Got a new NAS

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Tennessee Slim, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

I just received a new Infrant ReadyNAS NV+, a 4-disk network attached storage device. I've loaded it with 4 1TB Hitachi HDDs and it's initializing the RAID array as we speak. This could take a while.

I have an earlier model of the same NAS with 4 500GB HDDs but it's almost full, plus I figure to leave it home when I go to my new overseas job. Before I left for Iraq, I didn't take the precaution of setting up my home domain (actually just a workgroup) so it could be accessed from the Internet. I'm correcting that oversight before I punch out this time. The new NAS will forward deploy with me, pre-loaded with a lot of the files on the old NAS. Plus I'll be able to reach back over the Internet and retrieve files from the old NAS.

There is one small problem with the new NAS, but I knew this going in. It uses Infrant's proprietary flexible RAID management software, called X-RAID. In it's current state, X-RAID will not support a HDD larger than 666GB or a total volume larger than 2TB. Once initialized, my array should be 2.6TB in RAID5 but it will only come to 2TB. I'll have to wait for the next firmware update (which is overdue and I think is proving problematic) to grow it to full capacity.

I could use the built-in RAIDs 0, 1 or 5 and bypass X-RAID's current limitations but there are advantages to X-RAID. Most notably, when even larger HDDs become available, I'll be able to add them to the array one at a time, resync, then add another when I can afford it. Once all four HDDs are of the new, larger size, X-RAID automatically will expand the array to the full size available with the new disks. Presuming, of course, the updated X-RAID will support HDDs and an array that large.

Based on the initialization of the old, 1.3TB NAS, I figure the initialization in progress will take about 12-14 hours.

2. Tennessee Slim

The initial sync is finished. It took almost exactly eight hours. Now the web interface shows capacity at 2010 GB.

3. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

Nice!

What are you storing 2 Terabytes of?

I'm thinking that's enough room for a truly world-class spank bank!

4. Tennessee Slim

Right now I have almost 1TB of ripped movies & TV shows, ~120GB of MP3s, and a couple hundred gigs of backup files, disk images, eBooks, and miscellaneous documents and PDFs. And I've leeched a few websites.

I was hosting a wireless media server to my fellow inmates when I lived in Iraq, which is why I have all the ripped movies. I’ve already seen all but a few of them but I can’t force myself to delete them. Turns out they might be useful after I've moved to Curaçao (next week).

With 2TB I have enough space to make backups of just about anything I want. And there’s enough left over for storing footage from my TV tuner and my security webcam.

5. mountsj

mountsj

I can see the movies but damn 120GB of mp3's do you really listen to all that? I have 14GB and I thought that was a lot. Either way thats awesome. I wish I had that much storage, I'd download the internet.

6. Tennessee Slim

I'm trying, I'm trying. ;)

When I worked for the Marines in Iraq, they maintained enormous banks of movies and MP3s on NASs for morale support. I figure RIAA would choke if they knew. Anyhow, I gathered as much as I could for the purpose of distributing them to remote locations where the Marines had less than nothing for entertainment. You wouldn't believe what fans those guys were of TV series like Lost and Heroes. I was really shocked at all the big, tough Marines who were Hentai fans. The 120GB is culled from more than 300GB that was available (I have zero tolerance for Hip-Hop, (C)rap, polka or Chinese opera). But there's nothing in that 120GB that I didn't select without intending to listening to it ...some day.

7. Tennessee Slim

Well, crap. The movers just left, and my new NAS with them. I didn't get nearly as much data transferred as I'd hoped. I'd never tried to move a terrabyte of information before; it takes a l-o-o-o-o-ng time over 10-100 NICs. I don't think I got 250GB copied over.

I actually planned better than that but Murphy intervened. I ordered the new NAS in plenty of time but, five days after I placed the order, I got an E-mail saying it was back-ordered. I guess it took them five days to figure out they didn't have any. I read them the riot act and got them to overnite me a unit -- on their nickel -- as soon as they were available.

I can access my NAS in the states over the Internet but that will really take a long time.

8. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

Bummer - yeah, when you're looking at anything over about 50 gigs, even a true 100mbps connection isn't very fast (and most aren't really running anywhere near that speed).

good luck!