Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
25,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got to wondering - why 2013?

That was 7 years ago - and I still get new never used bills from an ATM - consecutive serial numbers!

I was curious - so I checked the rest of the cash I happened to have -

Nine $1 bills all 2013
Three $5 bills all 2013
Four $20 bills that were not new - all 2013
Two $50 bills both 2013
Fourteen $100's - nine from 2013 and five from 2009

I didn't have any $10 bills -

The $100 bills were mostly from gun sales minus guns I purchased - accumulated over the 8 years since I started selling a few guns. So it is not like I got them from a bank at the same time.

I guess the $100 bills from 2009 must have been from the first few guns I sold - prior to 2013! No sheet Sherlock!

ANYWAY

Does this seem sort of strange?

Banks are still issuing new $20 bills printed 7 years ago - why?

I don't have any bills of any denomination that are newer than 2013 - do you?

Does GT have anyone involved with notaphily that can shed some light on this?

·
Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer
117,517 Posts
Obama's quantitative easing had the printing presses rolling full speed, 24/7.
At least those uncirculated bills are probably free of the Chi-com flu.

·
Registered
25,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Obama's quantitative easing had the printing presses rolling full speed, 24/7.
At least those uncirculated bills are probably free of the Chi-com flu.
That was digital $$ -

·
Registered
27,085 Posts
It's a sign. Send them to me to avoid 7 years of bad luck.

Reactions: FullClip

·
Values. Can't be bought.
13,137 Posts
I read it on the internet.

On U.S. currency, the series refers to the year appearing on the front of a bill, indicating when the bill's design was adopted. The printed series year does not indicate the year a bill was printed; instead it indicates the earliest year that bills of the same design were first made.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts

On U.S. currency, the series refers to the year appearing on the front of a bill, indicating when the bill's design was adopted. The printed series year does not indicate the year a bill was printed; instead it indicates the earliest year that bills of the same design were first made.
This.

They were probably printed last week

·
Registered
511 Posts

There are better places to get a currency question answered than a gun forum.

·
Registered
10,707 Posts
I got to wondering - why 2013?

That was 7 years ago - and I still get new never used bills from an ATM - consecutive serial numbers!

I was curious - so I checked the rest of the cash I happened to have -

Nine $1 bills all 2013
Three $5 bills all 2013
Four $20 bills that were not new - all 2013
Two $50 bills both 2013
Fourteen $100's - nine from 2013 and five from 2009

I didn't have any $10 bills -

The $100 bills were mostly from gun sales minus guns I purchased - accumulated over the 8 years since I started selling a few guns. So it is not like I got them from a bank at the same time.

I guess the $100 bills from 2009 must have been from the first few guns I sold - prior to 2013! No sheet Sherlock!

ANYWAY

Does this seem sort of strange?

Banks are still issuing new $20 bills printed 7 years ago - why?

I don't have any bills of any denomination that are newer than 2013 - do you?

Does GT have anyone involved with notaphily that can shed some light on this?
No, it isn't strange. A money bank, one who takes deliveries from a FRB. Our bank had a large vault that carried inventory of uncirculated bills and a teller that works full time locked in the vault. (it isn't as bad as it sounds) That is how new bills get into circulation.

In 1980ish I was a teller at a money bank and ordered uncirculated $1 bills from the vault (it was around Christmas and a common gift). In the money I received were banded uncirculated $1 silver certificates in numerical order. I bought them from my drawer and still have them today.

The silver certificates had been in the bank vault for decades.

In another instance, the bank vault came up short several thousand dollars. It almost cost the vault teller her job. Months later banded $100s were found in a crimped FRB money bag holding rolled coins. Somehow it had fallen into the bag and the bag crimped before they realized the vault was short. Crimped FRB bags were considered counted and balanced and during the search none of the bags had been opened. It wasn't until the bag was opened months to a year later that the mistake was found.

·
Values. Can't be bought.
13,137 Posts
There are better places to get a currency question answered than a gun forum.
This is not just any gun forum. Much life-saving advice has been dispensed here. :)

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
Got this in change a while back. It’s not 2013 and, didn’t look right.

I ran it through the shredder.

I’m not taking a chance with the Secret Service knocking on my door.

89A33A85-62D6-405E-8574-F605447AA4E8.jpeg

·
Registered
6,925 Posts

·
Registered
25,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No, it isn't strange. A money bank, one who takes deliveries from a FRB. Our bank had a large vault that carried inventory of uncirculated bills and a teller that works full time locked in the vault. (it isn't as bad as it sounds) That is how new bills get into circulation.

In 1980ish I was a teller at a money bank and ordered uncirculated $1 bills from the vault (it was around Christmas and a common gift). In the money I received were banded uncirculated $1 silver certificates in numerical order. I bought them from my drawer and still have them today.

The silver certificates had been in the bank vault for decades.

In another instance, the bank vault came up short several thousand dollars. It almost cost the vault teller her job. Months later banded $100s were found in a crimped FRB money bag holding rolled coins. Somehow it had fallen into the bag and the bag crimped before they realized the vault was short. Crimped FRB bags were considered counted and balanced and during the search none of the bags had been opened. It wasn't until the bag was opened months to a year later that the mistake was found.

The fact they were new bills isn't what seems strange to me - it is that almost all my bills are 2013 -

It seems like I would have some from 2015 or 2018 --

The only ones I have not from 2013 I got before 2013.

I did bank audits from 1980-1983 working out of Sioux City Iowa. The firm had about 40 banks as clients - I was in charge of ~25 of them. It was so boring - most of them were small banks in small town Iowa . You do 6 bank audits in a month - all in some small Iowa farm town and you sort of forget where the hell you even are - it is like being in the twilight zone.

I am not sure what job at a CPA is worse - bank audits or individual tax returns - toss up.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts