close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Google stands up to the Chinese Government

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by jtmac, Jan 12, 2010.

1. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

It looks like Google caught some monkey business and has decided to make a stand.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/01/new-approach-to-china.html

Normally I would not post the content of the link and HerrGlock and I would get into an argument about copyright and fair use BUT this isn't a news article and I don't think Mr. Drummond would mind.

Times, they are a'changin'. The waves this makes in China could have huge repercussions for the Chinese people. Or not, but it's interesting to dream...

2. tbone1970

tbone1970 walmart goat

3. matthewa5

matthewa5

good! i was pissed when i first read way back when that Google agreed to censorship.

4. MetalSlugIV

MetalSlugIV

I think it's funny how Google abandoned their "Do No Evil" policy when it came to dealing with China. Now that it will cost them more money to operate in China they can pull out and get pats on the back for "standing up" when really they just did a cost benefit and figured that continued censorship is costing them more than if they just quit doing business there.

5. ysr_racer

ysr_racer

6. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

I really don't think it's that simple.

Yes, China was a big market for Google. Yes, censoring results is detestable. But do you really think that Google's presence in the search market had ZERO positive impact on social progress in China, even censored?

Play ball and hope to help, or just leave the people to hang? What do you call a person who violates the spirit of his principles in order to follow the letter of them?

7. Mushinto

Mushinto Master Member

Well, GOOGLE still hasn't fixed the "Islam is" bug, but "China is" comes in loud and clear.

:rofl:

ML

8. MetalSlugIV

MetalSlugIV

Yes. I think Google has done nothing for China. I've done searches from google.cn to see what pops up. Try looking for the Tienanmen square protests or other things the Chinese government doesn't want it's citizens to see.

However good things like TOR anonymity network have helped. It bounces internet traffic randomly around computers that are running TOR and it comes out at a random computer somewhere else in the world. It makes it very hard to trace. When China is having mock trials and jailing people calling for democratic reform access to information anonymously is very important.