close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Got a deal on a used G19....and found my favorite Glock

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by tantrix, May 7, 2006.

1. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

I spent most of the day browsing gun shops and pawn shops Friday looking for a deal, and on my last stop at a pawn shop before heading home I saw a used stock G19 under the glass with $429 written on the tag. It was a 3rd Gen with one 15 round mag (FAY### serial, mag had #5 follower) I asked to inspect the gun. I took the slide off to look at the innards and besides being dirty didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. I told him this was exactly what I was looking for but $429 wasn't good enough for me. I put the gun down and browsed around some more and he says...how about $350+ tax?

I agreed and an hour later I was out in the backyard loading up the 15 round mag for a quick test drive. I rapid-fired the first mag and had a stove-pipe about round #6. (Sellier and Bellot 115gr FMJ) I quickly cleared it and rapid-fired the rest of the mag. I shot 2 more full mags normally, and had no problems. After that it was time for a full degreasing of the receiver and slide (something I do to all used firearms I purchase) and I noticed what may have been my problem during the test run. A chipped stock guide rod. I didn't notice it during inspection at the pawn shop so it could have happened during that rapid-fire of the first mag.

Other than that the gun (after a complete cleaning) is looking brand-new and is now a new carry piece in addition to my Smith 642. I hopped over to MidwayUSA and ordered a new guide rod, an extra mag, and a Glock Sport/Combat OWB holster (not bad for a total of $40)

I think this will definitely be a keeper. The gun shot great, and is a perfect compromise between the small G26 and the fullsize G17. Packing 16 rounds of 9mm with 15 in a spare mag is nothing to laugh at.

I was bummed about the guide rod but feel that it may have contributed to the stovepipe I had on round #6 so I am hoping that after I get the brand-new stock one in from Midway it will shoot 100%. Again...I am hoping.

Here's some pics of the chipped guide rod I took after cleaning:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Chase7

Chase7

Great price..Congrats!

3. B Coyote

B Coyote

That kind of breakage usually happens when the guide rod is installed incorrectly during reassembly from field stripping.

bc

4. graveman

graveman

Sounds like an excellent deal. G19 is THE pistol I am most proficient with ( that's why we have three :supergrin: ).
    Like they said about the guiderod. It will also start chipping ( not THAT bad though ) if you feed your pistol LOTS of +P+ and the such. They're like $5 for a guide rod/recoil spring assy so keep some spares. DO NOT OIL the guide rod, the plastic doesn't take well to lubrication.
    I stay away from Sellier & Bellot ammo after several bad experiences with it in various calibers. It is CHEAP ammo. Not inexpensive but CHEAP. Stick with WWB, Blazer or Wolf for plinking.

5. thingamajig

thingamajig clumsy person

Wow, even with the cost of a new guide rod added, that's a great deal on a fantastic gun@

6. Glock19Shooter

Glock19Shooter

What a deal. I got my used G19 for $400. Pawn shop was asking $450 and I was thrilled about that. You got a deal. That recoil spring is dirt cheap.