GlockTalk Forum banner

61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
MiniCapitalist
1,034 Posts
Until and unless there is other life found in the cosmos, the issue of good and evil seem to be manifest only in mankind. The rest of what happens in the universe simply is, it is not either good or evil.

A dingo is not evil for attacking its prey, nor is the the universe inherently evil because it exists.

It seems that only man can develop a spark of evil that leads to genocides, murders, subterfuge and more.

So do you think that there is a universal battle for man to make him one or the other? Or is it purely a environmental circumstance that leads some to this path?
Apes do it. Kill for sport, band together to overthrow the dominant male etc.

·
Banned
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Apes do it. Kill for sport, band together to overthrow the dominant male etc.

To your point, an ape does not have an understanding of right from wrong. They have instinct, and certainly can be mean. But in the entire world history, I do not know of a single ape that killed 10's of millions of other apes to conform the rest of them to their will.

Now, a child that is born feral would have the same level of instinct for survival, correct? But that is not to say a child acted out just to be evil or for some sick pleasure.

·
NRA Life Member
63,390 Posts
HOw very wrong your understanding of Christianity and faith is. People who are truly motivated by God and their faith; spiritual people, act out of their desire to do as God would have them do, without any expectation of reward above the joy it brings them to do good for others.
Be sure and tell the churches, then, so they can stop preaching all that "heaven" and "hell" business.

·
God rules all!
6,209 Posts
Be sure and tell the churches, then, so they can stop preaching all that "heaven" and "hell" business.
Do you think that is the only motivation? If you do then you are sadly mistaken and your understanding of faith and belief is, as I stated before, mistaken as well.

I note you failed to respond the the question about aiding your injured comrades. Is that selfish, or selfless? Do you do that solely in hopes that if you are injured, they will help you, or do you do that because you feel a need and since of obligation to help them without thought of reward?

·
EnemyOfTheState
6,686 Posts
so in the entire history of the world, no one has ever performed a selfless act? I find that hard to believe. What of the guy that throws himself on a grenade to save his buddies? Or the guy that gives a kidney to his brother?

Certainly there have been selfless acts that were done contrary to the preference of the individual.
By what standard are you judging 'selfless' to be 'good'? Why do you believe that the only thing that is 'good' is something done for another, with no benefit to you? Have you considered the ultimate implications of following such an ideological path?

61 - 65 of 65 Posts