close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Good riddance.

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Detectorist, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Detectorist

Detectorist

Virginia killer who sent taunting letter awaits execution

By Bill Mears, CNN Supreme Court Producer

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
    • Paul Warner Powell was convicted of murdering Stacie Reed and raping her sister
    • Afterward, he wrote a taunting letter to the prosecutor giving new details of the crime
    • In a second trial, his admission of attempted rape of Stacie got him the death penalty
    • The U.S. Supreme Court in January refused to block the execution

RELATED TOPICS
    Washington (CNN) -- The murderer of a 16-year-old girl faces electrocution Thursday after a letter bragging about his crimes got him a cell on Virginia's death row.

Attorneys for Paul Warner Powell plan no further appeals, and Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell has denied clemency. The U.S. Supreme Court in January refused to block the execution. The execution is set for 9 p.m. ET Thursday.
    Powell was convicted in the 1999 murder of Stacie Reed and the rape of her 14-year-old sister in their Manassas, Virginia, family home.

Powell claimed double jeopardy after state prosecutors put him on trial for a second time in the killing. The high court in July delayed Powell's execution while considering the broader constitutional claims, which were finally rejected. The killer rejected lethal injection, the state's usual method of execution.

"I'm hopeful this is the last legal chapter in the long history of this case," said Powell's prosecutor, Prince William County Commonwealth's Attorney Paul Ebert. "The survivors -- Stacie's mother and [her sister] -- have really been traumatized by delay after delay. Hopefully they're going to get some peace and closure after all these years."

CNN does not identify sexual assault victims without their permission, even though the surviving victim, now 25, has talked publicly about the case.
    The crime shocked the Washington area. Stacie Reed knew Powell, then 20 and an admitted racist. The state's highest court eventually threw out the 2000 verdict in the first trial, saying prosecutors had not proven other necessary death-eligible offenses were committed against the 16-year-old. Such "aggravating" factors could include, rape, attempted rape or robbery in commission of the murder.

The sexual assault and attempted murder of Stacie's younger sister was upheld, and Powell was given a long prison sentence.

Powell, believing he was free from execution, proceeded to write a taunting, profanity-filled letter from behind bars to Ebert, laying out explicit details of the crime unknown to investigators at the time.

"Since I have already been indicted on first degree murder and the Va. Supreme Court said that I can't be charged with capital murder again, I figured I would tell you the rest of what happened on Jan. 29, 1999, to show you how stupid all of y'all ... are," wrote Powell, who is white.
    He said he had gone to the Reed house to confront Stacie for dating a black boyfriend. He admitted pinning the victim, threatening to rape her, then stabbing her in the heart when the girl resisted. He then stomped on her throat.

"I guess I forgot to mention these events when I was being questioned. Ha Ha!" he wrote in 2001. "Do you just hate yourself for being so stupid ... and saving me?"

The killer also said that after that crime, he waited in the house until the younger girl returned from school, then attacked her, leaving her for dead. In the meantime, he drank iced tea from the family refrigerator and smoked a cigarette, part of the forensic evidence that investigators used to place Powell at the scene of the crime.

With this firsthand account from Powell, he was indicted again and charged with murder and attempted rape of Stacie -- a capital-eligible crime. He again was convicted, and federal and state courts subsequently upheld the conviction on appeal.\

In other news, I'll be eating a bag of chips when while he croaks.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/03/18/virginia.killer.letter/index.html?hpt=T2

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  2. Rabbit994

Rabbit994

Does that mean we get to shoot him instead?

3. Detectorist

Detectorist

Cool, he's dead. Good work, State of Virginia.

Oh darn, forgot to get some dip for my chips. :crying:

4. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

I'll donate my generator for the electric chair.

5. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I agree.. Good riddance.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  6. Bullman

Bullman Deranged Deputy

I wonder how much Appalachian Power will charge the Commonwealth for the electricity it takes to fry this puke.

7. Brucev

Brucev

Recon why it has taken so long to light him up?

8. A6Gator

A6Gator

Send me the bill. Money well spent rather than sending it in income taxes and letting the gov't piss it away on "stimulus" stuff.

9. Bullman

Bullman Deranged Deputy

You sure you want it? I know some folks whose monthly power bill through the winter topped 6 bills. No telling how much juice it will take to fry this jerk

10. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

Anybody have the address for VA DOC so we send the thank you card?

11. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Ooops. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Detectorist, can you tell me another happy story?

12. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I bet that guy was so scared to talk after that, that he didn't even give any last words... What a freakin idiot.

Don't know if you guys have seen this asshats letter in its entirety, but if not.. its here...

http://www.imsurroundedbyidiots.com/people-on-death-row-in-virginia/paul-warner-powell/

IGF

13. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

I'll take a dump at 9PM ET Thursday to commemorate his entrance to hell.

14. KING-PIN

KING-PIN

Now THAT is beautiful.

I will make sure I hold it until then as well.

:wavey:

15. keeper85

keeper85

Thankfully there are states that will still execute sadly not the cast for liberal NC.

16. Detectorist

Detectorist

:rofl::rofl::embarassed:

17. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

Won't take much. Put him in a bath tub full of water and throw in the live wire. Watch the flotsam jerk and seize and flail his way into death. It would still be less punishment than what the victim got.

18. Bullman

Bullman Deranged Deputy

Your probably right, I was just taking a jab at the power company