Gophers/Moles

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Alchemy, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Alchemy

Alchemy Senior Member

The little bastards are wreaking havoc with my lawn, and are even taking out flowering shrubs. I've tried everything but a shotgun and dynamite. I'm all ears as to what others might have used to eradicate these rodents.

2. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

3. Dave514

Dave514

I knew of an old lady who would get up early and drink her coffee on the porch while waiting for signs of the ground moving. She'd go stab the ground with a butcher knife.

Kentucky Shooter likes this.
  4. Dave.1

Dave.1

I have lots of voles around and tried some sonic spikes they had at Home Depot (solar powered). They actually work very well. They also cut way down on the ground squirrels and chipmunks. Cost about $20 and have been working for 5 years so far.

Dave

janice6 and Atomic Punk like this.
  5. 6Actual

6Actual Southern Backwater Mafia

10mm works but....

6. OGW

OGW SAF

You'll get a lot of suggestions ranging from chewing gum to rubber worms, various chemicals, but trapping the little buggers is the only way to get rid of moles.

ETA: The scissor type traps work better than the prong type.

I usually get an infestation of chipmunks in spring and summer and a .22 works best on them.

janice6 and pAZ Ron like this.
  7. Rizzo

Rizzo Garbage Day!

I've killed three in the last year (two in my yard, and one in my MIL's) using these:

https://www.amazon.com/Victor-Easy-...487364653&sr=8-1&keywords=Victor+gopher+traps

It takes some moderate effort, but they work really well. Here's the short version of how to trap these little bastards:

1. Find the most recent mound, and dig it out. You'll only need to go down about a foot or so, and hollow it out about a foot or so, so you'll be left with a bucket-sized hole in the ground.

2. Find the tunnel. It might take some feeling around and digging out loose dirt with your hand, but the tunnel WILL be there; you just have to find it. Scoop/hollow it out as much as you can with your hand.

3. Set one of these traps as shown on the box, and tie it to a piece of string, about 5 feet or so in length. The other end will be tied to a stake you pound in the ground next to the mound; this is so that if it's not an instant kill-trap, the gopher won't be able to run off with your trap.

4. Gingerly place the trap as far into the tunnel as you can, kill-side first. Now, this is important: Carefully fill the tunnel back up with dirt. You have to make it more or less completely light-proof. The gopher will have sensed that something has gone wrong with his tunnel (imagine someone ransacking your house in the middle of the night, and then leaving) and he will come to investigate what's happened, but if he sees any light, he'll just start throwing dirt ahead of himself to seal the tunnel and block the light, and will often bury the trap in the process.

Don't be discouraged if it takes two or three times before you get it "right" and catch the little bastards. The second one I caught took about 4 times, but I persisted, and got him. And if you do catch one, leave the tunnel open for a few days to see if there are any more in there: if the tunnel gets filled back up, then the one you caught wasn't the only one. If it stays open, you should be good.

There are numerous youtube videos and better, more detailed explanations of the fine art of gopher murder than I've given if you search the internet. Good luck.

janice6 likes this.
  8. pAZ Ron

pAZ Ron

I used to live surrounded by woods. They were impossiblto get rid of totally. But scissors type traps , mentioned by OGW, in every tunnel entering the yard kept the damage to a minimum. As the 7 year cicada approached, I trapped 30, 50, then 80 moles by years. If too many tunnels to tell which are active, flatten the tunnels. Then immediately set a trap in any that get raised back up.

9. 308M1A

308M1A

Same here. Moles. Hate em with a passion.

KarlP likes this.
  10. 308M1A

308M1A

Just started spreading repellent. Powdered stuff made w castor oil. Limited success driving them out. Anyone had luck with it? Expensive too.

11. Alchemy

Alchemy Senior Member

Maybe I could fly GKL out here and have her scare them away? Although I would hope that she would have better luck than she did with the turkey in Idaho. :supergrin:

gk

KWalrad likes this.
  12. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

13. OGW

OGW SAF

I've used liquid castor oil (from amazon.com) mixed with liquid dish detergent (to emulsify it) and sprayed it on my lawn with a hose sprayer. It helps, but you still gotta kill the little sumbitches. Supposedly they don't like the castor oil, but you have to use a lot of it (as you said, expensive) and keep reapplying it. The trick is to get it soaked in a ways. The trouble with moles is that they vary the depth they hang out at, some deep tunnels, some shallow ones.

As pAZRon said, find their entry tunnels (from woods, neighbors, whatever) and concentrate on those with scissor traps.

14. astepup

astepup

I had a mole problem a couple years ago. Dug down at the end of the "tunnel track" and inserted a garden hose about two feet in with the other end hooked up to a 20 gallon LP tank. Opened the valve and let it all run into the tunnel. No mo' mole.

15. crater

crater NRA Member

Watching this one. I have 2 acres of mowed lawn with woods all around and a creek. They have been killing me. When I cut the grass I always carry a 22 pistol with me and when I see the grass moving I have a easy shot. Of course there seems to be a millon more that I can't see. I spread a lawn insect killer product from HD last year but that was expensive but did work for awhile. I keep the lawn mowed so my grandson and neighbors can enjoy the pool and yard. They are already bad this year because of the warm weather. I am watching for suggestions. Hoping my new part wolf puppy will help, but I expect a lot of deep holes that will need to be filled in. One thing or another.

16. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Ex Lax or cheap equivalent, their bodies can not take it. My wife uses them to get rid of ones in our gardens.
    Put them down their holes.

17. KWalrad

KWalrad No Wire Hangers!

Hire this guy -
    th (2).jpg

18. Atomic Punk

Atomic Punk

My dad used to use road flares, a shovel, and a dog.
    Light a road flare and jam it down a hole, or a few holes. When the poison fumes drive it out, either his shovel, or the dog finished it off.

19. railfancwb

railfancwb

Moles in particular are mixed blessing/curse. They eat grubs.

Grubs turn into cicadas among other things. Cicadas lay eggs under the bark on your tree limbs. The eggs hatch, larvae eat for awhile, bore through the bark and drop to the ground, becoming the next cycle of grubs.

Meanwhile, some of those tree limbs were so popular the larvae ate enough sap wood to girdle and kill the limb which eventually falls off - missing heads, vehicles, etc if you are lucky.

A way to remove moles is to treat (nice word for poison) the ground to kill the grubs. Likely will kill earthworms as well, which moles also eat. No food, no moles.

Since I don't have a golf course to flood and dynamite, I can't speak to your gopher problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Al Czervik likes this.
  20. W??G

W??G

Mowing my yard in St. Louis in the summer time sucked... 90 degrees 90 percent humidity. Then gophers started to tunnel across my yard leaving speed bumps every where, making my job even harder! I hate the little bastards. Juicy fruit gum worked for me. Kind of a sh--ty way to die if your a gopher but war is war.