Got a GLOCK 20. Thanks for input!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Default, Dec 31, 2004.

1. Default

I posted here about a week ago regarding my great range experience with a rented G20. I received a lot of great advice and insight in response, thanks to to all who posted. Just got a NIB GLOCK 20 with 2 15-round magazines. I like the no-nonsense GLOCK approach to pistol design, can't wait to shoot it. Speaking of which...

Should I clean the firearm before using it? Some people seem to think that its good to leave the orange gunk on, others recommend cleaning it off before shooting. Opinions?

Also, when storing the weapon, should I leave it in the "trigger forward" position, or dry-fire to achieve the "trigger-rearward" position?

Anyhow, this is my first GLOCK, I'm excited, and thanks to all those who kindly responded to my earlier thread (and also to those in the G1 Niners Club earlier yet - the G19, the other GLOCK I was considering), I appreciate the input. :)

2. Glockadict

Glockadict

Congrats on the G20. You will enjoy it alot. I did the same thing you did, read around the forum, and asks questions. Now I have 2 G20's, and love both of them. I have always be told to leave the factory lube on the Glock. I have 5 Glock's, purchased from different places and was told the same thing by all. Keep Glockin.

3. johnniekirk

johnniekirk

Glad you got a 20. Like all Glock pistols it's rock solid dependable.
    In my opinion, I would clean the pistol before I shot it. Although, It probably would'nt hurt it fire a few rounds through it. Check the chamber first.
    The copper looking stuff is anti-sieze compound, When you detail clean your gun you'll probably get most of the stuff off anyway. It will not hurt the gun one way or the other.
    Whether,or not you keep you gun loaded or not,will answer your next question. If you keep on in the chamber, the trigger will be in the foward position. If the gun is unloaded, I don't think that it will make a difference.
    Get a good 3/32 punch, for the pins.
    Also I would reccomend the .25 cent trigger job.
    If you need help on anything,do a search on this websight and you should be able to find all the information that you need.

4. Default

Thanks for the replies. One more question... I've had good results cleaning my USP with a boresnake. I'm thinking of getting one for the G20. No one appears to make one specifically for 10mm - would I be right in assuming that one for .40SW would be fine, as it is the same bore diameter...isn't it? Or should I just use the rod and brush that came with the gun? Anyhow, thanks again. :)

5. Glockadict

Glockadict

40. cal and 10mm are the same size. 10mm is just longer. So if you are going use a bore snake 40. cal is the correct size.