Google begins testing changes that will eventually break ad blockers...

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by pipedreams, Nov 12, 2019.

1. pipedreams

pipedreams "Knowledge Speaks - Wisdom Listens,"

2. Gundude

Gundude

Dump Chrome.

Install Firefox, go to Settings / Privacy & Security. Under "Enhanced Tracking Protection" select Strict. Under "History" select "Never remember history".

This turns on "permanent private browsing mode". Now make Firefox your default browser so anything you click in an email or another app opens Firefox, and everything you do there is not tracked, at least not once you close it (Keep in mind though you need to close all the browser's windows for it to break the tracking chain of any trackers that made it through the filter, so get in the habit of not leaving any browser windows open).

You'll need a separate browser (I use built-in Edge on Windows) for your bank and credit card management and stuff like that, unless you want to re-validate your device (usually through a text message code) every time you logon to those. But I use that browser only for those known things. I never actually browse with my non-secured browser.

On your phone, install Firefox Focus. It has easy to manage settings which let you have the same level of privacy on your phone browser. In this case, banking and other legitimate stuff is usually done through apps, so I don't even have a back-up browser on my phone.

I've had this setup for at least a year and most sites come through just fine on Firefox even with the blockers. The blockers are built-in so there are no sketchy third party extensions running. As an added bonus, NYT and WaPo blocks browsers running in this mode (they really want their ad money), so you won't accidentally read something on their fish-wrapper sites.

Atomic Punk and JMag like this.

3. illrooster132

illrooster132

INTERESTING . so you mean if were to browse lets say prom, it will not track me or store history ?????
    if that is the case I'm sold. where do I sign?

4. Gundude

Gundude

Right. All browsers already have the option to go "incognito" like that, but only Firefox has it so you can set it to be the default mode. It makes a big difference because most people don't remember to go into incognito mode as a matter of habit.

Keep in mind that none of this shields what you're doing from your Internet Service Provider, but these days almost all sites are protected by HTTPS, which encrypts traffic end to end, so while your ISP can see the places you're visiting, it can't see what you're doing there.

5. JMag

JMag

Google/Alphabet/Android is not and has never been your friend...even with the cutesy Google name. They are now harvesting health records with the second largest health system in the country (Ascension) WITHOUT doctor or patient knowledge, per recent news story.

Also, search “Google DeepMind” for more tantalizing info.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  6. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

If they ever defeat ad blockers completely I will be spending a lot less time on the internet.

Most of the stuff online is just not good enough to compel me to suffer through an ad.

Same with paywalls. In a split second I'm gone. I have plenty of other things to read.

I have a stack of good books I have neglected to read.

Notice you don't see people reading books out in public like you used to. They are glued to their phones and the quality of what they are reading is much poorer.

7. drumgod

drumgod

Google *is* evil.

happyguy likes this.