GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20,121 Posts
That's the only one on Patton that I have read. Not a bad read in my opinion. Sorry no other suggestions.

·
Registered
12,323 Posts
Cannot recommend a specific book. He spent summers with John Moseby. So, if you want to understand his tactics, get the few books on the guerilla fighter of the Civil War. Patton was the richest officer in the US Army. The German Army kept records on American officers. There was an account from 1927 in his German Army file about an incident in which he thought a woman was being kidnapped and took action.

·
Registered
12,323 Posts
Further comment on Patton. He was criticized for sending a column many miles behind enemy lines to a POW camp where his son-in-law was held. The mission failed and he was heavily criticized. Let me give you a different perspective.

In December 1944, he had his army ready to invade Germany. One day before the kickoff, he was called to march his troops north to meet the Germans. If he had been given the go-ahead, the war would have been shortened. Such was why he was able to move his entire army in three days.

You need to understand why he sent a column to the POW camp. He was duplicating a risky, but successful raid by Mosby during the Civil War which resulted in a Union General being captured and the defenses around Washington to be changed. If his sprint to the POW camp had been successful, it would have altered German plans.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Killing Patton is only one I've read, but I live one town over from Patton's home town of Hamilton<MA. There is a Patton Homestead that you can visit during certain times of the year. The Hamilton VFW hall has lots of photos, paintings to tribute him. The Hamilton Richdale gas station has a painted mural of Patton on the building. There is a playground named after him with a display of a WWII Sherman tank. As a kid I used to climb that tank. the kids love it.
If ever near Boston ,you should check it out

Reactions: J Lee
1 - 11 of 11 Posts