close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Got #12

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by TJC, Oct 30, 2003.

1. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

Well it's been a pretty good bow season so far. I shot my 12th deer this morning, a nice old grey faced mature doe. Also shot a nice 8 ptr earlier in the season. Right now just trying to thin the herd out of all these does.
    I hope shotgun season is as good to me as this bow season has been.;f

2. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

Let’s see… 12 New Jersey deer x 2 to get the # of hind-quarters + 12 neck roasts x… by my calculations I’m figuring you should now have about 50 lbs of meat, correct? ;)

Good shooting chief!

3. hoagie55

hoagie55

What's your bag limit in NJ? 12 deer in one season, that is amazing! NJ must have one of the largest herds!

Matt

4. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

MI has a 2 buck limit, but you can shoot as many does as you can get a tag for... in other words, 1 doe tag per day stating in early September & running through January 1st... that's a lot of does per hunter! No limit do does per day either...

5. TJC

Mich,
    Not quite that bad. lol. The 8 ptr was a nice sized 3.5 year old. the does are all running around 80-100 lbs. I have only kept the buck and had it butchered. The rest went to friends etc.

Hoagie,
    NJ has no limit on the number of does you can shoot. It's 1 buck per season except during the firearm buck season, then it's 2. Your bow license allows you all the does for the fall season, I think that's like $27. Then you get a permit for the extended season, another $28 and again all the does you can shoot plus 1 buck.

They really want to cut the population down. Where I am hunting there are like 45-50 deer per sq mile. The does outnumber the bucks unfortunately approx. 18-20/1. Way out of whack. So taking all these does helps the herd in general as well as gets me out to the woods.

6. onemilmhz

onemilmhz Ten Ninety Five

In Georgia you can shoot 2 bucks and 12 does. The deer herd in GA is estimated at somewhere between 1.1 and 1.3 million. According to research the state can only maintain a healthy herd at around 900K to one million. In other words, we need to thin the doe population a bit. I am a firm believer in taking more does to yeild better bucks down the road. Hunters finally caught on last year taking a record amount of female deer. Hopefully this year will be the same.

7. Dan

Dan

Are you in North or South Jersey?

8. TJC

Inferno,
    North Jersey. Southeast corner of Morris County on the Somerset County border.