Good Suggestions for food ideas for single people

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by pal2511, Jun 3, 2004.

1. pal2511

pal2511

Anyone got any ideas on some good suggestions for recipes that only take 20 or 30 minutes to cook for a single guy that is always seeming to be working. Must not take long to cook and easy cleanup with simple ingrediants. I am sick of the normal george foreman stuff and I do not have a bbq grill and cannot have one due to restriction of where I live.

2. Penman

Penman Goauche User

Takes a little longer, but since it's baking you can do other stuff:
    Chicken pieces
    Chopped frozen spinach (thawed)
    1 can cream of chicken soup
    1 can coconut milk (same size as the regular can of Campbell's soup)
    salt and pepper
    baking dish (9x13 or so)
    pre heat oven to 350
    Take a baking dish and cover the bottom with the spinach. Place the chicken pieces on the spinach and season with the salt and pepper to taste. Mix the cream of chicken soup and the coconut milk, and pour over the chicken, spreading it evenly around the dish. Bake at about 350 for 40-50 minutes. Serve on top of rice.

3. JennYe

JennYe

If you are a single guy, just eat at Hooters.

;f

4. Big Sexy Glock

Big Sexy Glock

You can literally live on Hamburger Helper and Manwich

;f

5. Big Sexy Glock

Big Sexy Glock

Macaroni and Cheese ,

6. Big Sexy Glock

Big Sexy Glock

. . .. . and Instant Mashed Potatoes do the trick also

7. pal2511

pal2511

we dont have a hooters nearby. I have been eating at a local chinese resturaunt lately. You can get a whole meal for like 8 or 9 bucks and I can eat it for lunch and dinner if I want

8. pal2511

pal2511

What kind of chicken pieces do I use. White dark or what. does the supermarket sell just "chicken pieces"

9. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Oh boy, I can see we are going to have to help you alot!

If you like white meat, use white, if not use thighs as they are easier to work with for a recipe like this!

Oodles of Noodles are pretty good and CHEAP too.

10. Penman

Penman Goauche User

If you have a Costco or similar store nearby, you can buy bags of chicken thighs, breasts, etc. individually glazed and frozen so you can take out what you need. The recipe above isn't specific, use your favorite pieces, or buy a whole chicken and cut it up. The coconut milk can be found in the Asian Foods section or a local Asian grocery. Don't get this confused with the coconut juice they sell as a beverage, nor the coconut syrup that's sold for cocktails. Make a full baking dish and you'll have enough for a couple of days.

11. Dino Rustler

Dino Rustler

Go to:
    http://dolcevita.com/
    Go to cuisine, then dolcevita suggestions, then eating cold, then the salad.
    Simple and very good. All the items are at any grocery store. There are some very good, simple, and easy meals on that web site. Just sort of cruise around. I use it all the time. If it takes more than about 10 minutes to fix and more than 30 to cook I don't do it!!
    Also check out "Cooking for Dummies". I have about 10 of the "Dummy"
    books and they are excellent!!

12. pizzaaguy

pizzaaguy

Pick up a rotisserie chicken from your local supermarket $5.00.
    Nuke a potato and toss a small salad and yer done.

You can get 2-4 meals out of one of those cooked chickens
    depending on size of chicken/appetite.

13. BikerGoddess

BikerGoddess Got hairspray?

I make and freeze chili. Takes a bit longer initially, but if you make a lot, then you have super-simple meals for quite some time. (I also freeze some shredded cheese, so I always have it, too)

Actually, I make most of my meals on the weekend, so that I just have to grab something, rather than make something. Takes a few hours, but you get it out of the way for a week...

If you want to go cheap and easy, rice and beans can't be beat. I made mine in the crockpot (which I might get back some day), so the only thing requiring any effort was the rice. I got the 7 bean soup bag and instant rice. Follow directions on packages. You can also cut up ham pieces, but it does increase the cost of the meal.

Laura

14. TwinGlock40z

TwinGlock40z

I love instant mashed taters

15. Bill D

Bill D Millennium Member

Check out Rachael Ray's show on The Learning Channel- 30 Minute Meals- 6:00 in Atlanta.

16. bayerta

bayerta Former Marine

Spam and scrambled eggs with cheese. (yes, I have problems)

BikerGoddess

I would do the same, but there is a lack of supplies here. Do you use beer in your chili?

17. Colonel Klink

Colonel Klink

For some reason I bought an omlet pan and learned to cook omlets. Some of the need to knows: Eggs at room temperature for one hour. One tablespoon of water. Salt and pepper to taste. Very hot pan, add pat of butter. When butter is crackeling add eggs. When eggs set pull in side while tilting pan to flow liquid to open part of pan. Do as often as needed until eggs are dry. Fold onto plate and garnish.

Women are a pushover for a man cooking a meal. There has never been a man shot by his wife while cooking.

18. IDC

IDC

done this and it worked for me. I cooked once a week and made enough for 8 days, then seal a meal ok granted i made a BIG pot of stew,then 2 lbs of pasta, mac and cheese and chilli all in seal-a-meal bags and into freezer, then its just a matter of open frig take bag put in boiling water/microwave when this gets old Micky D's or fast food of your choice

19. Stephen

Stephen Hola! Millennium Member

Here's a GREAT recipe for a single serving. It's uber fast to prep and make. Total time (depending on how fast you cut/chop) is about 12 minutes.

1/3 cup julienned fennel bulb
    1/3 cup julienned leeks, white part only
    1/3 cup julienned carrots
    1/3 cup julienned snow peas
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/8 teaspoon whole coriander seed, ground fine
    1 (8-ounce) salmon fillet, pin bones removed
    1 orange cut into wedges with white, pithy membrane removed
    1 tablespoon dry vermouth

Take a 15 by 36-inch piece of parchment paper and fold in 1/2 like a book. Draw a large 1/2 heart on paper with fold of paper being the center of the heart. Cut out heart and open. Lay fennel, leeks, carrots, and snow peas on parchment in center to 1 side of fold. Mix together salt, pepper, and ground coriander. Sprinkle vegetables with 1/2 of salt, pepper, and coriander. Lay salmon on top of vegetables and season with remaining salt, pepper and coriander. Top with the orange wedges and sprinkle with vermouth. Fold other side of heart over fish and starting at top of heart shape, fold up both edges of parchment, overlapping folds as you move along. Once you reach the end tip, twist several times to secure tightly. Place on microwave safe plate and cook for 4 minutes, on high in microwave, or until fish reaches 131 degrees. Open parchment carefully and serve for a complete meal.

Edited to add: You can obviously substitute other veggies depending on what's available, fresh and tempts your taste buds. Just make sure they're julienned for faster cooking. Further you can use the precut parchment paper (as we do) and just roll it up and seal it (no staples in the microwave).

20. JadedOne

JadedOne

Get a crock pot, and a crock pot cookbook. Most of it takes about 15 minutes to prep (and preparing usually consists of getting it all out on the counter and throwing it in the crockpot in the proper layers), and you leave the crock pot on all day. If you put the pot on low, it doesn't matter when you get home, your food will not overcook, and it will be hot when you walk in the door. If you get those plastic oven bags, you can line the crock pot with them, put everything in, and when you want to take it all out, just remove the bag and you won't even have to wash the crockpot (as the food has never come in contact with the pot itself).

Also, crockpots have removable liners, so if you are lazy, and you want to go from fridge to cooking back to fridge again, you can.