Good working shoes for porkers like me

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by rhone89, Oct 26, 2010.

1. rhone89

rhone89

No sense in trying to act sly about it. I'm a porker pushing three bills, and for the more rotund of us out there, I was wondering if any of you could recommend a really excellent and comfortable pair of socks and shoes for working in.

I do IT and my work often has me spelunking under the desks of others, and on my feet. I wear a 12.5-13 wide, depending on the shoe, if that matters.

Thanks in advance for your input :)

2. "Cold Dead Hands" !

"Cold Dead Hands" !

Red Wing shoes, with good inserts have worked well for me and my average weight.
    Google some shoe or overweight forums too.
    Good luck !

3. GlockRik

GlockRik

hello rhone. I developed pretty serious feet issues from a life time of pounding concrete on my job. What works best for me are running shoes. I wear them almost exclusively and my feet have improved greatly.

The trick is to go to a good shoe store with people that can evaluate your foot and step and recommend the right shoe for you. They do need changing out when the cushion starts to break down.

Rik

4. Westicle

Westicle Canadian... Eh

new balance shoes work great for my fat ass.... but be ready to buy several pair a year, your feet will thank you. I usually go thru a pair every 3-4 months.

5. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

I've been up to 250 and reebok clasics and a good insole worked for me.

6. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

See if you can find a blacksmith around you.

LOL. Sorry. On the serious side... as was already mentioned running shoes work pretty well. I was a Harley tech for a few years before getting back into the IT industry. We worked on concrete floors and I stood up all day. Most boots didn't do much for my comfort, but running shoes helped a LOT. Of course, sounds like you're in an office environment, not sure what the dress code is there... not sure if running shoes would be appropriate or not ?

But yeah.... as I age (51 now)... as well as adding weight... comfortable shoes for all day are getting to be WAY higher on my priority list !!!!

Let us know what you decide on, and if they help or not?

7. Mungrol

Mungrol Wanabe Like RTN

My dad has about the same size shoe as you and he is pushing 300 as well. He says that New Balance are the best he has found. He also has had knee issues and says that when he went to NB exclusively that most of his knee and heel issues went away or at least became tolerable. He is 70 so has issues besides just weight causing his aches and pains and if NB works for him it may be worth a look for you.

8. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

Merrell makes fantastic shoes for those of us with large hoofs. For the most part I wear Asics running shoes, but if the dress code is not friendly to that I go with a pair of my Merrells.

9. FriscoCHL

FriscoCHL

I stand all day on concrete and always had good luck with Redback boots. Some one once told me running shoes are not good to stand in all day cause they Are designed to be run in not stood in all day. Maybe the guy trying to sell me work boots... Anyway, I work in a shop and are not allowed to wear "tennis" shoes, so I had to find a GOOD pair of work boots. Shoes def go with the old adage you get what you pay for!!!

Edit: I am average weight 180 lbs and average feet 10.5. Good luck in your quest.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  10. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

Merrells pretty much suck for me. I just blew out a pair after ~4 months. Those replaced a pair I had before that. I don't wear them all the time either.

I have had the best luck with New Balance. Go to a New Balance store and have them fit you. Also, do you over-pronate or supinate? Look at the bottom of a well-worn pair of shoes. Is there a great deal more wear on the inside (pronation) or on the outside (supination)? If so, NB makes shoes for those conditions. Be prepared to sheel out some bucks though. I just bought a pair of sneakers last week and they were $109. I bought another pair of their Dunhams and they were another $90. Good shoes aren't cheap and I seem to keep forgetting this every couple of years.

Greg

11. dredglock

dredglock

I have had good luck with fabric hiking boots (timberline nike )good insoles and the
    soul doesn't break down as fast as athletic shoes some boots come with zippers if
    your having a hard time tying them. when I was over 3 bills I did.

12. Model19

Model19 Typical GnG

Agreed on the NB shoes. not slip resistant but comfy. I'm only a lil above 200 though.

13. Bucky89

Bucky89

If you're looking for a dress shoe, try Eccos. I don't know how they are for big buys, but they're the most comfortable dressy type I've found.

14. junkie

junkie

New balance 927 from a NB Store Perfect for big fellas like us

15. Ogreon

Ogreon unlisted

You might also check Z-Coil, which have a big spring on the heel. I've talked to several people who have all raved about theirs. They run, I think, about $200.

I use the Dr. Scholl's diabetic socks. The fit around the ankles is much more relaxed. I find normal socks too tight. If you find sock patterns impressed into your lower leg at the end of the day, then I highly recommend them.