close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Got a new AK-47

Discussion in 'The Kalashnikov Klub' started by mgentry, Apr 6, 2012.

1. mgentry

mgentry

My first AK was nothing but problems. So I got a new one Thursday - an Arsenal SGL21-61. I think it is a nice one. Tell me what you think and if there is anything I need to do to it. Thanks!

I also found out that my AK is on YouTube. I have a certificate from Gallery of Guns telling me about the video [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWQBnhVrD5I"]Gallery of Guns.com TV Segment-Arsenal Arms SAIGA SGL21-61 - YouTube[/ame] . It was used on the Gallery of Guns episode where they looked at the Arsenal SGL21-61. I didn't know it had been in the video (or shot) until I was going through the paperwork.

I have some pictures of my rifle - they aren't very good, but I discovered as I was taking these pictures that there was some rust in the front of the flash suppressor. I haven't even shot it yet. I'm going to the range tomorrow (Saturday 7 April).
    http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l614/b52_driver/DSC_0093-1.jpg
    http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l614/b52_driver/DSC_0094.jpg You can see the rust in this picture.

Is rust in that location normal? Or did the Gallery of Guns people not clean the AK properly after they shot it in their video? I just finished cleaning it, but the flash/recoil suppressor is still stained. Did they use corrosive ammo? What do you think?

I am having a hard time finding the parts to build a spare parts kit for my AK. Any suggestions of a good source.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  2. maxxmojo

maxxmojo

People can give you 5 million ideas on how to modify your AK but whether or not they'd actually do anything for you personally we'd never know. My advice would be to go out and shoot it a bit, decide what you don't like about it, then use that as an idea as to what you think it needs.

In regards to the rust in the brake, the previous owners probably just missed a spot. The muzzle brakes that come from Arsenal aren't chromed lined so they're more susceptible to corrosion if not cleaned.

For spare parts I've always gone to K-Var, but I'm sure there's other places as well, though honestly I don't think you'd need anything more than a firing pin and/or an extractor.

3. John43

John43

I recently picked one up, I like it, bought some AIM mags and some Brown Bear ammo. I just put an Mi side rail on it and a Mueller Super Shot scope which I haven' t tried out yet. I hope to take it to the range later this week.

4. Restless28

Restless28

Buy ammo and mags now. As far as tactical stuff...

[​IMG]

5. post-apocalyptic

post-apocalyptic magnifi ba$tard

Imo, starting from a SGL21, your priorities should be; 1. ammo, 2. ammo, 3. mags, 4. ammo, 5. a trigger group with a shorter pull, e.g. the Tapco G2, 6. mags, 7. a different pistol grip, if you've got largish hands, 8. a quality side-rail mounted optic, 9. ammo, 10. ammo. :supergrin:

Here's my 21-62 with a black nylon Bulgarian sling, ATI pg, G2 trigger, Bulgarian "circle-10" mag, and PK-23 red dot:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  6. TedG

TedG Infidel USA

Good choice! Recommended by experts everywhere....

[​IMG]

7. mgentry

mgentry

I have heard about the Circle 10 mags, where do you buy them? I have tried K-VAR for a spare parts kit and they are out. Is there another place?

8. Restless28

Restless28

All the usual AK haunts...AIM, RGuns, classifieds on AK forums, etc. The AKM in 7.62 is easy to buy for.

9. post-apocalyptic

post-apocalyptic magnifi ba$tard

10. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy

11. mgentry

mgentry

12. CGP

CGP

13. mgentry

mgentry

14. Dubble-Tapper

Dubble-Tapper