Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every couple months I keep getting an itch for a shotgun. It's the one gun I don't have, mainly because I don't have a use for it. I have pretty much all the universal gun needs covered, 22 pistol and rifle, full size 9mm handgun, CCW pistol, home defense pistol, bolt action centerfire rifle, my various range/target guns, but I don't have a shotgun, and it irritates me to an extent.

I'd rather have a pistol for home defense, and I don't hunt, yet. I don't shoot trap or skeet obviously, but I might like to try. We can't shoot anything but slugs at the range, which would be pretty punishing for target practice. I think at that point I'd rather just take my 308 and shoot targets with it since it's scoped and 20rds of 308 costs $15 whereas 5 slugs costs $5. Do the math, the slugs are more expensive.

I bought the 308 on a sweet deal with no real use for it, but at least the ammo is relatively cheap and I can shoot it anywhere. It's a good target rifle. I think a shotgun, no matter how little I pay for it will kinda sit unused as the cheapest ammo I can feed it (target/field loads) can't be shot at the indoor range. Slugs wouldn't be much fun either.

What are some good uses for a shotgun? Convince me to buy one lol.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I use a Mossberg 500 for deer hunting since I don't have the area to shoot them longer than 150 feet. The land is very thick. I use the same gun to protect my home. Its a Mossberg 500 with a full tube magazine 7 rd. It aint fancy but it works great both ways .

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use a Mossberg 500 for deer hunting since I don't have the area to shoot them longer than 150 feet. The land is very thick. I use the same gun to protect my home. Its a Mossberg 500 with a full tube magazine 7 rd. It aint fancy but it works great both ways .
Only problem is I don't hunt and I have a pistol for home defense.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I was in the same boat as you last year. Figured I had everything covered and didn't need a heavy, low capacity, expensive to shoot, hard recoiling long gun. Then I went clay shooting for the first time.

On paper, there's no good reason other than devastating short range firepower. The intangible reason - they're FUN!! That's what made me take the plunge.

·
NRA Benefactor
5,779 Posts
I've been through a lot of shotguns. Bought and sold a bunch and still have a few. I can't imagine not having a shotgun.

Depending on what shotgun you buy, you can use it for: trap, skeet, sporting clays, hunting, home defense, self defense, 3 gun, SASS matches, and general range play.

I recently bought a 410 Browning pump because its light, doesn't recoil much, handy to have around, and a found a couple of cases of 410 shells from when I used to shot skeet. I once bought a SXS coach gun with external hammers at Big 5 because it was inexpensive and looked like it would be fun to hunt with like the pioneers.

Shotguns are relatively inexpensive and 12ga shotgun shells can be bought for around $5.00 for 25 so they aren't expensive. Slugs and buckshot run more.

If you read about the settlers, many of them had a shotgun as their only firearm.

When you carry a shotgun, you feel invincible until you start shooting it. Then you feel confused when you miss with all those pellets flying at the target. It's not like shooting a rifle.

It's versatile shooting everything from 1oz slugs to #9 shot.

If you get a Remington 870 you can change to purpose by changing the barrel.

Bottom line is that it's another shooting discipline.

Another good reason is when you and your buddies go shooting and they decide to take their shotguns out, you can join in instead of pointing your finger and yelling 'bang'.

I have golf clubs and am not the best golfer in the world but I enjoy going occasionally. I don't go out of my way to golf, but periodically associates will ask if I want to join their group. It's nice to be able to say yes and know what I am doing instead of not going at all.

·
20,681 Posts
I've always liked shotguns and mostly owned them for defense or just because they are so damned COOL. I especially like side-by-sides. The first gun I ever bought was a 30 inch double barreled 10 guage "Goose Gun" with exposed hammers that was rusty and needed a lot of work but I fixed it up an dstill hqve that gun today. I bought that gun in 1967 and it is a Joseph Manton & Sons sidelever and cannot be shot with modern ammo but eh shells are easy to load and original I bought a ten dollar Lee loader for it.

But at one point I wanted to learn wing shooting and I bought myself a clay bird thrower. It had angle iron stakes that you were supposed to pound in the ground but they weren't worth a crap so I had a friend make a heavy platform for it so it wouldn't bounce off the ground when you released the clay bird.

It had a string you pulled to release the clay bird and I wanted to test the thing by myself so I extended the string and tied it around my ankle so I could stand behind the thing and release the target with my leg.

It didn't take long at all before I was turning those clay birds into dust! I was using a Remington 870 Wingmaster 20 gauge with a fixed modified choke.

That was just about the most fun I think I'd ever had with my clothes on! Learning a new skill can be very rewarding and if you ever wanted to hunt birds you'd be able to do it. One of these days I want to get a Taurus judge with a six inch barrel and practice aerial shooting with it.

·
Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer
118,680 Posts
Within the most common self defense range, there is nothing as effective as a shotgun.

If you have to defend yourself against more distant targets, beyond common pistol range, a rifle can be more effective. But is it still self defense as distances increase?

Whatever you choose, a backup pistol sure is handy. But shotguns can be very final.

Many of us need places to shoot.

Just because we can.

·
Banned
1,403 Posts
I like my four SKB double barrels for SASS competitions.

I like my Mossberg 930 SPX and my Remington 870 for home defense.

I like my Browning A5 for duck hunting.

I like my 1897 Winchester manufactured in 1898 because it was inexpensive and it's nice to have a gun that's 120 years old and still works.

I like my reproduction 1897 Winchester for SASS competitions.

I like my single shot H&R for kids to use during SASS competitions.

I'll probably buy a Mossberg Shockwave or something like it as an inexpensive trunk gun.

Those are my reasons for owning 10 shotguns, though like you I prefer pistols and have more of them than any other gun type.

·
Farmer, House Sitter and Cook
6,808 Posts
I think a 590 8+1 pump (or for the matter a lower capacity version) is an exceptionally good home defense shotgun and it makes a damn fine LE shotgun in almost all situations except for a few (like in a school shooter).

For non-SD use they are just wonderful for which almost anything a shotgun can be used.

Honestly, for HD I think it would be cool as heck to have a SxS coach gun with external hammers.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I'm going to say what you already know rather than tell you a bunch of things you can do with one that you already said you don't do. You don't need one.

You have no interest in any of the shotgun shooting sports.
You don't hunt so it doesn't matter what the settlers did.
You have home defense covered and even if you did not there is no point in getting one if you are not going to shoot it for practice.
You don't need one. If you want one though they are fairly inexpensive.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
My first gun was a shotgun, 12 gauge Lefever double Nitro Special. My Dad bought it for me for $12 from an old lady who was hiding it from her drunk husband. I was 12 years old at the time and had only shot 12 gauge shotguns. I grew up thinking 12 gauge was the only shotgun to have. Then I discovered 16 gauge, with a Savage double I found in a pawn shop for $100. Of course on to 20 gauge and finally .410. You see I went backwards there from most folks. Now I am wanting a 28. Such a sexy little shell and about the same price as .410s. Bought my brother some of those gauge reducers for Christmas, 20 and 28 gauge, thinking about getting some 28s myself. Only had doubles and pumps, never an auto. You got to have at least one shotgun in your life. Nothing more fun than smoking some clay, or taking down a squirrel or rabbit. Bird hunting is pretty much gone in this area (or bird finding to be precise) but down east is some good duck and geese shooting for those that like that. Dove fields are still around but usually too many hunters on them.
Just one word on slugs. My dept. didn't issue shotguns at first but if you wanted to carry your own you could qualify with it. I had an Ithaca pump 12 Featherweight. I scored 100 with it from 25 yards. Five slugs in the head. The range instructor said "smartass", I told him my target was wearing a vest.

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
Geeze!................. how can you not keep a shotgun in your safe? I've got three 12 gauges, ........just because!

Mossberg 500, 930 SA, and a 590 shockwave!

I've had more fun shooting these guys! I also cleaned up a friend of mine's old single shot, break barrel 410 shotgun that was a hooooooot!

Heck you can even pick up a 12 gauge Mossberg Maverick 88 at Academy for 179.99!

·
Registered
45,178 Posts
DON'T DO IT!

1 won't be nearly enough if you start. The first gun I ever bought was a shotgun and if I had to sell all but 1 gun...it might be a shotgun. Trap, sporting clays, deer, ducks, turkeys, pheasants, squirrels, home defense, SHTF, so many different loads. The gun that actually won the west.

·
Scottish Member
13,183 Posts
Depending on what shotgun you buy, you can use it for: trap, skeet, sporting clays, hunting, home defense, self defense, 3 gun, SASS matches, and general range play.
With the exception on SASS, an M2 would be hard to beat for an all-around gun for the others you mentioned.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.