Good way to sell, scrap, or recycle old or obsolete computer parts and equipment?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Genso, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Genso

Genso Millennium Member

I've collected a few boxes of obsolete computer parts and accessories (chips, drives, cables, etc) over the years. I would hate to throw it in the trash. I would prefer to scrap it in bulk for cash or at least recycle it. Anybody dealt with this? Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

2. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

Sitting here watching Gold Rush often ask myself if just scraping the gold off the PCI slot fingers and cutting the CPU pins, scraping the CPU gold dots would result in some sort of gold mine going forward...

Save up the junk, spend a weekend scraping... How much could you gather realistically?

Used to work with a local computer recycler until they sold out to China... must be a reason that China was interested in the first place... Ya know???

I DO know these same folks cut a guy loose for doing exactly what I'm talking about - scraping computer components...

Anyone actually tried this?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017

3. jdeere_man

jdeere_man CLM

There is probably a computer recycle place in your area if you google it.

I do some computer work and thus accumulate junk. I give it away to a guy who I presume has some sort of outlet for it. He drives an old astro van with the grill knocked out and one headlight and wears velcro shoes. I am guessing it's not that lucrative. I am just glad to get rid of it.

Just be sure if you have disk drives, you have wiped them, not just "deleted" the information.

You can use various tools, but dariks boot and nuke is fine. (DBAN)

4. mj9mm

mj9mm

Goodwill Ind will the stuff at their Ecycling department , maybe some sort of tax deduction

5. Need4Speed

Need4Speed

If you happen to have a bucket full of 386/486 processors it's good for over 100 bucks a pound!

Don't just toss that stuff in the trash, make sure you recycle it. As already stated, take special care with hard disk drives, you may have personal data on them. I usually give mine a good tap with a hammer. If I know I am going to do a little outdoors/backwoods shooting I bring them along and give them the proper Klingon Warrior's death.....with a 45ACP,10MM, or sometimes the 7.62x39. The guys at the scrap yard don't care if it has holes in it, they dump them into a big bin and crush them anyway.