close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Good meatloaf recipes?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by maynardwix, Feb 2, 2010.

1. maynardwix

maynardwix Notre Dame Fan!

I don't have a meatloaf recipe, but I have always liked my mom's meatloaf. Same goes for my wife, she is a fan of her mothers meatloaf. So she is making it tomorrow night and we couldn't figure out which mothers recipe to get.

I told her I'd fix it by coming here and getting some recipes from you guys and we'd try one of them.

So lets hear some meatloaf recipes.

:popcorn:

2. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

3. ccourt13

ccourt13 CCOURT13

I got this recipe off of Men's Health and am actually having it tonight. It's very good.

1/2 lb ground sirloin
    1/2 lb ground turkey breast
    2 eggs
    1 cup whole-wheat crackers, crushed
    3/4 cup diced onion
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    1/2 tsp dried oregano
    1/2 cup barbecue sauce, plus extra

1. Mix the beef and turkey until well blended. Add the eggs. Mix in the remaining ingredients, including the half cup of barbecue sauce, until well blended.

2. Form the meat mixture into a loaf shape and place it on a broiler pan. Coat it with the extra barbecue sauce.

3. Cook at 350°F for 1 hour. Double-check the internal temperature with a meat thermometer; it should read 160°F. Makes 4 servings

Per serving 366 calories, 32 g protein, 31 g carbs, 13 g fat (4 g saturated), 3 g fiber, 581 mg sodium

4. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

Tagged, I love meatloaf. Great thread!!! :supergrin:

5. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Alton brown is a good source

Ingredients
    6 ounces garlic-flavored croutons
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/2 onion, roughly chopped
    1 carrot, peeled and broken
    3 whole cloves garlic
    1/2 red bell pepper
    18 ounces ground chuck
    18 ounces ground sirloin
    1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 egg
    For the glaze:
    1/2 cup catsup
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    Dash Worcestershire sauce
    Dash hot pepper sauce
    1 tablespoon honey
    Directions
    Heat oven to 325 degrees F.

In a food processor bowl, combine croutons, black pepper, cayenne pepper, chili powder, and thyme. Pulse until the mixture is of a fine texture. Place this mixture into a large bowl. Combine the onion, carrot, garlic, and red pepper in the food processor bowl. Pulse until the mixture is finely chopped, but not pureed. Combine the vegetable mixture, ground sirloin, and ground chuck with the bread crumb mixture. Season the meat mixture with the kosher salt. Add the egg and combine thoroughly, but avoid squeezing the meat.

(I like to add 1/2 cup of chopped jalapenos.)

Pack this mixture into a 10-inch loaf pan to mold the shape of the meatloaf. Onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, turn the meatloaf out of the pan onto the center of the tray. Insert a temperature probe at a 45 degree angle into the top of the meatloaf. Avoid touching the bottom of the tray with the probe. Set the probe for 155 degrees.

Combine the catsup, cumin, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce and honey. Brush the glaze onto the meatloaf after it has been cooking for about 10 minutes.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  6. alphacat

alphacat account deleted

<------ Likes meatloaf. :cow:

Here's my tip.

The cold meat on my hands it makes them hurt, a lot.
    I use the bread hook on my mixer to mix up the meat and spices. Works for me and my hands don't hurt after wards.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  7. StanA

StanA Millennium Member

Good ones so far! More, More! :supergrin:

8. TomZ

TomZ Lifetime Member

A classic: Quaker Oats Prize Winning Meatloaf. Nothing fancy, a basic moist meatloaf. The use of oats in lieu of bread is the major variation. I usually use this as a starting point, adding bell peppers, mushrooms, Siracha sauce, etc.

http://www.quakeroats.com/cooking-and-recipes/content/recipes/recipe-detail.aspx?recipeId=486

Ingredients

• 1-1/2 pounds 90% lean ground beef
    • 1 cup tomato juice or tomato sauce
    • 3/4 cup Quaker® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
    • 1 egg or 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
    • 1/4 cup chopped onion
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
    • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper

[​IMG]
    Preparation

Heat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, combine all ingredients, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Press into 8 x 4-inch loaf pan.
    Bake 1 hour to medium (160°F) doneness until not pink in center and juices show no pink color. Let stand 5 minutes; drain off any juices before slicing.
    • Prep Time: 15 min
    • Cook Time Time: 55 min
    Variations

<li>Customize meatloaf by adding one of the following to meatloaf ingredients: <br> 1/2 cup frozen (thawed) or canned (drained) corn <br> 1/2 cup chopped green or red bell pepper <br> One 2-1/2-ounce jar sliced mushrooms, drained <br> 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese <br> 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley or cilantro<br> <li>Sprinkle top of baked meatloaf with 1 cup shredded cheese. Return to oven for 3 minutes to melt cheese.<br> <li>Spoon heated prepared spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce, barbecue sauce or salsa over each serving.</ul>
    Yield

Nutrition Information

1/8 of recipe
    (0)
    submit your own

9. MrKandiyohi

MrKandiyohi Millennium Member

Use a standard meatloaf recipe and layer the top with bacon, BBQ sauce and extra brown sugar.

10. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

Meatloaf is a touchy subject for me right now lol.
    Went to Golden Corral yesterday, I always get meatloaf with taters and macaroni & cheese for my first plate. They were out so I walked around awhile, got some roast. Come back and they'd refilled it.

No ketchup on top. It was covered in gravy. It was like salsbury meatloaf. I was pissed.

11. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

Not much to meatloaf to make it good, smoke it if you want it great. Just remember a couple eggs and breadcrumbs, then season and add what you like, I do it all the time, but smoke it up. It's almost idiotproof.