove all of the loose surface concrete prior to cleaning. Overlay with an epoxy-modified concrete to waterproof the wearing surface. For a deck we do this to the entire deck surface not just one location. However, this would work on a patch as well. I would recommend talking to your local concrete-ready mix supplier for a recomended contractor.

Hope that helps a little.

Technically FNFAL is correct. Concrete not cement. Footing not footer.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  9. Z71bill

Z71bill

Putting a patch on it will only make it look worse -

It may look good when you first put the patch on - but after a very short time the patch will start to come up -

Get the lose stuff off and seal it - forget about patching -

10. Fixxer

Fixxer Got ointment?

Yes it's called 'spalling', but my guess as to why is slightly different from others:

I think it is happening from the installer over floating it when it was still wet.

Just a guess.

11. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

I agree. This or any number of placement/finish errors that caused the aggregate to settle.

12. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

Thank everyone. Yes, I would want seal the entire section of concrete. Maybe Home Depot has something.