Got a call from police detective about a gun registered to me

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Fox, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Fox

Fox Varmit Control

I got a call from a police detective about a revolver that I bought in 2006 that was used in a robbery. I thought about it and asked if it was a Colt Official Police revolver and the detective confirmed it. I knew then that it was a handgun that I traded for tattoo work in 2007 at a shop in Burien, WA.

I have traded and sold alot of firearms over the years. This is the first time that I got a call from police about one being used in a robbery.

Anyone else have an experience like this?

2. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

A buddy sold a revolver to a pawn shop in Florida, which was broken into. Someone got whacked, and the FBI paid him a visit. All was well, though.

3. GunHo198

GunHo198

Yep.
    Sold a gun to an employee that was 20 years old, married with kids. Later he started hanging out with a gang and started to carry. I warned him not to carry till he turned 21 and got a permit. He was later arrested for doing a drive-by on his mother in-laws house. Police called me as the gun was originally purchased through me and I told them I knew he was in jail. In Florida it's not illeagal for a 20 year old to own a handgun, but only illeagal for a dealer to sell them one. I don't sell, or trade guns, for anyone anymore.

Strange how after all these years they tracked it back to you...

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  4. Fox

Fox Varmit Control

I did fill out the forms when I purchased it. It just goes to show that we have defacto gun registration when a person buys from an FFL dealer.

5. Mrs.Cicero

Mrs.Cicero Wayward Member

I got a call today from a detective at the dept that I reported my firearm stolen to, in 2009. It was recovered in early 2010, and the recovering agency finally saw fit to release it. I hope I get to pick it up this week... and I hope it isn't rusted all to heck.

Mrs.Cicero

6. brausso

brausso

So you just told them you traded it for tattoo work and that's it? They just left it at that?

This is why I don't prefer to by from a dealer/ffl anymore.

7. Osborne

Osborne

Guns arn't registered in Kentucky. :tongueout:

8. 427

I had a similar experience. I sold handgun that I originally bought at the LGS. After I sold it to a co-worker he sold and it ended up across the country and someone got blasted. The local Feds contacted me. All turned out OK for me, but I wasn't thrilled.

After that happened, any FTF sales I do, I ask for ID and copy the info down. I explain up front why, and most people seem OK with it. If the perspective customer balks, oh well, no sale.

9. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

In most states (at least here in the South).... selling a gun is no big deal. Guns aren't registered, you don't have to file any sort of "transfer" paperwork, nothing.

10. GunHo198

GunHo198

True, but yet somehow the paper trail always comes back to the original buyer, even several years from the purchase date. How long do they keep those records till there "Shredded"?

11. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

Ah, but they are to the original buyer, via form 4473, if bought from a FFL, no?:shocked:

12. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

they go to the shop the manufacture sent it to.

then to the person it was sold to.

If you sell it is wise to have the information to send them to the next link in the chain.

13. brausso

brausso

Guns aren't required to be registered in the state this crime happened in (not sure what state the OP purchased it in). Since it was purchased through an FFL, the gun was registered to him.

I was just curious about what the detectives said after he told them he traded it a few years ago. Did they just leave it at that?

14. teumessian_fox

teumessian_fox

If you mean the form you filled out at the dealer's store, the answer is "never." They don't shred them. They store them. And if the dealer goes out of business the paperwork is forwarded to the ATF.

15. Peter_72

Peter_72

We don't have to register guns in LA but when bought from a dealer they hold your paper work for a year then it's in the trash. it's only for a background check thats what the lady told me when I bought my Glock (gun shop). When I bought my revolver at Academy I was told they never throw it.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  16. sappy13

sappy13

Whenever i have ever sold a gun, i always write up a good bill of sale, just in case something like that happens. Always cover your bases. You cant help what someone else does with a gun, but you can prevent it from coming back to you. Theres no way you could have known that gun would have been used in a crime.

17. tim12232

tim12232 Pistolero

In NC here, private sale must still have a "permit to purchase" from you sheriff, or photo copy of CHP. Cant wait to get out of NC, really starting to hate liberal Charlotte.

18. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

This is exactly why any and all guns I've ever sold have been consigned through a LGS. HH

19. smokin762

smokin762

The ATF called me.

I sold a handgun to a coworker and he decided to make some extra cash on it and sold it to a regular truck driver that would come in.

The truck driver sold it to a convicted felon in Kansas. The ATF agents called me and ask me what the story was. I explained it and then he asked what the driver looked like. I told him, he was an older gentleman with a big nose and a bubble butt. The agent laughed and said thank you. I think this is the guy sitting in front of me. That’s it.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  20. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Yes.
    Baltimore MD detectives called me (in Texas) about a gun I bought from a FFL dealer that had been used in a killing in Maryland.
    I said I got rid of the gun (legally) and I don't know where it is.

That was the end of it.

When I buy a gun FTF, usually at a gun shot, I give no info and I want no info.
    Sometimes I will show the other party my carry license to show I'm a state resident, with my thumb over my name and address.

I consider it a win every time I end the paper trail on a gun.