close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Good source of IBM model M keyboards?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Zak3056, Aug 21, 2004.

1. Zak3056

Zak3056 NRA Life Member

Does anyone know a good source of IBM Model M keyboards other than ebay? These days the shipping charges people want for them is outrageous making ebay a less than economical source.

My currrent model M (manf 09/01/93) is still going strong, but I'd like to have a spare as supplies seem to be drying up. ;1

2. chevrofreak

chevrofreak Senior Member

buy used, not new. i sold a keyboard on ebay and only charged something like $5 shipping.

3. Deathwind

Deathwind

There's some here, but it looks like they'd be about $50 total after shipping, which might be more than eBay. I think there's some other keyboards being manufactured with the signature buckling-spring mechanism though, you might want to look around. There's a good amount of info here.

4. ronin_asano

ronin_asano

i can't remember the name of that company that makes exclusively buckling spring keyboards. they pitched us at the end of last year.

found it!

check out unicomp. they are the only people i know that are still dedicated to the buckling spring design. they even have some models that quiet that damn noise.

i love the buckling spring, but hate the noise.

anyway, check them out.

http://www.pckeyboard.com/index.html

5. Zak3056

Zak3056 NRA Life Member

Alot of the "deals" I just looked at on Ebay were $20 for the keyboard and $15-$20 more for shipping. You don't have another one you want to sell, do you? ;f

6. Zak3056

Zak3056 NRA Life Member

That's part of the reason I like them. I just can't type on a keyboard unless you can hear me in the next county.

Thanks for the Unicomp link. They're expensive as heck (except their "value plus" model, which I can't imagine is anything like what I'm looking for) but at least someone is still manufacturing new ones.

If you try to explain to people exactly why you have to have these keyboards, nobody understands--unless they're a fellow addict. ;f

7. grenadier

grenadier

Great keyboards. Mine are all at least a decade old, and are all still going strong.

For those that don't know about these, they're made with the strongest of metals and plastics, and are the types that you can use to bash someone on the head, and not worry about its functionality afterwards.

E-bay is the best source. Most are 20-25 bucks, including shipping, since not many folks bid on them.

8. chevrofreak

I've got an oooooold keyboard around here that makes the clicky sound. Its a BTC-5339R (http://www.codemicro.com/store/prod_results.cfm/mode/5/srchparm/BTC5339.cfm) that has that old bigass style plug on it. Is this something like you're looking for?

9. ronin_asano

ronin_asano

10. Zak3056

Zak3056 NRA Life Member

I found a sale on ebay last night that had the typical $20 shipping, but it was for a lot of 9 of them--so I bid on it. They're not IBM, but they're ALPS which are just as good.

I figure they'll keep me going for the rest of my lifetime. I also figure this proves I have some sort of problem and should probably seek help.

BTW, it's item

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5117130274&ssPageName=STRK:MEBI:IT

If anyone here is interested and would normally try to bid against me, may I suggest we not do so and split the lot? Thanks. ;f

11. chevrofreak

I prefer the term bigass ;f

This keyboard looks really similar.

12. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

Those keyboards are the bomb!

A lot of hackers and Linux uber geeks love those keyboards.

The satisfaction of hitting that run key is music to somes ears!.

:)