Goofy 19C Problem

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Yourglocksucks, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Yourglocksucks

Yourglocksucks

I have a 19c that after 200+ rounds or so suffers from a goofy hiccup. Sometimes when it gets dirty, if I have the mag out and I rack the slide back it will lock back without touching the slide release. If I smack the backplate it slams forward and sometimes it won't lock but I can feel it stick back like it wants to when I cycle the slide. The range officer at my go to range says he has seen this before but can't pin point the cause..
    When I clean and oil the barrel and frame, it won't do this but if I shoot 200 or more rounds it will happen recurringly. It's annoying but it's never happened with rounds in the chamber or caused a misfire..

Has anyone seen this issue before? And if so, what is the underlying cause?

2. Yourglocksucks

Yourglocksucks

To add to that, when the slide locks back (no mag in and no slide release touched), the barrel seems to lock tight in place too rather than sitting loose like when you would normally lock the slide back.

3. Mike-M

Mike-M

You say you did not touch the Slide Stop Lever. But you did not say if the SSLhad moved up to engage the slide on its own. If so:

If your G19C has a three-pin frame: Field strip and verify that there is the end of a wire spring is visible UNDER the top frame pin. That is the wire spring for the Slide Stop Lever, which must run UNDER the Locking Block Pin. Otherwise there will be insufficient spring tension to reliably keep the SSL in its lower position.

If you find the wire spring running ABOVE the LBP, push the LBP to the right and push the wire spring UNDER the LBP.

If your G19C has a two-pin frame (thus no LBP): Replace the Slide Stop Lever and Spring.

Welcome to Glock Talk.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    slamdunc likes this.
  4. Mike-M

Mike-M

IF the SSL in NOT holding the slide open:

1. Have you detail-stripped the pistol in the past?
    2. What aftermarket parts have been installed?
    3. Does it have a LBP?

5. COUNTYGUARDIAN

COUNTYGUARDIAN

Similar problem with my bride's 19C at a GSSF MATCH. Armorer said carbon buildup from ports was problem. He originally thought it might have a swollen barrel from firing a round on a bullet in the barrel. Assured him that was not the problem and he looked harder. Said the buildup was really bad. Cleaned it and it ran 100 percent. Armorer said to clean it up after shooting and it should be fine. We do, and it has been. The dirtier the ammo, the faster the buildup collects.