close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Good Music Download Paysites?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by duncan, Mar 15, 2006.

1. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

I'm new to music downloads from pay sites and never intend to use an iPod.

I know some people are big iTunes fans but I've owned enough Apple products to tell you rechargeable batteries are just unethical in those devices!

Inexpensive mp3 players with upgradable memory suit my needs.

My wife is bugging me about Yahoo Music for downloads.

I want to just subscribe and download and slap right onto some players and burn a CD here and there.

Used MediaMonkey and it was nice.

don't want to have to worry too much about converting files - read enough to stay away from wma files too.

Any tips or sites for a newbie?

2. Rammstein

Rammstein Libertarian

Yes, I recommend a site called allofmp3.com

They are a Russian based site that only charges to the bandwidth used to download a song. Since they are based in Russia they are free to charge they price they want on goods without RIAA intervention.

A whole CD at 128KBpS will run you about one dollar.

A co-worker has been using it for nearly three and a half years now and I have been using it for about six months. Great service and cheap too. If you do get it don't use the site to buy songs; as it is too time consuming(one song at a time). Get the program they offer allofmp3 explorer.

3. duncan

So are those all mp3s?

Recent music releases?

Not looking old stuff.

LMK

4. Furant

Furant Millennium Member

I agree with allofmp3. The great thing about this site is that you can specify the compression method and quality. Since you pay per MB, it behooves you to choose one of the better CODECs. Personally, I use OGGs encoded at Q6.

It's quite a diverse selection of music. Just give it a look. I know they ask for payment up front, but I'm on my 3rd replenishment of funds up there and haven't had any problems.

OGG, Allofmp3 and MediaMonkey are three great tastes that taste great together. Throw in my iPod and I'm a happy camper (musically, at least).

Joey

5. Rammstein

Rammstein Libertarian

Yeah I never buy music from iTunes anymore. When I did I would have to do threw the process of stripping the DRM from the song. It pisses me off to no end that people are going to tell me how I can use something I legally purchased.

6. duncan

Think I'll try them out.

Can I just download at 128 kps directly in mp3 format for ease of use and transfer?

7. Rammstein

Rammstein Libertarian

Yep.

8. duncan

So just register, CC some money into my balance, get the explorer, search, and download?

9. Rammstein

Rammstein Libertarian

Yes sir. It is exactly that easy. The GUI for the explorer program takes a little while to get the hang of as they didn't make it user friendly as say iTunes. However, it doesn't take long to learn it.

Also, if you are a fan of music from other countries they have their music as well.

10. nickg

nickg

"paysite" -- WHAT THE HELL IS THAT? ? ? ;f ;f

11. Glock Bob

Glock Bob Snack Attack!!!

I recommend buymusic.com. It downloads as a protected WMA, but you can just burn your files as WAV to a CD (using Media Player) then rip it back to MP3.

12. Rammstein

Rammstein Libertarian

Why even have to do that with music you legally bought? No company should tell you how you can use YOUR property. Besides, circumventing the DRM is a violation of the contract you agreed to when you bought the music from them.

13. Glock Bob

Well, that's how iTunes does it (protected MP4 format). Besides, they allow me to burn it up to X times and store it on X number of computers. It has also been found legal for a consumer to have a back-up copy of his or her legally-purchased media for personal use.

14. Rammstein

Rammstein Libertarian

Actually, you can only burn it to a CD 7 times and store it on 5 computers. Also, the real problem is not just apple but all music that is DRM protected is that you are betting that that standard is going to stay in place. A person could have MP3s from 8 plus years ago and can still play them. Are you willing to bet the money you paid for those songs (remember that is a dollar a song) that Apple's version will be playable in a decade from now? I know my MP3s will be because I will be able to convert them to any new standard freely and without restriction.

As for the legality of making back up copies of legally purchased music. . .I suggest you read a court case that the RIAA and MPAA is trying to have heard that will make that a no-no.

I wouldn't find it acceptable if the supermarket told me that I could only drink the milk I just bought and could not give it to anyone else. DRM is ridiculous.

15. srhoades

srhoades

But you are not buying a licensed copy of milk. You are buying a quantity of milk. And when you purchase a CD or mp3 you are not buying the rights to the song, just a license to have a copy of it.

16. nikegolf13

nikegolf13 bumpy knuckles

Took the words straight from my mouth! ;e

17. grokdesigns

grokdesigns

After reading about it on here, I decided to try allofmp3.com. So far it seems great!

18. Rammstein

Rammstein Libertarian

True but, I should be able to do what I want to with my copy.

19. Glock Bob

Rammstein,

You're right about the thousands of formats that have sprung up in the last few years, especially the protected ones. It's hard to know if they'll be usable down the road. However, that's why I burn mine then rip them to MP3 as it has proven a reliable format and should be around for years to come.

As far as the RIAA is concerned, making a back-up copy is protected by law. Not anything in the Constitution or anything, but by case law, which is only reviewable if the court who rules on it (or any court higher) decides to do so. Quite frankly I see no problem in making as many back-ups of legally-purchased music/video/whatever someone wishes to make so long as it's for personal use. That person is making no money (royalties) off of the copies. If the RIAA pushes too far they will find themselves in deep quick sand when people cease purchasing music altogether so as to avoid legal action.