Google Voice

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by StuckInCa, Mar 28, 2010.

1. StuckInCa

StuckInCa GT Water Dept

Anyone use this service? Like it? I wanted to try it, but its a invite only service right now.

2. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

send me a pm with your email address and I'll invite you.

3. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

I use it.

It's really wonderful to be able to quickly set my phone number to forward to whatever phone I want, including ringing multiple numbers at once.

I have poor cell phone reception at my house, so the ability to have Google voice call my local-only line and connect me to the long-distance number I want to call (making it an incoming call both ways) is also very handy.

I don't use the voicemail transcription much, but I imagine that if I get an Android phone and integrate it with the primary phone functions, I might.

I've also recently taken to using it for text messages from Canada.

I'd offer invites, but I was already generous with mine and haven't received more. Which stinks, because it really would have helped my dad out, but silly me I'd already helped a few others first.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  4. harlenm

I can help you out with that, PM me an email address to send an invite to.

5. Weiser 878

Weiser 878 R O C K E R

I actually have 3 GV accounts.
    One is a throw away # that I set up on my "play" email account before I realized how useful the service could really be. Wish I hadn't wasted it, but que sera sera...
    Another is tied to the "professional" email account I have. Its the number I give out for all my job applications and business needs (bank, utilities, etc)
    I set one up for my band and its a lifesaver. Its set to ring 3 of our phones so there's a good chance one of us will actually answer, and if it does go to voicemail, I get it emailed right to my phone so I can see who was calling and what about as soon as I'm able to check my phone.

6. F14Scott

F14Scott Luggage CLM

This looks cool. Anyone have a spare invitation they could burn on me?

7. eaglesfan55

eaglesfan55 (>'-')>

hmm so from the conversation would it be safe to infer that google voice is a forwarding service??

8. harlenm

Yes and no. You can make calls from it too. It dials you, and then dials out, so the calls appears to the recipient that it came from your GV number.

9. geofri

geofri Poikilotherm™ Lifetime Member

don't mean to bog down the thread with questions, but would that mean your phone bill could show only incoming calls?:dunno:..

That would me awesome with my summer landscaping business! there are three of us who run it together, and none of us want all the responsibility of answering all the phone calls.

10. harlenm

Your phone bill would show all incomming calls from your GV number.

Edit, on my iPhone, when you use the web app, it dials out from your phone. But using the jailbroken GV mobile app(since apple won't let an official GV app in the app store) it calls you. Not
    sure how it works on other phones.

11. jhall

jhall

Scott if you still need an invite PM me. I have a few.

12. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Not Enough Gun

I have a couple available as well, if anyone needs one.

13. devildog2067

devildog2067

Google Voice is the greatest thing ever.

I have one of those front door buzzers that calls my cell phone, and with Google Voice I can have it ring to both mine and my fiancee's phone at the same time. Just for that feature I'd be willing to pay a bit (and I don't have to, it's free!) Add in the fact that I can now receive texts on a local number even when I'm overseas (I used to turn my phone on when I landed in the US and have dozens or hundreds of texts) and the multitude of features I'm sure I haven't even explored yet, and color me a happy customer.

14. eaglesfan55

eaglesfan55 (>'-')>

google will run the world some day. sounds pretty nifty

15. 25074

25074 "Traveling man"

As a police officer, I need to use my personal cell phone sometimes to make work calls.

I had a bad experiance when some chuckle head got my cell number after I used it to call them and they thought that would be a great way to get hold of the police when they needed us.

BIG MISTAKE!!!

I use Google voie all the time at work now and it is great.

16. College_EMT

College_EMT Guest

I use it but really only for the voicemail transcription. Since I'm a student, a good number of calls go to voicemail while I'm in class or busy and I get the transcript sent via text message to my phone instantly. Good to know what the call was about and how fast I need to call back. I only have my cell phone so I don't use the forwarding option.

17. glock19_fan

glock19_fan ... --- ...

Dial *67, before the number you want to call, on your cellphone, to block your phone number from showing up on the person you call.

GV is awesome though. I have fav 5 on T-mobile, and one of my fav-5 is Google Voice. Free incoming & outgoing calls!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  18. ndhill

ndhill ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I use it, and like it. I also mostly use it for VM transcription. I love getting a txt of what the person said instead of having to listen to it, and keep a pen and paper handy to write stuff down.

Also works great if you own your own business. You can list the GV# as your business number and it keeps people from getting your personal cell. And best of all IT'S FREE! I've got some invites I'd gladly use up on GT peeps. PM me if you are in need. :wavey:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  19. cguardsman

cguardsman

That would be perfect where I'm at out in the sticks where my cell is sketchy and home service is just local. It is invite only??

20. cguardsman

cguardsman

Does anyone have a spare invite they could send me?? this would work out great for me!