Got A New Makarov...

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by kcramer, Feb 12, 2010.

1. kcramer

kcramer

On the slide it says Simson Suhl made in Germany. Don't know a whole lot about these. Is there anyone here that can shed some light on this?

2. flatag

flatag Must have tacos

Go to makarov.com for everything there is to know about Maks.

3. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

I've got a Russian Mak from back when they first showed up in the US.

It is built like a steel brick.

I have test fired it only.

I would like to get a 32 NAA barrel for it but it appears they aren't being made anymore.

4. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Gold Member

I'm guessing it's an East German? Their considered to be pretty top dog... Someone like m2carbine should be along shortly to tell you more about it.

Congrats!!

5. kcramer

kcramer

I've been searching for about 3 hours on the Suhl Maks but all the info is vague. They are saying (as you did) they are the most sought after blah blah, but not much more. Really I just want to find a ball park as to what it is worth to see how I did. The finish is in great shape and the actions are nice and tight, overall all I'm happy. heres a little crappy iphone pic til M2carbine pops in...hope he does so he can skool me a little on what I got.[​IMG]

6. thisaway

thisaway

I paid $200 for my East German military Makarov about 12 years ago. I think they are running in the $300-$350 range now.

7. Willieboy

Willieboy

Congrats on a great find. I too think it is East German.

I have a Bulgy Mak and it is one sweet shooter.

8. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

I havent seen them that cheap in a couple years. I see 400-500 a lot more often.

9. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Congratulations, they are good guns. All the brands are accurate and reliable and the E. German Mak is the best of the best and it looks like yours is in nice shape.

At the last few gun shows there were no Makarovs below $300 and a good East German has been pushing $400 and over for a while. The price just keeps going up and up.

It looks like you may have Pearce (rubber) grips on the gun. The original was black plastic but the Pearce is more comfortable to shoot.

If you are going to shoot the gun a fair amount you might change out the Recoil spring for a 19 pound Wolff spring. There's no way of knowing the history of the gun so it's worth it to invest in a new spring (about $10).

The standard ammo uses a 95 grain bullet doing 1,000 FPS.
    The Maks are stout enough to shoot any 9x18 ammo you run across.

The gun is very tough and reliable.
    I took a new Bulgarian Mak and tried to make it malfunction with a thousand rounds, by sinking it in mud and other bad treatment. There were no gun caused malfunctions.
    [​IMG]

The gun is accurate. Consider, even with old eyes and shaky hands the Makarov will still keep all shots within a 18 inch silhouette at 52 yards.:)
    [​IMG]

Enjoy your gun.:)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010