close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Good reason to never buy Craftsman tools again

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by sdsnet, Nov 10, 2012.

1. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

2. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Screw Sears.

I buy Kobalt tools, anyway. Lowe's will take them back without any fuss what-so-ever.

3. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

Yeah...I hate Chinese knockoffs, and will pay more for something made in the USA 99% of the time.
    But I've had a lot of Craftsman tools, some over 30 years old, and have only returned a 3/8" ratchet that finally crapped out after years of use and abuse. No questions asked, the clerk gave me a new one, although it's not as nice as the old orignal one.
    Can't balme Sears so much as the folks willing to save a couple bucks and get the cheap imitation things.

4. TK-421

TK-421

Man, and Craftsman used to be one of the best too. Oh well, time to find a better manufacturer who actually makes their tools in the US. I always try to buy US made if I can. Foreign workers get enough money from us as it is, time to let our citizens get some money too.

5. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Didn't Sears do the exact same thing to the guy who invented the quick-release ratchet handle years ago? HH

6. Averageman

Averageman

I own a wide variety of tools and most of them are ten to twenty years old and most of the are Craftsman tools.
    I dont care where they were made, they do good work for me here and allow me to make a living.
    Getting a Lawyer and fighting Sears for producing that knock off is what he should do.

7. glock_19guy1983

glock_19guy1983

This is why all of my lineman tools are Klein and most of my hand tools are Snap On and Mac.

8. Adjuster

Adjuster

The guy invented a good product. He had multiple offers to purchase his design and patent. He could have made a deal to sell with a share of future sales/profits. He decided to go it alone. And now he is being beat down by a larger, more substantial, more profitable company with the resources to manufacturer and distribute at a better price. I don't see the problem. If Craftsman did patent infringement then that will be decided by the court. Or the consumer can step up and only purchase Mr. Browns product. Thats not going to happen as the Craftsman name carries much more weight then the Mr. Brown Bionic Wrench. Throwing the 'its American made' card into his argument is an emotional ploy to better his chances in his lawsuit.

/

9. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

buy cheye...nese tooools and help pay off our debt to them.

10. Berto

Berto woo woo

The 3/8 drive ratchets don't withstand being thrown into concrete very well, aside from that...

11. RenoF250

RenoF250

Craftsman has been tumbling down hill for awhile. The only thing left made in USA is the wrench and ratchet sets. Even those have the Companion MiC brand. If I want MiC I will go to HF and pay 1/3 the price, they take them back too.

It is no wonder Sears has been struggling to stay alive.

12. DaneA

DaneA

Apextoolgroup makes many of the popular brands out there. Including craftsman, gearwrench, and crescent. There is nothing wrong with Chinese quality. They build the stuff to the specs given to them by their customers. We, as consumers, demand cheap crap so that's what we get.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

13. Harper

Harper

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  14. Adjuster

Adjuster

As stated above. It doesn't matter if the tool is made in Beijing, Dusseldorf, Detroit or Ottawa. If its an American owned company of any reputation the tool is made to specs of materials and quality as set forth by the design. It also has to meet umpteen hundreds of standards just to be imported. If you pay for cheap Chinese you get cheap Chinese. If you pay for quality Chinese you get quality Chinese.

/

15. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

The only Sears Craftsman tools they have replaced under warranty for me in the last 10 years were wrenches and screwdrivers. Anything expensive with the Craftsman name, they refused to replace for me.

I do not see them as having any advantage anymore. I now buy on quality and not on the Craftsman name.

16. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

I'm not a pro user of tools. But I'm really hard on everything - my 30yo set of Klein Lineman's pliers work as new even though I've used them regularly as a hammer, trenching tool, pry-bar, nail bar etc.

Klein, IMO, makes the best 12 in 1 screwdriver ever as well.

17. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

I can't agree with any of that. Clearly his tool was copied.

18. BigsWick

BigsWick Rat Powered

Timely.

A couple of months ago I had one of those Craftsman Robo Grip pliers jam up and break when I forced it, so I took it back to Sears. I explained what happend and said I wanted to buy another pair to go with the rest of the set. They were a gift from my dad, so there's a little sentimental attachment, even though they aren't the best locking pliers I've ever owned.

Sears dude says they are warrantied forever since they are American made, no questiones asked, regardless of the fact that technically I broke them. Cool. Only problem is that Sears dropped them from their tool selection because so many guys were having the same problem as me. They offered me a store credit that I chose to use on a Bionic Wrench, the one made in the USA. They had a similar Craftsman one, but it was made in China.

So, at one point they were selling both, and yes, the Made in China version was cheaper.

Gotta add that I have a set of hand tools I bought from Sears 30 years ago and have had no problems. Ever. The newer stuff? Well, I can see a difference in the quality of many items. If you ask they'll tell you that the Made in China stuff doesn't have the lifetime warranty.

19. alphacat

alphacat account deleted

I only buy tools that are made in China.
    It's the new american way to support our friends in other lands.

20. El_Ron1

El_Ron1 AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!