Good thick-soled shoes: what brand?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by rdbjr57, Nov 4, 2010.

1. rdbjr57

rdbjr57

I've been having a little trouble recently with my back (had surgery 10+ years ago)... nothing too serious now though thankfully...

But my chiropractor said I need a good pair of thick-soled shoes to wear as opposed to thin-soled shoes, particularly when I am going to be on my feet for long periods of time (like at the Louisville Gun show recently for about 6 hours!)

I'm obviously not looking for dress shoes but they do need to be appropriate for Dockers-style trousers and button down shirts.

Not sure how this applies, but I remember in one of the Jack Reacher novels it mentions his "thick-soled English walking shoes"... I wish I knew more about that...

Anyway, anyone have experiences/suggestions they can recommend?

2. community

community Member

Rockport. The only shoe I will wear.

3. ppcrusa

ppcrusa

+1
    Nothing feels like Rockports

4. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

You could look at Dr. Martens, but I don't know if they have any without the signature contrasting color sole stitching.

5. mhambi

mhambi κολασμένος

I've seen some really thick lucite ones.... but the 6" heel isn't going to do your back any favors... :rofl:

Dr. Martins

or

Rockport

would be my two suggestions.

6. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

I used to wear Rockports, but then a few years ago the insoles started breaking down on me while the outsole was barely worn. Anyway, I went looking for shoes and ended up with a pair of SAS with custom orthotics in them. Fair warning on the SAS, they don't have a lot of heel on them, I have to have them built up or they mess with my back.

Lots of folks swear by Doc Martins, have to try a pair some day I guess.

To me the custom insole with the wedge, heel cup and extra arch support is more important than the shoe itself, my New Balance hikers are a pair of the most comfortable shoes I have ever had, but it is the orthotics that makes the difference. The key is to go to a shoe store that offers fitting and custom orthotics and then pick a good shoe with an insole meant to be removed and customized.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  7. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

Merrell.
    Other than running shoes they are the most comfortable shoes I own.

Mine are black leather lace up semi-casual shoes with a globe on the sole.

8. Mister Clean

Mister Clean

[​IMG]

This footwear classic originated in 1965 when Lance Clark sketched out a moccasin to create the world’s first comfort shoe.

Special thanks to Sandy for submitting these shoes of the day: Clarks England – Men’s Wallabee

Sandy says, “These are the most comfortable shoes I have ever owned. Babe Magnets.”

Sandy also said, “If you want a shoe that screams ‘I am the coolest human being alive’, it’s the Clarks Wallabee.”

Hop around all day or on the weekends in these comfortable Clarks England Wallabee mid boots. These boots are smooth like butter with a leather lined insole and textured rubber gum sole. This will be the only time when you’ll be thankful you had gum on your soles!

9. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  10. american lockpicker

american lockpicker License to Il

Footprints(sold at birkenstock.)