Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at work, and an officer brought in a dog that was thrown out of a car and a guy had flagged her down saying that it was vicious and chasing people. When the officer found the dog it was licking a kitten. I would like to preface the rest of the story by saying that I have never been around pitbulls, all i've heard about them is negative, and I don't really enjoy the status they hold with gangbangers. I was really interested in the animal as I have 3 small children at home, but when animal control showed up, they scanned it for a chip (which it didn't have) and due to their policy of not adopting out pitbulls, he was going to be euthanized as soon as they returned to their office. So I spoke up and am now the proud owner of a 6mo male pitbull. He was malnourished, and had a bad rash that was infected, but has been treated, has all his shots, has been chipped, and is quite possibly the best, most obedient dog I've owned. I still have some reservations about him around the kids because he is so playful, but haven't had any problems yet. We keep a close eye on him around the kids since I don't know his history and he was obviously not taken care of. But for now he is working out well. Only annoying thing I have found is when I am walking him, gangbanger types like to stop me and give me tips on how to make him worthwhile, like tying weights around his neck for him to drag and what not (none of which I intend on doing).

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yup, Need some pics of the pup.

Pitbulls are wonderful dogs, smart, trainable and wonderful companions, if raised properly (which goes for just about all dogs) It sounds like you are a guy that will raise that pup properly, good for you.

I have German Shepherds, but would not hesitate to adopt a pit for even a second (I'm a sucker for dogs anyway)

You are a good man for saving that pup, he will repay you :)

·
Adorkable
4,777 Posts
Great looking dog!!! Pitts, Rotts, Dobies, all GREAT, all misunderstood...In some places, even GSDs are banned for ownership. If you are worried, find a good obedience trainer/behaviorist...(a behaviorist that watches how the dog acts in house/around you...not 1 that loves giving dogs Rx's!)

Red

·
Registered
687 Posts
First off great job doing the right thing by taking the pup. He is to young to have any negative traits other than those puppies of other breeds. He is an awesome looking pup. Animals only lear the behaviors the owner wants them to learn. Treated properly, they will exhibit the same.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.