Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Previously Joseph Lefferts
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I currently own a G20sf and was looking into getting a 9mm for CCW. My original choices were narrowed down to either a S&W Shield or a G19. Recently I was offered a trade deal that if I were to get a CZ Rami and didn't like it, I could trade it for a HK P2000 + $200 or 1300 rounds. Now I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. Iv handled both the Shield and G19 and have had little experience with the P2000 and have never fired a CZ. Unfortunately my local range only carries a CZ 97 and iv had no experience with a CZ. Any suggestions???

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Go with what you like, rather than something that may seem like a good deal at the time, but may or may not be.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
If this were my situation i’d keep the 20sf and purchase a g19. While the other guns are nice i prefer the ease of acquiring parts and repairs that the Glock platform offers.

·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like your first 2 choices better than your trades .
For me the Shield grip is a little narrow being a single stack which I can fix with maybe a hogue sleeve, and the g19 is slightly larger than the shield and feels better in hand as is. I can imagine the shield would be more comfortable for iwb but the g19 feels slightly better in hand. I love shooting them both but have never iwb carried either

·
Registered
15,882 Posts
I guess it depends the Shield(Small single stack) and 19 Compact but really not THAT compact and surely larger than the Shield but holds more rounds...you must have a preference as they are 2 ..well really totally different guns size and ammo capacity wise...what do you like more?

I wear size L gloves.......I dont have giant meathooks nor are my hands small with small fingers..I say they are just average size...to me the Shield fits perfectly in my hands...the Glocks overly fat grip is just still that overly thick/fat and the angle compared to most guns is off for me also...So for me if I were looking small max conceal id go Shield..now if I were more worried about carrying almost 3X as much ammo(or at least 2X) in 1 magazine get the Glock 19 instead...they are great guns...but they are in 2 different classes really.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
For me the Shield grip is a little narrow being a single stack which I can fix with maybe a hogue sleeve, and the g19 is slightly larger than the shield and feels better in hand as is. I can imagine the shield would be more comfortable for iwb but the g19 feels slightly better in hand. I love shooting them both but have never iwb carried either
I agree , and you are right the Shield would be more comfortable to carry and you would not have to get as big of a waistline pants . A smaller gun pistol is easier to dress around .

·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess it depends the Shield(Small single stack) and 19 Compact but really not THAT compact and surely larger than the Shield but holds more rounds...you must have a preference as they are 2 ..well really totally different guns size and ammo capacity wise...what do you like more?

I wear size L gloves.......I dont have giant meathooks nor are my hands small with small fingers..I say they are just average size...to me the Shield fits perfectly in my hands...the Glocks overly fat grip is just still that overly thick/fat and the angle compared to most guns is off for me also...So for me if I were looking small max conceal id go Shield..now if I were more worried about carrying almost 3X as much ammo(or at least 2X) in 1 magazine get the Glock 19 instead...they are great guns...but they are in 2 different classes really.
Id say I have small/medium hands but I currently own the g20 and the grip feels great. The shield feels a bit narrow but I can always put a hogue sleeve on it. Me being a Californian I can only currently legally carry up to 10rds in a mag. That being said I would ultimately get a mag extension for the shield if I happen to go that route. Both the G19 and Shield are plenty small enough for me as I currently carry my g20.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I'm also one that thinks that the Glock 19 or Shield 9mm would be a better choice. Which one though? That you will have to answer for yourself, good luck with your choice.

Remember though, if you get one and don't like it - you can trade/sell it off and get something else… life is too short to not have the gun(s) you want.

Reactions: LFRTS

·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm also one that thinks that the Glock 19 or Shield 9mm would be a better choice. Which one though? That you will have to answer for yourself, good luck with your choice.

Remember though, if you get one and don't like it - you can trade/sell it off and get something else… life is too short to not have the gun(s) you want.
Amen to that brother! I appreciate it.

·
Registered
Glock 45/19X
9,554 Posts
I currently own a G20sf and was looking into getting a 9mm for CCW. My original choices were narrowed down to either a S&W Shield or a G19. Recently I was offered a trade deal that if I were to get a CZ Rami and didn't like it, I could trade it for a HK P2000 + $200 or 1300 rounds. Now I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. Iv handled both the Shield and G19 and have had little experience with the P2000 and have never fired a CZ. Unfortunately my local range only carries a CZ 97 and iv had no experience with a CZ. Any suggestions???
I'll toss on my instructor hat for a moment.

What is your level of experience overall? And what is your level of experience specifically with striker-fired pistols vs. hammer-fired pistols?

Shield: Striker-fired. Well made, popular with options of manual safety or not. Decent capacity of 7 or 8 rounds. Decent carry size.

Glock 19: Striker-fired. Wildly popular with good reason. Double the capacity of the Shield (if you live in a free state). Decent carry size. A Glock 26 will have all those advantages and carry a bit better.

CZ Rami: Hammer-fired DA/SA. So it will be a different shooter than a S&W or Glock. Different but not bad if you have experience with them. I prefer a DA/SA or DAO LEM style hammer-fired pistol. Personal preference based on experience. Heavier than the Shield but more capacity.

HK P2000: Hammer-fired. It's an HK so it's built like a tank and will outlast you and whoever inherits the pistol after your gone. The SK version is even better for carry but either is doable as the P2000 is about Glock 19 size.

Some mentioned the Sig P365. As far as small, easily concealed 9mm pistols the P365 is without equal and that includes the Hellcat. It will be the smallest of any mentioned above yet offer 10, 12 or 15 rounds of capacity. Safety or no manual safety at your option. Xray night sights and can be purchased for $500 or below these days. Great option. Personally, I carry the P365 and no longer even glance at Shields or the CZ. Strong contenders would be the Glock 26/27 or one of the HK SK pistols.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
If it were me I would land in between the two and get g26. I mean the g19 isn’t that bad to conceal but it is a heavy gun. The 26 just disappears with the flush fit mag and you can carry a backup g17 or 19 mag. Personally I think everyone should own a g19, g26 and a g43 or some variant of all three. These three pretty much cover any type of scenario or situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
If it were me I would land in between the two and get g26. I mean the g19 isn’t that bad to conceal but it is a heavy gun. The 26 just disappears with the flush fit mag and you can carry a backup g17 or 19 mag. Personally I think everyone should own a g19, g26 and a g43 or some variant of all three. These three pretty much cover any type of scenario or situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Suit Formal wear Event Tuxedo

·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'll toss on my instructor hat for a moment.

What is your level of experience overall? And what is your level of experience specifically with striker-fired pistols vs. hammer-fired pistols?

Shield: Striker-fired. Well made, popular with options of manual safety or not. Decent capacity of 7 or 8 rounds. Decent carry size.

Glock 19: Striker-fired. Wildly popular with good reason. Double the capacity of the Shield (if you live in a free state). Decent carry size. A Glock 26 will have all those advantages and carry a bit better.

CZ Rami: Hammer-fired DA/SA. So it will be a different shooter than a S&W or Glock. Different but not bad if you have experience with them. I prefer a DA/SA or DAO LEM style hammer-fired pistol. Personal preference based on experience. Heavier than the Shield but more capacity.

HK P2000: Hammer-fired. It's an HK so it's built like a tank and will outlast you and whoever inherits the pistol after your gone. The SK version is even better for carry but either is doable as the P2000 is about Glock 19 size.

Some mentioned the Sig P365. As far as small, easily concealed 9mm pistols the P365 is without equal and that includes the Hellcat. It will be the smallest of any mentioned above yet offer 10, 12 or 15 rounds of capacity. Safety or no manual safety at your option. Xray night sights and can be purchased for $500 or below these days. Great option. Personally, I carry the P365 and no longer even glance at Shields or the CZ. Strong contenders would be the Glock 26/27 or one of the HK SK pistols.
I definetly have more experience with stiker fire pistols and iv fired only about 500rds through the p2000 but I like it. I did happen to see the hellcat at my local shop priced at $499 and was considering it. it felt great in hand but have never shot one before, and I don't know too much about them.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts