Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent most of the day browsing gun shops and pawn shops Friday looking for a deal, and on my last stop at a pawn shop before heading home I saw a used stock G19 under the glass with $429 written on the tag. It was a 3rd Gen with one 15 round mag (FAY### serial, mag had #5 follower) I asked to inspect the gun. I took the slide off to look at the innards and besides being dirty didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. I told him this was exactly what I was looking for but $429 wasn't good enough for me. I put the gun down and browsed around some more and he says...how about $350+ tax?

I agreed and an hour later I was out in the backyard loading up the 15 round mag for a quick test drive. I rapid-fired the first mag and had a stove-pipe about round #6. (Sellier and Bellot 115gr FMJ) I quickly cleared it and rapid-fired the rest of the mag. I shot 2 more full mags normally, and had no problems. After that it was time for a full degreasing of the receiver and slide (something I do to all used firearms I purchase) and I noticed what may have been my problem during the test run. A chipped stock guide rod. I didn't notice it during inspection at the pawn shop so it could have happened during that rapid-fire of the first mag.

Other than that the gun (after a complete cleaning) is looking brand-new and is now a new carry piece in addition to my Smith 642. I hopped over to MidwayUSA and ordered a new guide rod, an extra mag, and a Glock Sport/Combat OWB holster (not bad for a total of $40)

I think this will definitely be a keeper. The gun shot great, and is a perfect compromise between the small G26 and the fullsize G17. Packing 16 rounds of 9mm with 15 in a spare mag is nothing to laugh at.

I was bummed about the guide rod but feel that it may have contributed to the stovepipe I had on round #6 so I am hoping that after I get the brand-new stock one in from Midway it will shoot 100%. Again...I am hoping.

Here's some pics of the chipped guide rod I took after cleaning:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Great price..Congrats!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Sounds like an excellent deal. G19 is THE pistol I am most proficient with ( that's why we have three :supergrin: ).
Like they said about the guiderod. It will also start chipping ( not THAT bad though ) if you feed your pistol LOTS of +P+ and the such. They're like $5 for a guide rod/recoil spring assy so keep some spares. DO NOT OIL the guide rod, the plastic doesn't take well to lubrication.
I stay away from Sellier & Bellot ammo after several bad experiences with it in various calibers. It is CHEAP ammo. Not inexpensive but CHEAP. Stick with WWB, Blazer or Wolf for plinking.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What a deal. I got my used G19 for $400. Pawn shop was asking $450 and I was thrilled about that. You got a deal. That recoil spring is dirt cheap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts