close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Good News from Kevin at Underwood Ammunition

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by 4949shooter, Nov 23, 2011.

1. 4949shooter

4949shooter

Here is the response Kevin sent me when I inquired about a 200 grain XTP loaded to true 10 millimeter velocities:

Nick-

I have the 200gr Hornady XTP 10mm bullets in stock – it’s already something we had in development.
    They should be able to ship out sometime next week as long as weather cooperates and I can get my velocities tested. They should be around 1250fps.

As soon as they are available, they will be on the website.

Thanks!
    Kevin

This is great news for those of us who don't reload..

2. G29SF

G29SF

This is good news. From what I have read, Underwood is accurate with their velocities. This is only 75 fps away from Mike's "big load" 200gr XTPs, right in line with his next-down-from-the-top loading.

Probably gives manufacturers a safer feeling to sell to the general public. Still a sweet load. And if in line with the rest of Underwood's pricing, a great deal.

Thanks!

3. arushus

arushus Biggest Member

this is good news! wonder if there is any word on a 200gr hardcast?

4. 4949shooter

4949shooter

I didn't ask about the hardcast, though he seems to be on top of what the market is demanding. I am wondering if he reads this forum Lol..

5. dryfly

dryfly Platinum Member

Merry Christmas....Thats freakin cool. I wonder if he will be able to keep up with our orders ???

6. rcd567

rcd567

I'm a fanboy...er fanoldman...is there such a thing????? At his prices, I'll keep shooting his stuff first and foremost. I realize his loads aren't nuclear, but they are good and stout. Remember, the REAL winner of the 1987 FBI extensive testing was the 170gr. hollow point traveling at 1300fps. Not nuclear either, but the best performer in a series of federally funded tests.

Keep up the good work Kevin!:thumbsup:

7. TreyG-20

TreyG-20 Second2None

8. 4949shooter

4949shooter

Absolutely. After reading some threads on G20/29's KBing, I think we will do fine with stout (as opposed to nuclear) loads. I don't think the bear, etc. will notice much difference.

Does anyone know which load the G29 KB'd with back in February? Was that one of the nukes, or was it a standard velocity 10 MM load?

9. G29SF

G29SF

Good question. I will do a little searching...

10. 4949shooter

4949shooter

Sounds good, thanks.

11. Kegs

Kegs Ol 8 fingers ;)

Good news indeed. That is a full house load in my opinion. Maybe not quite as full house as Swamp foxes, but 1250 is within the arena of what I load my own 200s (based on a ~4 1/2" bbl.). That is a safe and effective energy level for the 10mms and Glocks with aftermarket supported barrels.

As for the swampfox load that caused the KB in the G29 that was one of the 200s and it was before (the very reason actually) he separated the "for supported barrels only" and "stock glock barrel" ammo - and I believe mudrush also suggested that particular load was only safe in the G20s and not the G29s - as to what level it was loaded to, I am unsure of that info.

12. post-apocalyptic

post-apocalyptic magnifi ba$tard

It sounds as though 200gr rnds were already in development, (as I'd expect considering how Underwood is expanding its 10mm line), but you're welcome for the suggestion. :supergrin:

This is great news! The Underwood 180gr and 165gr rnds I've fired have performed extremely well. I can't wait to get some of these and Underwood's new 135gr noslers.

13. post-apocalyptic

post-apocalyptic magnifi ba$tard

I've fired a few hundred rnds of 180gr, (1300fps from a 4.6" barrel), and 165gr, (1400fps from a 4.6" barrel), Underwood through my G20-SF's stock barrel and my 6" Glock barrel without even a hint of possible overpressure.

The 200gr Underwood rnds will be quite safe to fire from Glock barrels. ;)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  14. 4949shooter

4949shooter

:supergrin: Lol good suggestion anyway! At least now we know ahead of time what's coming down the pipe.

15. Hawkeye shooter

Hawkeye shooter

This is really great news!! I'm very excited to see more "real" 10mm ammo for sale. I can't wait to try some of Kevin's 135 grn Noslers. I'll probably get some of his 165 grn hp's too. This will probably be my go to source since I can't get anymore Swampfox stuff:crying:.

16. TRaGiK

TRaGiK

That's definately not been my experience, nor a friend of mine that has shot some.

I've ran through about 50 rounds of Underwoods 180gr ammo, and get smiley's and flattened primers on about 1/3 of the brass.

With that said, it's not so bad that it's alarming to me, but is bad enough that I won't reuse the brass.

I'd definately buy more of his stuff if I didn't recently start reloading for 10.

17. notjustanothermini

notjustanothermini 'OP'

I too, tun underwood ammo through a stock g29 barrel. the brass comes out nice and straight, no smiles at all. and you know the difference when you shoot his fodder compared to silvertips.

18. dryfly

dryfly Platinum Member

Kevin responded to me today...Thanksgiving Day no less. I inquired about the 200gr xtp and he informed me he is working on it to be on his website next week. I will say I was skeptical at first...and still might be...cheap prices...arushus having feeding issues...post apolyptic wearing a dress....but with Swamp Fox gone I am in for the 200 gr XTP and HC when they come out ! Happy Holidays gang... and shoot and salute to Swamp Fox !!!

19. Aloxite

Aloxite Group W Bench

Anyone know what cases he is using? I might buy some so I can measure the case head expansion if he is using Starline.

20. arushus

arushus Biggest Member

My cases were starline on my 180gr fmj's...