close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Got A Buck But..........

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by trapfan, Dec 1, 2002.

1. trapfan

trapfan Got Glock?

Was very thankfull to take a Whitetail buck on the Saturday 23rd. Was on stand about four and a half hours and just past 5 p.m. the deer came in from the right at around 50 yards. Had a doe permit and seen no horns but was a good size deer so I raised the Weatherby Alaskan and sent a .270 Winchester 130gr Federal Hi-Shok just behind the sholder and about five inches up from the bottom edge of the chest. The deer jumped about three foot in the air and ran about thirty yards before crashing in a heap. When I got to the deer seen two small bumps on the head I was upset as I would not have shot a 'button buck'. Took the buck to the Mi DNR office and was told the buck was two and a half years old and would have never had a good sized rack. Would like to hear from other Mi deer hunters on how they think this season was. All of my friends said this season was real bad but all I could say was I was blessed with a antlerless buck and I do not eat the horns anyway. ;Q

2. RJ Schuknecht

RJ Schuknecht

I hunt in Eastern Missaukee county near Moorestown. I thought the season was pretty good. I shot two does. Most of the deer around my area become nocturnal due to all of the baiting going on in the area. Maybe someday the DNR will ban baiting and we will get to see deer moving at all hours of the day and acting like deer.

3. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

Sounds like you need to get into bow hunting!;) I had the best season thus far this year. I was all done with horns 2 weeks into bow season & I've taken 2 does during gun. There is still muzzleloading & late gun doe even! I've never seen as many bucks in a season as I have this year. I've had to pass them up, which is odd for me to be in that position admittedly.

It was good you got that deer out of the "gene pool"! That was real odd... I wouldn't have given you any grief anyways though, it happens to the best of us after all!:) Those single does can be tricky.

There is still time for you guys! Muzzleloading gets pretty darn good. You get a good chance at the "late rut"!

RJ Schuknecht, I don't hunt over bait, which is mostly because I move around too much. It's been my experience that the deer go nocturnal because of all the hunting pressure in gun season. I don't really see how bait could be blamed for that. I have been known to fill a doe tag over bait during late December however. No flame to you, but I doubt that banning bait would change anything at all for that.

4. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

I have to agree with Michigun on the bait issue. We've been allowed to bait here in NJ for a number of years now. It has never stopped me from getting deer during the day.
    On the other hand, I've hunted New Brunswick, Ca a few times. The deer up there are really nocturnal and they don't allow baiting.
    Go figure.