close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Got a computer question -- Need advice

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Zell, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

I have my work laptop (that I've had for 2 years) set to go into "sleep" mode after 2 hours of non-use. It used to work like it should but about a month ago it stopped going to "sleep". I have it set this way because I hate going through the process of booting up a computer in the mornings and re-starting all my apps when I come into work but want the computer's hard drive and other moving components to shut down during the night to help prolong the life of the laptop -- I think that will help the computer.

Now, when I come into work in the mornings the computer seems to be running, as it would during the day, and the screen saver is running instead of the screen being blank like before. Before, I would hit the "enter" key and the computer would roar up and come to life and now that doesn't happen. The screen saver setting is set to turn on after 30 minutes of non-use. The display setting is also set to "never" turn off. It's always plugged in and both the battery and "plugged in" settings are the same.

I had an older laptop at home that would do this as well but chalked it up to its age.

What's going on? Any ideas/suggestions?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  2. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

I've never had much luck with sleeping and hibernating on windows machines. Ended up causing more trouble than it was worth so I always left my computer on.

3. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

By the way, I'm running on Windows 7.

4. mymini40

mymini40

You need a desk top noy a lap top/ They can withstand heat better.

5. Tackle

Tackle

Sleep doesn't stop your HDD from spinning. Hibernate does.Both will achieve what you desire. Check and make sure the power plan you want is selected, then edit the settings under that plan.

Since it is work, your Administrator could have set a gpo that does not allow sleep or hibernation. I highly recommend against using either, they seem to cause more problems than it's worth. Shutting down/rebooting allow updates to be installed as well as release everything from your ram, allowing for better performance.

6. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

My laptop is independent of the network so I don't need to worry about an admin messing with it.

Windows 7 doesn't allow me to put the computer into hibernate. Just dim display, turn off the display, and put to sleep. Don't you have to re-start the computer coming out of hibernation? My power settings are all set where they're supposed to be.

I do shut everything down on Friday nights for the weekend and restart on Monday mornings but let it be the rest of the week.

7. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

8. Tackle

Tackle

Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings

Then change advanced power options.

Under sleep you will see "hibernate after". That's where its located. You will need to hit the power button to turn the pc (including hard drive), back on. It will only take 10 seconds to get back to the login screen vs a couple mins to boot up.