Good news and bad news

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Shawn 3212, Sep 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Shawn 3212

Shawn 3212

The good news is I got the new barrel and handguard installed on my AR, the bad news is during the process, I damaged the spring which holds my dust cover open. I didn’t even notice till it was finished. Where do I get a new spring for my dust cover and how do I install it?

2. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Staff Member Moderator

If it's installed the same as a military-style model, one end of the rod/pin the door pivots on has a tiny "C"-clip on it. Short version: pop the "C"-clip off, slide the rod/pin halfway out, replace the spring and "time" the spring leg, slide the rod/pin back in the rest of the way, re-install the "C"-clip, done.

There are many different YouTube videos available on how to change the ejection port cover (or dust cover); watch a couple so you understand the process, and then jump in. You should not have to totally remove the rod/pin, as you are not changing the door, just replacing the damaged spring. Only side the rod/pin out far enough to get the new spring into place.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018

3. pgg00

pgg00

PM me your address. I have some extra springs in my tool box. I can send you one

DJ Niner likes this.
  4. Shawn 3212

Shawn 3212

Thanks for the help, guys.